It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2004, 07:44 PM   #1

BRC777 HB User
Anyone have OCD unwanted and intrusive thoughts.

Hi, I have OCD and my biggest problem is unwanted, intrusive thoughts. The thoughts trully paralize me. They are horrible and I cannot control them. I have tried all the medication and currently take Lexapro.

Does anyone else have this symptom of OCD. And if you do What helps? and if you take medication Which one has helped the most. THANKS.

Old 08-27-2004, 08:33 PM   #2
Inactive

ontheway HB User
Re: Anyone have OCD unwanted and intrusive thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRC777
Hi, I have OCD and my biggest problem is unwanted, intrusive thoughts. The thoughts trully paralize me. They are horrible and I cannot control them. I have tried all the medication and currently take Lexapro.

Does anyone else have this symptom of OCD. And if you do What helps? and if you take medication Which one has helped the most. THANKS.

Hi there

That is my main problem the intrusive unwanted thoughts mine are mostly dealing with religious.. It took me a while to get to where i am I'm alot better then i use to be.. i could not make the thoughts stop at one point in my life but it took 7 months of therapy and medication im on 300mg zoloft risperdal although I feel my medicine helps i still get alot of intrusive thoughts that upset me and try to control me but it also takes an positive outlook as hard as it is...but I think they key is for most and me especially is medicine and therapy, therapy very important it teaches you how the thoughts arwe only of OCD not of you they dont make you who u are.. and how to cope better when they come into your mind..also Jesus can help you just talk to him everyday and ask him for help, please have faith and know that oneday you will be better i know it does not seem that way when ur hurting or in pain please hang in there know that the thoughts come from OCD only and as disturbing as they are you are not your thoughts and you are not a bad person because the thoughts are in your mind its something u dont control but can work to get some control over... sometimes it takes a while to find the right medicine as well dont give up hope.. hang in there God bless u always

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2004, 08:35 PM   #3
Inactive

ontheway HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway
Hi there

That is my main problem the intrusive unwanted thoughts mine are mostly dealing with religious.. It took me a while to get to where i am I'm alot better then i use to be.. i could not make the thoughts stop at one point in my life but it took 7 months of therapy and medication im on 300mg zoloft risperdal although I feel my medicine helps i still get alot of intrusive thoughts that upset me and try to control me but it also takes an positive outlook as hard as it is...but I think they key is for most and me especially is medicine and therapy, therapy very important it teaches you how the thoughts arwe only of OCD not of you they dont make you who u are.. and how to cope better when they come into your mind..also Jesus can help you just talk to him everyday and ask him for help, please have faith and know that oneday you will be better i know it does not seem that way when ur hurting or in pain please hang in there know that the thoughts come from OCD only and as disturbing as they are you are not your thoughts and you are not a bad person because the thoughts are in your mind its something u dont control but can work to get some control over... sometimes it takes a while to find the right medicine as well dont give up hope.. hang in there God bless u always
I should listen to my advise more often LOL but its true.. i still suffer but i notice im better then i was back in 2002 its seems like a long process but we can get better as unreal as it seems we can

Old 08-27-2004, 11:13 PM   #4
(male)

vermilion pt 2 HB User

i have HOCD witch is all about unwanted thoughts! its HELL, im almost ready 2 kill myself, i cut my arm up, i tryed 2 od, lexapro doesend do anything but make u be hyper it doesent change the thoughts, im goina try 2 get a diffrent medication, but the thoughts are hell, its almost been a year 4 me and ive almost killed my self over 100 times but could never go threw with it, but im not 2 far off 2 doing it, good luck.

Old 08-28-2004, 07:08 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jules1 HB User

Sometimes I can make my intrusive thoughts go away, other times I can't. It depends on how well I am feeling that day. When I am able to control them, it is always when I stop myself from pursuing an intrusive thought. I'll have an intrusive thought or image pop into my head, and I can either obsess about it and run it over and over through my head, or I can say to myself, "stop, don't think about it anymore". Usually I end up repeating to myself "don't think about it" until the episode has passed. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Just my two cents.

Old 08-29-2004, 12:17 PM   #6

baddoubts HB User

my situation is the same as vermillion's exactly, lexapro sucks, let me tell you tho the key to this is will power, im not gonna go out and be gay but my head tells me i am lol funny right?

Old 08-29-2004, 03:01 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

jules1 HB User

I used to have problems with HOCD when I was a teenager. I was able to beat it, somehow.

I don't mean to make anything sound trivial in my response...

All I did was realize that it wasn't the end of the world if I was gay. Once I embraced the possibility, as my psych says "took the pressure off myself", I never obsessed or had many intrusive thoughts regarding HOCd again. I realized that I *wasn't* gay once I was able to get rid of my obsessions.

Old 09-27-2004, 09:58 PM   #8

check3times HB User

I can sympathize with those who are having unwanted thoughts. One of my many problems happens when I'm driving. I can be having a great day when out of the blue I'll get a thought that I've hit someone or another car while I'm driving and then I'll have to go around the block 3 times before I've convinced myself it's all in my mind. When I start thinking those thoughts, I've had to pull my car to the side of the street and repeat to myself, ''These are only thoughts-they cannot hurt you."

I hate driving. I'm a cautious, consciencious driver, but these thoughts at times have stopped me from going out somewhere.

Old 09-27-2004, 10:00 PM   #9

check3times HB User

I can sympathize with those who are having unwanted thoughts. One of my many problems happens when I'm driving. I can be having a great day when out of the blue I'll get a thought that I've hit someone or another car while I'm driving and then I'll have to go around the block 3 times before I've convinced myself it's all in my mind. When I start thinking those thoughts, I've had to pull my car to the side of the street and repeat to myself, ''These are only thoughts-they cannot hurt you."

I hate driving. I'm a cautious, consciencious driver, but these thoughts at times have stopped me from going out somewhere.

Old 10-01-2004, 01:56 AM   #10

cda031076 HB User

what is the best stratigy for beating these intrusive thoughts and belif system?.....is there a website with wisdon of how to win through these intrusive thoughts and beliefs.....it's the ,what if factor with ocd....you try to go against it,and if you try to go against it ,then it says,what if...

Old 10-03-2004, 10:15 AM   #11
Veteran

jeepbabe HB User

I have a lot of intrusive thoughts too. it's really difficult to control and most of the time i end up hashing them out with my fiance. He is really understanding and does not mind helping me out. But the prob is still there and until I have insurance it will continue to be there. I guess I am trying to say I understand where you are coming from.

Sunnie

Old 10-04-2004, 03:43 AM   #12

sensitivity HB User

For a little more than a month now, I have had what I consider to be a Pure-O OCD relapse. It has been awful. I had been on a maintenance level of Prozac for the 7 years since my last episode. My dr has increased my Prozac dosage significantly. I think it is helping a little. I have been having sleep problems (waking up too early), but I am not sure if that is from the meds or my feelings.
Take care,
S

Closed Thread