It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2004, 10:28 AM   #1
(female)

bm28 HB User
With OCD when do you feel "better?"

I was just wondering what consists of feeling better? I mean, when will I know when I'm finally okay? I've been on Luvox now for about 2.5 months and I don't have the obsessive thoughts as much now but I still have them. Also, some days I still feel depressed and don't feel like doing much of anything. There's not many days that I can say I feel "good." I was just hoping someone could give me some insight/advice if you've gotten past the ugly parts of this disorder . Thanks, Beth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2004, 02:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: With OCD when do you feel "better?"

you could ask about upping the luvox dose in the hope it may help you more

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2004, 06:40 PM   #3
(male)

kingam HB User

i find my stress ups the OCD... in addition, it takes me a LONG TIME to come down... for example... i broke up with my ex june 29th... i had a massive onslaught shortly thereafter, and now, august 12th or whatever its just finally calming down...

its a slippery slope.

Old 08-13-2004, 08:55 AM   #4
(female)

bm28 HB User

Thanks, I know it is uncharted waters with OCD and I realize there is not a stable answer but I think I do need more Luvox. I go to the Dr. today so I'll see what he says.

Old 08-13-2004, 03:22 PM   #5
(male)

kingam HB User

its a lot of willpower dude... figuring out obsessive from realistic beahvior... it may take you a while, but the more you know about the disorder and how you think, the better off you are..

Old 08-14-2004, 02:21 AM   #6
Inactive

Frank168 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm28
I was just wondering what consists of feeling better? I mean, when will I know when I'm finally okay? I've been on Luvox now for about 2.5 months and I don't have the obsessive thoughts as much now but I still have them. Also, some days I still feel depressed and don't feel like doing much of anything. There's not many days that I can say I feel "good." I was just hoping someone could give me some insight/advice if you've gotten past the ugly parts of this disorder . Thanks, Beth

Beth,

You ask when you'll be finally okay? Well depends on your definition of okay. If you mean when will you be normal again like before the onset of your OCD, then probably not for a loooooooong time if ever. That's because OCD is chronic. Meds may help you for as long as you take them but you probably won't be cured 100%. If you learn to accept all your symptoms and know that you are in it for the long haul then eventually you will grow to accept it and adapt to your condition. The problem with many is that most desperately want to be cured and be the way they were before onset of their OCD. That's just fighting hard to hold onto something that's gone. Instead a better way to face this is to accept the condition and use your efforts to work around it and get on with life. If you take this attitude and actually welcome the OCD bully into your life then it's grip on your mind will slowly loosen. With CBT and hard work you'll eventually learn to adapt for the better to the point that you can let the thoughts pass through your mind without triggering axiety or if it still does will become minimal. I know this because I've reached that point after a long time and by adopting the correct attitude.

Take care,

Frank

Old 08-14-2004, 07:20 AM   #7
(female)

sjd1654 HB User

I've been on luvox for a month now. I don't feel any change at all. I'm sure the Dr. will up my dose this week when I see him.
I'm also on Ativan and Paxil CR. I only feel very tired. I hope something will start to work.

Good Luck,
Joyce

Old 08-16-2004, 07:59 AM   #8
(female)

bm28 HB User

Thank you everyone! I went on Friday and my dr. raised the Luvox to 200 and I hope it helps. I only started feeling better on it when it was at the 150 level; not before that really. To those people who haven't started to feel better yet, just give it time. My Dr. said that it has to do with your brain, not your size etc. as far as what dosage helps. Frank-thanks for your insight, I know this is something that I need to learn to live with. When I tell my family or friends about it I tell them that there isn't much they can do to help me because it's something that I have to learn to live with. I guess I was just wondering if the meds. actually make the thoughts stop completely or if I will always have some of them. I have noticed a considerable difference thogh since I started the meds. and therapy. Three months ago I was a completely different person! Thanks again, Beth

Closed Thread