It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2004, 08:32 PM   #1

BASEBALL FAN HB User
I Have Ocd Help Me

Hi Everyone, I Am New At This And Really Don't Know Where To Begin. A Good Friend Of Mine Recommended This Board. We Both Think I Have Ocd. For Examples I Have To Get Gas At The Same Gas Pump Every Time. I Will Keep Driving Around Until It Is Opened And In The Case I Don't Get It There Well It Bothers Me. I Am Very Obsessive On My Tv Shows I Have To Be In The Same Chair Or I Just Don't Enjoy Them The Same. I Have Everything Planned On Things To Do. I Watch Sports I Have Strange Habits That I Do Each Game And If I Don't Do Them Well I Blame Myself For The Team Losing. Yes Some Of This Sounds Crazy And I Know It Is But I Continue To Do Them. There Is Also A Lot More Strange Habits I Have Which I Will Not Get Into. Does Anyone Have Advice?

Old 08-27-2004, 03:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: I Have Ocd Help Me

books on overcoming OCD have useful advice, antidepressant meds such as prozac often help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2004, 07:38 PM   #3

BRC777 HB User
Re: I Have Ocd Help Me

Hi, I have full blown OCD. To some extent everyone has little "quirks" about themselves and tend to obsess over certain things. From what you wrote it doesn't seem like you have much to worry about unless it reall interferes with your day to day activities.

People with true OCD have symptoms such as fear of contamination, they feal the need to touch things a certain number of times to release the anxiety of the disorder. Alot of OCD sufferes have to arrange things in perfect order they are obsessed with symetry. And when it gets real bad (like the kind I have) you have unwanted, intusive thoughts that you cannot control. Alot of OCD sufferes tend to hoard items (become pack-rats afraid to throw anything away). There is a great book called Brain Lock by Jeffery Swartz I believe that discussed in detail OCD. OCD is a neurological disorder and can be treated with medication. Like I said your symptoms seem minor and if does not interfere with how you function I would not reccomend medication maybe just some behavioral therapy or modication. It just may be your personality.

I currently take medication for my OCD and it only helps a little. My psychiatrist (they are the ones who treat these disorders) says that medication can relieve OCD symptoms to about 80%.

Hope this helps.

BRC

Closed Thread