It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2004, 01:26 PM   #1
Inactive

ontheway HB User
I have a common question

This has probably been asked many,many times, but I'm having a very hard week and when i get a new doc and appointment set up, I'm going to go see and I want to ask to be put on prozac, with my other medication i took i gain sooooooooo much weight and have finally lost a lot of it, I want to know if prozac has made any of you gain weight ? and if it has truly helped with intrusive thoughts, because thats whats got my life on hold is these very bad religious and other intrusive thoughts and I don't like suffering this way and I want it to stop, I'm just scared of new medication in what it does to the body, because mine has change mine so much. please if anyone is taking prozac and it has helped with the thoughts and not gainb weight please let me know..i would very much appreciate it thanks so much (( hugs to all )) God bless always

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2004, 06:52 PM   #2

wishyouwerehere HB User
Re: I have a common question

Hey there. I've only been on Prozac for a few weeks so far, but it hasn't made me gain any weight yet (all the other medications I've tried made me gain weight within the first month, expecially Paxil.) Like you, I was/am worried that this one would do the same. I guess the side effects for every medication can be different for every person. What medication were you on previously? I can't tell yet if the Prozac is helping me- it seems to be making my OCD worse, but I'm going to try and stick with it for at least another month.

One of the keys to getting better is finding a therapist (and doctor for medication if your therapist can't do prescriptions) that you trust and can communicate with. If you trust who you're getting medication from and are comfortable with asking them questions, you'll be more willing to try the medication. Just keep in mind that if a medication doesnt work for you, or you don't like the side effects, you can call your doctor and they can help you get off of it immediately - don't do it by yourself.

Good luck with everything, I hope your week gets better!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2004, 08:58 PM   #3
(female)

girl3900 HB User

All the antidepressants I've went on have made me loose a ton of weight mostly because I was so nervous all the time. That was probobly the only good thing that happened to me while on them. Although, once I got off I ate nonstop and gained it all back plus a few lbs.

Old 08-11-2004, 03:30 PM   #4
Inactive

ontheway HB User

Thank y'all for replying to me, the medicine that really made me gain the most weight was remeron and I had to stop taking it, I basically took it for sleeping and it helped with depression

I want to be better with my thinking, my mental health. I have lost alot of weight that i had gained in the past I want to be put on one that does not make me gain anymore. I thibk prozac sounds good, I don't know how it will work for my body, but I'm willing to try, If i do notice a change in my weight I will change the medicine.

I just don't want to suffer with these intrusive thoughts anymore. I really need the right doc and medicine and more therapy to work with hopefully I will be blessed and get better which im already blessed but I mean I want to improve more. thanks again

anyone eles can give me some info on prozac more infor is welcome, thanks again guys for responding to this post

God bless y'all always

Old 08-11-2004, 04:05 PM   #5

EnchantdFirecat HB User

The only one I have heard of that hasnt actually had weight gain as a side effect but weight loss is topomax.

Old 08-11-2004, 06:15 PM   #6
Inactive

ontheway HB User

I think I've heard of topomax, making you lose weight. I'm not sure if thats the one i heard for sure or not.. but sounds like it. what is topomax for, does it help in OCD ? thanks for replying to me God bless ya always

Old 08-11-2004, 09:45 PM   #7

EnchantdFirecat HB User

well... I have ocd and bi polar 2 and a bunch of other things so Im on alot of meds like five of them Im not sure if shes giving me the topomax for the ocd or bi polar or both. I can however ask her if u would like as i go to see her this week.

Old 08-11-2004, 10:07 PM   #8

paladin333 HB User

might I suggest celexa rather than prozac... prozac has the potential to make some people hallucinate.... be careful. Also get the book "brain-lock".... and see a cognitive behavioral therapist.... CBT and meds in combination with each other did wonders for me. meds only do part of the work... you got to do your part too. Thats where CBT comes in. By the way... for the anxiety try "buspar". It's a non-addictive anti-anxiety medication. See your shrink about all this and about seeing a therapist. Good luck on your wellness journey.... May God be with you and bless you... REV. J. Crook [url]www.ficotw.org[/url]

Old 08-14-2004, 02:37 AM   #9

Kyarahh HB User

I took Prozac about ten years ago, and though I don't know why, I did end up gaining weight. The way I'd describe my experience on Prozac, which lasted about eight months, is I felt like I was in a fog, and I began to not really care too much what happened. I am one to have to keep an eye on my weight, and for some reason, taking Prozac made me not care as much.

Per my experience, that was the logical reason for my weight gain, not worrying about my figure anymore. I've often wondered if that is part of why 'weight gain' is listed as a side effect of the drug...?

Old 08-14-2004, 01:13 PM   #10
(female)

Mom2ocder HB User
Smile Re: I have a common question

My son has taken Prozac now for 3 months and is not gaining weight like he DID on Zoloft. In fact, his gaining weight caused him to have some Anerexia type problems too. As I mentioned before on other threads...he had a very bad experience on Zoloft. It also made him not care about anything. I did not know who this person was anymore. After him being put on high doses of Zoloft, Risperdal and Depekote and being told to put him in a "special" school, I sought a second opinion. My son's Dr. did not want to change medications. So I took him to another Dr. for a second opinion who in turn believed it was essential to change meds. and who was shocked that his previous Dr. did not want to change meds. It seems clear that every individual has a different reaction to different meds so one must keep changing meds until they find the ones that work.

Prozac has been wonderful for him. We have found recently that 60 mg Prozac was the most his body could handle without having negative symptoms such as aggitation etc. We were trying for 80 mg. He has been taken off the Risperdal which was given to combat his aggitation/hostility/aggressivenss etc. that he experienced on Zoloft. He does not take Depekote as a mood stailizer because it was determined that this was not needed once the Zoloft was removed. Seems Zoloft was bringing out bi-polar tendencies. He is going to start Buspar in 2 weeks to help with the anxiety. He is on the road to success and I hope others out there will listen and keep searching for the right medication for your body.

My sons reaction to Prozac has been so uplifting. He just repeated his failed classes in HS and he changed his F's to B's. He smiles, seems happy, but he still has OCD and has good/bad days. It is going to be a long battle.

This week, his Dr. recommended that we purchase the "Brain Lock" book like mentioned in this thread. She says it is the best.

I am so appreciative of the board and all of you that share your experiences. It has helped me sort everything out in the best interest of my son.
MOM2OCDER

Old 08-14-2004, 11:14 PM   #11

Kyarahh HB User

Hello, Mom2ocder ~ I read the first line of your post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2ocder
My son has taken Prozac now for 3 months and is not gaining weight like he DID on Zoloft....
... and I immediately had the same thought you 'highlighted' in red:

Quote:
It seems clear that every individual has a different reaction to different meds so one must keep changing meds until they find the ones that work.
It's probably a trial and error type of thing with the drug class of anti-depressants; I'm sure they work differently with everyone. I want to offer you love and understanding ~ I'm sure it is rough for you to see your son go thru his struggles. Best of wishes to you, Hun!

Old 08-16-2004, 06:08 PM   #12
(female)

Mom2ocder HB User

Thanks Kyarahh for your thoughts of support.

I have learned a great deal about mental health this past year.

First:There is no single magic pill to take.
Trial and Error is the approach taken with these meds. I have found that the problem is that each medication takes about 4-6 weeks to see if it is effective. If it does not seem to work, the Dr. ups the dose again..... and possibly again....and takes a WAIT AND SEE approach. IT is very time consuming and frustrating especially when you are watching someone suffer.

As in my son's case, he got worse after each increase of Zoloft; But rather than rationalize that the Zoloft was making him worse, the Doctor said his OCD was just getting worse. My son, for some reason could not verbally express how he felt (I think he was in a "fog" and "zoned out") and so his evaluation was left up to what I witnessed. His Doctor was so hell-bent on Zoloft that he tried to mask his negative reactions with more mediations such as Risperdal and Depekote. I had no clue....But I did see enough that I was questioning the medications. From a statistical point, I have learned that Zoloft usually has the least side affects so that is why he wanted to stick with it. We did for 8 months....way too long. His life was crumbleing and he was suicidal.

But what I want to get across to those who are in the same crossroad as I was in....Listen to your gut feeling. Your mental health is vital to a successful future. I know money can be an issue...it is to us. We skipped our summer vacation because of the bills. I really did like his Doctor and I felt that by getting a second opinion was betraying his trust.... but it was killing me internally to see my son spiral downward. It took me to became desperate for him to make me react. I feel guilty that I waited too long. Doctors are human and it is your right and your responsiblity to get a second opinion to protect yourself. Be your own best advocate.
My son is fortunate that the Prozac is working. His new Doctor really listens to what we say. She is outside of our insurance but well worth it. I will post when he begins the Buspar for his anxiety. With the previous Doctor, I kept telling him that anxiety was an integral participant with his OCD and he wouldn't listen. This Doctor listened, noticed and has asked that we try Buspar for 2 weeks to see if it calms him down. I am hopeful that this combination will help.

I am sure there are many worried Moms reading these boards. Let me offer you my testimony to help you with your child. I hope it helps.
MOM2OCDER

Old 08-16-2004, 09:34 PM   #13

karigirl HB User

well, here my 2 cents about prozac

i didnt gain any weight...altho that shouldnt be as important as your mental health . if your putting on weight, then exercise...which should be done anyways for a person with an axiety disorder...
prozac didnt allow me to feel much, or cry. but i guess you can say i was happy! it aggitaged my anxiety though...
but as has been said a billion times, everyone reacts differently
good luck

Old 08-18-2004, 08:24 PM   #14
Inactive

ontheway HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karigirl
well, here my 2 cents about prozac

i didnt gain any weight...altho that shouldnt be as important as your mental health . if your putting on weight, then exercise...which should be done anyways for a person with an axiety disorder...
prozac didnt allow me to feel much, or cry. but i guess you can say i was happy! it aggitaged my anxiety though...
but as has been said a billion times, everyone reacts differently
good luck

Hey Karigirl

I was told by my doc mental health is first, so while I was on the medicine trying to see if it would " work " I gain weight up to 178, my physical health could have been in danger to gain that weight so much fast especially for my body type and meanwhile I'm still having hard time and now i have another problem that causes depression the weight gain.. It took a while for me to lost the weight that I have and im not willing to try and see if it works and gain all this weight and start all over again thats why I'd ratter try one that has the less side effects because i have so many physical problems due to the medicine im on... but I would like for the intrusive thoughts to stop.. its just a bad situation to me please forgive me if what I typed seems rude..OCd causes me my life, my image, and im trying to see how i can get better in stay ok with my body as well (( hugs )) take care God bless always

Old 08-18-2004, 08:28 PM   #15
Inactive

ontheway HB User

Quote:
Thanks Kyarahh for your thoughts of support.

I have learned a great deal about mental health this past year.

First:There is no single magic pill to take.
Trial and Error is the approach taken with these meds. I have found that the problem is that each medication takes about 4-6 weeks to see if it is effective. If it does not seem to work, the Dr. ups the dose again..... and possibly again....and takes a WAIT AND SEE approach. IT is very time consuming and frustrating especially when you are watching someone suffer.

As in my son's case, he got worse after each increase of Zoloft; But rather than rationalize that the Zoloft was making him worse, the Doctor said his OCD was just getting worse. My son, for some reason could not verbally express how he felt (I think he was in a "fog" and "zoned out") and so his evaluation was left up to what I witnessed. His Doctor was so hell-bent on Zoloft that he tried to mask his negative reactions with more mediations such as Risperdal and Depekote. I had no clue....But I did see enough that I was questioning the medications. From a statistical point, I have learned that Zoloft usually has the least side affects so that is why he wanted to stick with it. We did for 8 months....way too long. His life was crumbleing and he was suicidal.

But what I want to get across to those who are in the same crossroad as I was in....Listen to your gut feeling. Your mental health is vital to a successful future. I know money can be an issue...it is to us. We skipped our summer vacation because of the bills. I really did like his Doctor and I felt that by getting a second opinion was betraying his trust.... but it was killing me internally to see my son spiral downward. It took me to became desperate for him to make me react. I feel guilty that I waited too long. Doctors are human and it is your right and your responsiblity to get a second opinion to protect yourself. Be your own best advocate.
My son is fortunate that the Prozac is working. His new Doctor really listens to what we say. She is outside of our insurance but well worth it. I will post when he begins the Buspar for his anxiety. With the previous Doctor, I kept telling him that anxiety was an integral participant with his OCD and he wouldn't listen. This Doctor listened, noticed and has asked that we try Buspar for 2 weeks to see if it calms him down. I am hopeful that this combination will help.

I am sure there are many worried Moms reading these boards. Let me offer you my testimony to help you with your child. I hope it helps.
MOM2OCDER
Hey Mom2ocder

I take zoloft with risperdal, in my doc mis dignosed me, I do not need to be taking risperdal.. I need to be taking a medicine for OCD .. I heard that prozac is less side effects and I heard good responces about it.. but I also hear some negative ones. I just hope it will be a blessing to be put on it.. I just want my life back, I'd like to feel Joy instead of fear all the time because this is not me this is OCD and im stuck in its world and when I try and move out of it it always pulls me back I'm really tired and at times just have thoughts of giving up but I know I cant so i stick it out and its never really " Good " for me its just ok at times , most of the time it hurts so much thanks for replying to me, God bless u always

Closed Thread