It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2004, 09:53 PM   #1
(female)

krisdance83 HB User
Some of my problems...

For some reason my biggest obsession is that a light switch could somehow start a fire. I have to stand there and hold the stupid light switch until I feel content that it's really off. I have no idea why I think it would be the switch that would start the fire. I guess it's just that whole thing of having to do it unless "something bad" could happen. Even thought I don't know what that something really is.

Whenever I fold the bathroom towel there cannot be any wrinkles. This is the same w/ my clothes in the closet. I keep smoothing them out until I'm sure there are no wrinkles. I don't even care if my clothes are wrinkled I just don't like them hanging if some corner or sleeve is turned wrong. What is that?!

I have to take four sips of my drink before leaving a restaurant.

I am not a neat freak but if something is just randomly put somewhere it has to be touching something else rather than just be alone on say the counter. (?)

I have this obsession w/ kissing my boyfriend before I get out of the car. If I give him a peck it has to feel "right" or else I have to keep doing it over and over. It even gets to the point where he's falling asleep! Same with hugging.

If I don't tell him to "be careful" at work every night I won't be able to sleep for fear that something will happen.

I could go on and on and on. I am in therapy right now and she says I definitely have OCD but would you consider this severe?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2004, 11:01 PM   #2

BASEBALL FAN HB User
Re: Some of my problems...

Hi Don't Feel Bad About Doing Those Things I'm The Same Way With A Lot Of Issues Myself. One Of The Things I Do Is I Walk Every Day And I Do The Same Routine I Have To Leave My House At The Same Exact Time. I Have To Walk The Same Way Every Day. Sometimes A Member Of My Family Will Come With Me And If They Want To Walk A Diff Way I Will But Later On In The Day I Will Go Walking Again So I Can Do The Regular Routine. Today I Actually Walked Earlier With My Mother And We Walked Differently And Tonight Instead Of Walking Again I Decided To Go Out To Dinner With My Friend. So Yes It Was A Small Step But I Feel Good About It Right Now. I Have So Many Weird Habits That I Will Try To Break Now But I'm Taking It One Day At A Time. I Told Myself The Last Couple Of Days That If I Don't Do Certain Things Bad Stuff Won't Happen. So Yes It Is Tough But Try To Not Do One Of Those Things You Were Talking About And When You See Nothing Bad Happens Try To Stop Another Habit. That Is What I'm Trying To Do Each Day

Old 08-26-2004, 02:34 AM   #3

phoebe20 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisdance83
If I don't tell him to "be careful" at work every night I won't be able to sleep for fear that something will happen.
sounds familiar i've slowly managed to stop doing this, but when i was 16 and i first started going out with my boyfriend, i would have to tell him i loved him every night before i went to sleep or i would lie awake all night worrying that something awful would happen to him.

Last edited by phoebe20; 08-26-2004 at 02:41 AM.

Old 08-26-2004, 09:41 PM   #4

cupcakes HB User

It is so true that for us OCDer's that we have this "SOMETHING BAD WILL HAPPEN" idea stuck in our heads if we don't perform our compulsion perfectly.

It is a truly terrifying feeling. But the question is, how does one overcome that? Just jump right in and don't perform the compulsion and be forced to sweat it out?

Old 08-27-2004, 05:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User

Yes I would say you have a severe case of OCD if you cant sleep at night. You have checking and perfectionism compulsions. Its good you are seeing a doctor because in my family the people with OCD went through life with no knowledge that they had the disease, and it eventually killed them, because they self medicated with alcohol, trying to cope with anxiety.

Closed Thread