It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2004, 10:13 PM   #1

KaTeR HB User
Question Obsess about people eating..

When I am around people who are eating I really obsess about the noise of chewing. It is very hard for me to not get mad, and sometimes I yell at the people in my family if they walk by me while chewing on something. Sometimes it is hard even for me to eat because I don't like the sound of my own chewing, and I can never eat without the tv on or having music playing.
I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem with their OCD...

Old 08-16-2004, 11:52 AM   #2

cupcakes HB User
Lightbulb Re: Obsess about people eating..

KaTeR,

You sound just like me!!!! I can't stand the noise of people chewing, especially my family. I don't know how they can possibly be unaware that they chew and swallow soooooooo loud!!!

Supper time has gotten to be torture for me, I end up turning the TV up real loud to try to cover their noise, but it doesn't work well. I get really frustrated and mad, too. I just wanna yell, "Shut up!!".

Ever since I was a little kid, I couldn't stand the sound of my mom swallowing, but I didn't realize it was part of my OCD until a few years ago. I just seem to keep getting more and more compusions, but next month I will have insurance and be able to go to a doc.

The only difference between your chewing thing and mine is that my own chewing doesn't bother me. Weird, huh.

Well, I am sooooooooo relieved to know that someone else has this problem. If you ever want to vent about it, I'll be ready to listen. By the way, I'm just curious if you are on any meds or are going to be?

Cupcakes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2004, 02:26 PM   #3

KaTeR HB User
Re: Obsess about people eating..

Cupcakes:
"I don't know how they can possibly be unaware that they chew and swallow soooooooo loud!!!" <-- My thoughts exactly!
I am not on any medication right now, but in a couple of weeks I'm moving to my moms and we're going to look into treatments once I get there. Have you ever taken anything, and has it helped with the way you feel about people eating?

Old 08-16-2004, 04:24 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

some people have very sensitive hearing, chewing is a perfectly natural noise and I dont see how it could be done any quieter, unless someone is chewing with their mouth open

Old 08-16-2004, 08:49 PM   #5

karigirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hry33
some people have very sensitive hearing, chewing is a perfectly natural noise and I dont see how it could be done any quieter, unless someone is chewing with their mouth open
i dont see how this comment pertains to the nature of this question.

Old 08-16-2004, 09:06 PM   #6

cupcakes HB User

KaTeR,

No, I have never been on any medication.

About 5 years ago my mom made me talk to a couselor because I washed my hands a lot. I didn't see anything wrong with it, and I didn't have any other obvious symptoms of OCD (although now when I think back, I realize that I did have OCD symptoms throughout my childhood.) But the couselor seemed very willing to offer me medication, and that freaked me out.

Now I wish I had medication! I read Marc Summer's book about his own OCD, and he described the medication he was on as making his compulsions distant in his head. He sometimes still would feel the urge, but it was weak and he was able to resist it easily. That sounds pretty good, doesn't it?

I hope you and I can get some effective medication within the next couple months!

P.S. I also can't stand it when anyone clears their throat or blows their nose! lol!

cupcakes

Old 08-17-2004, 05:04 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

worried_mommy HB User

OMG! I HATE the sound of ppl chewing! I get soooo irritated. When I was 14 (20 now) I stabbed my mother with a fork because she was purposely chewy toffee overdramaticly just because she know I didnt like it. Why do ppl do things like that to ppl with OCD?

Old 08-17-2004, 07:59 PM   #8

KaTeR HB User

"she was purposely chewy toffee overdramaticly just because she know I didnt like it. Why do ppl do things like that to ppl with OCD?" My boyfriend does that sometimes because he thinks its funny (I dont see why) and it makes me so mad, also, when my older sister is mad at me she does it.. I think people do it because they dont understand how much it can really hurt someone. Sometimes I wish those people could feel how we feel for a little while, that would smarten them up Im sure.

Old 08-21-2004, 01:45 PM   #9
(female)

nicolepl HB User

I totally understand......I can't stand these noises. The worst part is when I'm at work- I share an office with someone, and he chews SO LOUDLY, but I can't say anything to him--I just try to hold it back or leave the room.

Closed Thread