It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2004, 08:01 AM   #1

blue*moon HB User
I have a strange problem

OK....ehm...I wasn't too sure where to put this, I've tried the stress & anxiety forum, but they sent me here.

I have a very strange problem....I have a hard time going to the toilet in public restrooms. Very often when I need to go...I sit there and nothing happens....I really need to go but it just won't happen. And the more I need to , the worse are chances that I actually can.
This really bothers me, because sometimes when I'm on a trip, all I do is run from one restroom to the next , then I sit there and wait, try to relax, try to set my mind on other things, until I finally think I can't wait any longer because other people might ask themselves why I am spending so much time on a toilet, and then I go on, searching for the next toilet.....
Does anyone know whether there's anything I can do about it? And by the way, it runs in the family I think.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2004, 08:10 AM   #2
(male)

kingam HB User
Re: I have a strange problem

i have the same thing... but i cant go #2 in public bathrooms if other people are in there... even when i go to **** i can hardly do it, and the longer it takes i start thinking "they can tell im not peeing, they are wondering what im doing"...

it sucks... i just accept it as a personality quirk... not something i have to "fix"... its a social phobia...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2004, 09:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wowwwweeee HB User
Cool Re: I have a strange problem

Hi,

It sounds like you may have a phobia akin to another phobia called BBS, or Bashful Bladder Symptom.

BBS is a type of social phobia, meaning a person is usually shy and fears being scrutinized or criticized by others when performing in public— in this case, urinating in a public restroom.

If you do a search on this condition on the Internet, you may find some tips to help you overcome the current problems you are experiencing.

Usually, exposure and practice are the best tools to use to overcome this type of phobia.

Good luck!

Old 08-09-2004, 10:15 AM   #4

blue*moon HB User

well....first of all....I'm a girl, so have my own isolated toilet ....still I have lots of trouble.
Good to hear that there are others...
Practise doesn't help....because I tried that very often....
well...I'll see whether I can find anything, thanks for your replies

Old 08-09-2004, 02:40 PM   #5
(female)

girl3900 HB User

"they can tell im not peeing, they are wondering what im doing"..

hehe...sorry to laugh but I thought i was the only one with this problem. It's kinda funny but frustrating. I usually have my friend come into the bathroom and turn the water on so you can't hear if I'm going or not. If it's dead quiet and there's another person in the bathroom, there's absolutely no way I can go. It's kinda like I feel too pressured to do it. What I do is try not to think about it so much....just get in there and go. If I still can't, I plug my ears and tell myself I can do it. haha

Old 08-09-2004, 02:44 PM   #6

blue*moon HB User

hmm, that is exactly the way I feel about it.... running water also helps sometimes....
plugging my ears....hey, my mum just suggested I should take my mp3 player to the toilet and listen to music....and you just plug your ears....hm, I guess I'm gonna try that the next time

Old 08-09-2004, 03:18 PM   #7
White Sneakers1

You may want to try some counseling then, to get to the root of why you are experiencing this psychological issue. It's worth a try! Take care.

Last edited by White Sneakers1; 08-09-2004 at 03:19 PM.

Old 08-09-2004, 06:17 PM   #8
Inactive

Mario21 HB User

"they can tell im not peeing, they are wondering what im doing"

the problem with people with OCD is that this type of thinking is considered a problem. i've noticed so many things in these boards about "problems" that people with OCD have, that people without OCD do also, but just don't think is a problem. i've thought that before, but thats not a problem! if your not peeing, then people will think "hmm, that person is not peeing." well, YOUR NOT PEEING! THEY SHOUD THINK THAT! how is this thinking a problem? who cares, just pee, you'll never see these people again.

Old 08-09-2004, 07:22 PM   #9
(male)

kingam HB User

hahaha, dont worry girl3900, i know how funny it can be... youre right mario, it ISNT a big deal... its funny though, ive had this problem since i was a little kid, but it wasnt until my head exploded into a firey pit of OCD and doubt that i tried to address it...

when it came down to either being able to drive on the highway again, or take a ****, i chose the driving... lol... ill work on the bathroom thing last... its the least frustrating... if someone is in there, i just wash my hands like thats what i went in there for and try again in 15 mins... lol... again, pee'ing i can usually handle 90% of the time.. its the #2 that drives me crazy...

the thing is, our VP of marketing sits on the can and he just lets er' rip... i get jealous... lol.. the dude just doesnt care...

(by the way, ive seen its him when he leaves the stall and im in there.. im not peaking under stall walls HAHAHAHA)

Old 08-09-2004, 08:17 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mecpcpj HB User

Man, I know how you feel! when I moved to a college dorm last summer I couldn't go #2 for about a month it seemed! I had to go but I just couldn't! Eventually I found one bathroom in the dorm that was always quiet and never had anyone in it so I became comfortable with that setting. If it were any other bathroom, forget about it, I just couldn't go!

Old 08-09-2004, 08:48 PM   #11
(male)

kingam HB User

when i used to work in NYC, i used to have to use the bathroom on the top floor of the lord and taylor across the street... it was clean, and best of all NO ONE used it (other than my boss who had the same problem)... lol... it was like our own private bathroom...

Old 08-09-2004, 10:38 PM   #12
(female)

girl3900 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecpcpj
Man, I know how you feel! when I moved to a college dorm last summer I couldn't go #2 for about a month it seemed! I had to go but I just couldn't! Eventually I found one bathroom in the dorm that was always quiet and never had anyone in it so I became comfortable with that setting. If it were any other bathroom, forget about it, I just couldn't go!
I'm kinda ashamed to admit it, but one of my biggest fears is getting married and having to go #2 around my husband. A couple of my brothers friends spent the night for the past 3 days and I couldn't go until they all left. It sucked. haha.

I don't know how some people just let 'em rip when others are in the bathroom. I've noticed that old ladies don't seem to care.

Old 08-10-2004, 01:21 PM   #13
Inactive

ontheway HB User

I have that problem too, If your taking any medicine its most likly in some cases the medicine as for me its the medicine i went for a check up and the doc explain some things to me and it could always being something eles. it drives me up the wall and its very annoying i have to go ALL THE TIME and its like my bladder is full but only a little at a time comes out in 10 minutes later i feel i might have to go again etc or however it is in between from the time I went from the time I have to go again its quite often that I go though
not sure what to do about it, im as of noow waiting on docs responce to see if its other things so i can get this fixed and be on with it lol

Old 08-11-2004, 07:29 PM   #14
(female)

artbuggy3 HB User

This is sorta related so I though i would post it. I was at camp a few weeks ago...it was at a college and we were all afraid/embarised to go #2 so we had a pooping party lol we all went in there at once and it wasn't so bad. Maybe this might help someone......

Closed Thread