It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2004, 03:28 PM   #1

JBoyStrikesBack HB User
Question Is it the meds or just my idle mind?

Hey guys,

I've been on 25 mg of Paxil CR since January for Pure-O type OCD. For the most part, I am very satisifed. I'm 90% better than I was around this time last year. I only have one complaint/odd question. Not sure if it's the Paxil or if all SSRIs do this now and then, but lately, the meds seem to be going in cycles. For about 2 weeks, I feel great! Then for about 2 or 3 days, I'll feel less than stellar. The anxiety and stupid obsessions come back. Then they go away just as quickly as they started and I'll feel great for about another 2 weeks or so. Is this the meds losing effectiveness or what?

Coincidentally, this always seems to happen on days when work is less stressful or I have a couple days off in a row. Could these short little relapses be the result of boredom, then?

Any feedback would rock.

Thanks in advance...

-J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2004, 05:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Is it the meds or just my idle mind?

I havent heard of this, you could contact the makers of paxil and ask them about it
paxil is one of many prozac type meds and a swap to another one could be discussed with your doc

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2004, 03:19 PM   #3

kiki80537 HB User

Hello! I'm sorry I don't have a response for you, but I do have a question. What dosage of Paxil are you taking? My son has the anxiety and obsessiveness, is on Paxil, the lowest dosage, and we're thinking he may need to have it increased. Any info would help, thanks!

Old 09-03-2004, 03:21 PM   #4

kiki80537 HB User

Hi again!

Sorry, apparently I can't read, I see you listed your dosage. I will say that my son's problems get worse when he is of "idle mind" also, so maybe that is it. Can you tell me how long it took you to start feeling really good after you started your medication? I don't know what reason you started yours, but my son had an obsessive problem to begin with that was easily under control but what set him off was a broken relationship. Even though he knows he's better off, he still obsesses and is depressed over the whole thing.

Take care!

Last edited by kiki80537; 09-03-2004 at 03:34 PM.

Old 09-04-2004, 11:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

kiki--it can take up to a month for the paxil to reach full effect, mine started to kick in around 7 days after starting it....and you didnt mention the exact dosage he is on but you may want to becareful as ssri's in some children (under the age 18) can sometimes cause suisidal thoughts (anyway not to scare you i just saw this on the 700 club the other night)..
and increasing the dosage sometimes can make the obsessions worse, i was on 25 mg and wwnt up to 50 and i got really obsessive again, my theripist said that sometimes when we take to high a dosage it can make it become sort of ineffective....if that makes any sence...
best to talk with the dr. about anything like this first.

JBoy---i think it does have alot to do with boredom...i was also on 25 mg. of paxil and on days i was busy i was fine then when i had to much time on my hands i started to obbsess...which led to compulsions....but anyway i am off paxil now and not doing to well .
but i really think it is probably NOT the meds causing relaps, it is probably just your mind messing with you.

Last edited by Chrissi; 09-04-2004 at 11:37 AM.

Old 09-04-2004, 11:45 AM   #6

kiki80537 HB User

Chrissi,

My son is 21 years old, and while he has always had an obsessive problem, it is now to an uncontrollable point, basically obsessing over something he has no control over. He is taking 10mg Paxil and while he is much better, as in, not in an extreme state of panic constantly, he is still having problems when he wakes up, being depressed and trying to figure out how to "fix" something that can't be fixed, etc. We thought that maybe upping the dosage may help him more but I will definately find out other options first! Thank you!

Old 09-04-2004, 01:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User

you are welcome...though in his case he may try upping the dosage (considering he is an adult) and if things get worse he can go back to 10 mgs......but maybe upping his dosage wouldnt hurt.....talk to the dr.
goodluck

Joeboy......sorry about "borrowing" your thread, i hope we didnt make you mad...
how are you doing by the way?

Last edited by Chrissi; 09-04-2004 at 01:25 PM.

Closed Thread