It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2004, 01:43 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

west virginia girl HB User
Just so sick and tired of it all....

I'm sorry if this turns out to be a long post but I just don't know what all I need to say right now.
My question I wanted to ask though is has anyone tried hypnosis for OCD? Even though I am scared of being hypnotised(can't spell) I am at my wits in. My worst obsession right now and has been for years now is obsessional thinking about God..how everything got here...ect. I don't see it ever stopping because there aren't any specific answers and I feel if I don't stop this some how that I am seriously going to lose my mind which isn't impossible. All the so called helpful medicine I have been on has worked to a point by never letting my mind have enough time to just rest. But getting off these meds are well I can't put in words how bad it is. Just needing some feedback on personal experiences with hypnosis....wasn't to long of a post

Old 08-05-2004, 05:43 AM   #2

rinkjustice HB User
Re: Just so sick and tired of it all....

I haven't tried hypnosis, and I don't believe it would work anyway. I do however ruminate obsessively about God, which in turn triggers blasphemous thoughts. That being said, I think it's important to be mindful of God. It's good to ponder and theorize about the mechanisms of creation. I sometimes try to picture God in His state of incomprehensible Holiness and perfection, effortlessly overseeing every thought, feeling and action of every living creature in the universe. No particle escapes His attention. Planets move at His whim. Yet, with all this activity going on on earth and in the heavens, I know we are His absolute top priority.

We are supposed to be ever-mindful of God. I believe these ruminations, no matter how obsessive they may seem, are a form of worship and adoration to our Heavenly Father.

Well, there I go again Ihope you feel a little better. God bless you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2004, 01:18 AM   #3

rinkjustice HB User

Excuse my last post... it was a little incoherant and I apologise. As I was writing it I was fighting to stay awake (and not do a faceplant into my keyboard). Night shift really does a number on me :P

I guess the point I was trying to make is you're not alone and that things really aren't so bad.

Have a great day!

Old 08-10-2004, 12:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

west virginia girl HB User

Hi Rinkjustice
I hear what you are saying and no need to apologize for the post. It was great. I am just trying to keep in mind that my OCD keeps questions about GOD coming repeatly over and over again to the point I get physically sick.
Hope all is well.

Last edited by west virginia girl; 08-10-2004 at 12:46 PM.

Old 08-11-2004, 09:35 PM   #5

paladin333 HB User

west virgina girl, you really really need to see a cognitive behavioral therapist. This psychologist will teach you to control your behavior so that you wont have to let the thoughts bother you. Or you can get the self help book "brain-lock"..... Meds only do part of the work,,,,, you have to do the CBT part... in combo of the 2 you will see a great big difference in about a year..... I suggest you take time off to concentrate on getting better and have low stress while you do.... you dont need the hassle or distraction. Its a vacation to get better.... a convalesence.

The trick I do is I am mentally aware and ready for an obsessive worry. When It hits I accept it and change my mind to something else and ignore the worry. And the anxiety gets less and less each time.... I do it all the time now and dont even notice it...... note: it doesnt work just once and youre cured.... its an exercise for life. It can also help you quit smoking too..... but who wants to do that.... heheh God bless you on your journey to wellness. Leave your worries in God's hands every time.... he will answer them in do time..... enjoy life while he takes care of things.

Last edited by paladin333; 08-11-2004 at 09:37 PM.

Old 10-24-2004, 08:08 AM   #6

LapLand HB User

Hi, West Virginia girl

I sometimes worry about faith-related things, and I consider myself to be a very faith-filled person, so this causes much distress. One "trick" that has helped me is to read spiritual books and watch spiritual movies. Ones that build up your faith in God. That way you are not combatting your ocd alone.

I hope that helps!

Old 10-28-2004, 01:53 PM   #7

crookiemonster HB User

hi... best thing to do is use cognitive behavioral therapy along side with the meds you take. I myself am an obsessive compulsive, but also a schizoaffective...(in better words, schizophrenic and manic depressive)....

Ive been obsessive compulsive since I was 9 years old, and now Im 35. I went untreated for ocd for 24 years.... begging to be treated for it by every doctor I saw. (course, they had to be bash over the head with it).
I have ocd in a very bad way... its my worst of my disorders, yet with 80mgs of celexa and the CBT therapy I got from the book "brain lock", plus using the advice I got from doctors over the years, and a little inginuity with the cbt method, Ive beaten my two illnesses to a point where I have freedom to think clearly. Unfortunately now I have to learn my life skills that went neglected for 15 years.

I got a form of cbt for you to try. Mindful of your intruding worries, confess that you do that all the time to God, and apologize for it, like as if it were a bad sinful habit, and promise never to do it again, but to live an upright life, in a well balanced manner pleasing to jesus if He were an extremely understanding person (since He is). With your mind focused on that, leave your obsessions to God to deal with. He`s better equipped. This way your mind isnt on your worries its on living life which He would want you to do for yourself.

Good luck.... P.s. This cbt therapy is an adaptation of the prayer of salvation, which you should use also to be saved, if you are not christian. Otherwise being a non beleiver in Jesus, He wont be able to help you.<

And it all should be done in deep sincerity. peace your friend James

Last edited by crookiemonster; 10-28-2004 at 01:55 PM.

Closed Thread