It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2004, 11:21 PM   #1

wishyouwerehere HB User
OCD and Medication . . .

undefinedundefinedundefined

Hey Everyone, I'm new to this forum so please bear with me.

I have a few questions about medications - which ones seem to help,and which ones don't. I was diagnosed a few years ago with severe anxiety, ocd and depression, and recently with A.D.D. Currently I am on 40mg Adderall Xr, 20-30mg Adderall, 30mg Prozac daily, and 50-150mg of Trazodone as needed for sleep. I started the Prozac about three weeks ago, but haven't noticed any changes so far...how long does it usually take to work? I have tried Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro and Paxil already, all of which did not work/had too many negative side effects. Are there any other medications that I should ask my doctor about? I'm pretty frustrated that nothing's working so far. Also, is Adderall known to make OCD symptoms worse?

Thank you for any feedback

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2004, 01:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

west virginia girl HB User
Talking Re: OCD and Medication . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishyouwerehere
undefinedundefinedundefined

Hey Everyone, I'm new to this forum so please bear with me.

I have a few questions about medications - which ones seem to help,and which ones don't. I was diagnosed a few years ago with severe anxiety, ocd and depression, and recently with A.D.D. Currently I am on 40mg Adderall Xr, 20-30mg Adderall, 30mg Prozac daily, and 50-150mg of Trazodone as needed for sleep. I started the Prozac about three weeks ago, but haven't noticed any changes so far...how long does it usually take to work? I have tried Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro and Paxil already, all of which did not work/had too many negative side effects. Are there any other medications that I should ask my doctor about? I'm pretty frustrated that nothing's working so far. Also, is Adderall known to make OCD symptoms worse?

Thank you for any feedback
Hi and Welcome When I first started having panic attacks I just thought I was going crazy and didn't go to the doctor. But then I started having severe pain that I could feel move through my chest and back...very scary and painful. My doc said it was just another form of anxiety and he put me on paxil which helped me a great deal but after after a little over four years of being on it I got really sick and totally freaked out and I think it had alot to do with the paxil. But I was diagnosed with Depression and Ocd and of course the anxiety. I already knew I had Ocd...cause I can remember being seven years old and doing my little complusions and all. I think the Ocd is all of my problem really. I am currently on celexa now 60mg which doesn't do crap I don't think for the Ocd. I am going to ask my doctor about taking Anafranie(clomipramine) for ocd. You can search the web about Adderall and see what its says about Ocd. It will take the Prozac time to get to it's full capability to help you. You should be noticing some changes with how you feel soon though. I'm starting to really rethink all these pills. Wondering if they do more harm then good in the long run anyway.
Let me know how you are doing.
Take Care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2004, 09:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User
Re: OCD and Medication . . .

I read as much as I can about ocd and tretment. The books say medications do not help ocd symptoms very much.

Old 08-10-2004, 11:03 AM   #4
(female)

girl3900 HB User
Re: OCD and Medication . . .

I think they all take about a month to start working and 2 months for the full effect. To state the obvious, working with a therapist would probobly be your best bet.

Closed Thread