It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 09:01 AM   #1
(female)

bm28 HB User
OCD being the "in thing"

My therapist told me the other day that over the last few years a lot of high school kids wanted to be OCD. I find this disturbing!!!!!!! Does anyone have any thoughts on this??? I didn't even know what OCD was until I was diagnosed.

Old 08-25-2004, 12:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User
Re: OCD being the "in thing"

Many high school girls also want to have babies. They are stupid and dont know anything. They dont know what OCD is. They cant point to the USA on a globe. But they sure know how to roll a joint and where to buy the junk.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 01:11 PM   #3

Emra HB User

Wow,

I can't imagine anyone actually wanting this disease. But hey, if they really want to have it, I would trade my OCD for a nice pair of jeans!

Old 08-25-2004, 04:23 PM   #4
(male)

kingam HB User

people like to have things to talk about... as weird as it sounds... i know a girl, and she has no idea i have OCD, and she told me she has OCD so curious, i asked "so what do you mean? like how do you have OCD?" (i played dumb about the disorder) and her reply was "well, i wash my hands"... so i said "compulsively?" and she said "no, but i like to wash my hands..."

id like to give her one week in my head

Old 08-25-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
Inactive

ontheway HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm28
My therapist told me the other day that over the last few years a lot of high school kids wanted to be OCD. I find this disturbing!!!!!!! Does anyone have any thoughts on this??? I didn't even know what OCD was until I was diagnosed.

They have no idea what they are talking about, if they only knew the trouble OCD gives us if they only lived inside my head for a month I think they would change thier mind..OCD is a real, painful illness it sucks

Old 08-25-2004, 07:31 PM   #6
Inactive

Frank168 HB User

If anyone really had OCD I'd seriously doubt they'd want to have it even if for some reason it was the coolest thing to have. I've been hearing a lot of people using the term OCD so loosely nowadays it's not funny. Like "oh I gotta wash my car all the time I don't want one speck of dust on it I know I must have OCD. "

Frank

Old 08-26-2004, 08:50 AM   #7
(female)

bm28 HB User

I am thoroughly convinced that NO ONE (even people close to us) has any idea what we go through. I got up the courage to tell one of my friends and she was like oh my friend has OCD, I have a little OCD and my mom definitly has OCD!!!!! I felt so weird about that. I mean, I have been living with this terrible disorder for at least 10 years secretly and now I'm 28 and It was a huge step for me to even tell her! Then, to find out that she felt like it was some common thing. COME ON REALLY. Try being inside my head for one day. Count one, two, three, knock, wash hands, pray.

Old 08-26-2004, 09:54 AM   #8

yadayad029 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm28
I am thoroughly convinced that NO ONE (even people close to us) has any idea what we go through. I got up the courage to tell one of my friends and she was like oh my friend has OCD, I have a little OCD and my mom definitly has OCD!!!!! I felt so weird about that. I mean, I have been living with this terrible disorder for at least 10 years secretly and now I'm 28 and It was a huge step for me to even tell her! Then, to find out that she felt like it was some common thing. COME ON REALLY. Try being inside my head for one day. Count one, two, three, knock, wash hands, pray.
Yeah I got that too. It's like--no, you really don't have OCD. You may worry about things. But you don't obsess about the same things over and over and then perform rituals to relieve yourself of the enormous stress that excessive worry causes you.

Old 08-26-2004, 01:49 PM   #9
Inactive

ontheway HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadayad029
Yeah I got that too. It's like--no, you really don't have OCD. You may worry about things. But you don't obsess about the same things over and over and then perform rituals to relieve yourself of the enormous stress that excessive worry causes you.

I agree sometimes when i told people they say i think everyone has a little OCD in them NOOOOOOO they don't they might get weird thoughts but they can let them go not be obsessive on them or they might worry but boy they have no idea what really worrying about something over and over and the stress and anxiety it can give you they really have no clue what they talk about they use the term so easily when its alot more ot it then they think

Old 08-26-2004, 04:37 PM   #10
(female)

simplyj HB User

Unfortunately I've been dealing with this same problem with my mom. She is the only one I speak to about my OCD and she is constantly comparing some of her "quirks" to my OCD. It's really gotten me upset lately. I end the conversations abruptly when she tries to compare herself to my OCD because I know for a fact that she doesn't have it and when she comnpares her little habits to my OCD I feel like it totally devalues the pain that I struggle with every day to keep this disorder manageable. That's why this board has helped me a lot. Only fellow OCDers can really relate. I know my mom is just trying to be helpful but at the same time it's frustrating.

Old 08-26-2004, 05:38 PM   #11
(female)

kjane HB User

Mabey they want the attention that they think OCD will give them. But in reality OCD would bring no benefits for sure.

Old 08-27-2004, 06:46 AM   #12
(female)

bm28 HB User

I totally agree with all of you. I absolutely HATE HAVING TO TELL PEOPLE ABOUT IT. Even though I am really close to my family it took me months before I could even tell them. It is just too difficult to explain to someone else and they think they understand but there is no way that they do. I know my family is extremely supportive (thank God) and even then I know that they don't fully understand. For instance, when my Mom was asking me "what kind of bad thoughts do you mean," and I tried explaining it's mostly about death. She then says but everyone has those thoughts sometimes. I know, but for most people one little bump, knick or scrape doesn't turn into festering thoughts about death, disease and then eventually my funeral with people standing over me and what I'm wearing in the casket kind of thoughts. Sorry to be so graphic but I know you guys understand what I'm saying. You know? Those kind of thoughts are what makes us do crazy things.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:02 AM   #13
(female)

trying4#2 HB User

that is ridiculous i would be glad to rid myself of mine. I would seriously have many more hours in my day if i didnt have ocd. all my "rituals" take a good part of my day due to most I do repeately.....to actually WANT to have this? ridiculous

Old 09-06-2004, 04:33 PM   #14

aprilmay HB User

yeah i notice that people want it to, sometimes people will say i think i have ocd cuz i blinked the light on and off last week, or something to that effect it's nuts!!

Closed Thread