It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2004, 08:38 PM   #1

SnappDragon HB User
Unhappy Death OCD Thoughts

I have been battling this Obessive problem for years now since I was younger and then it went away and now that I am older it is back. I am so terrified that I will never wake up when I go to sleep. I will think my heart will stop and I will die in my sleep. I am so scared to die or to think that I will. I have Obessive thoughts about this that give me panice attacks at night. My heart races and my stomach gets sick. I am so afraid of this and I am on Prozac which is helping my OCD and Depression and also Concerta for my ADD. I don't want to die or think death thoughts. How can I stop them and does anyone else have these thoughts and how do you rid them? I am in desprete need of help to ease my thoughts. I don't want to increase my meds as I have been through that and it only seemed to make it worse.

Thank You for listening to me
Snapp Dragon

Old 09-04-2004, 10:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Chrissi HB User
Re: Death OCD Thoughts

increasing meds do sometimes make things worse...i went through that as well....

anyway i think you need to stop fearing this and accept it.....say to yourself "i am not afraid to die in my sleep" eventually the fear will lose power and leave you alone.....
just say it outloud all the time even if you do not believe it, our subconcious mind believes whatever we tell it......
so if you keep saying "i am scared i am scared!" you will keep being scared because that is what your subconscious believes to be true.
hope you begin to feel better...please try this though do it every time you think of it!!!! and if that is 100 times a day then say it a hundred times a day!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2004, 04:45 PM   #3
(female)

sanrun HB User

Hi, I had that obsession for a short period, when I was about nine. The teacher sent a note home, because I was tired. My parents took me to a doctor and I told him my fear. I can't remember what he said, but after awhile I was fine. Anyway, just wanted to let you know someone else had the same problem.

Everytime, you go to sleep you are facing your fear. When you wake up "say yes I'm still alive and try to focus on living." I know dealing with these darn obsessions is hard! I have had several. My lastest one went on for four and half years! "Intrusive sexual and harming thoughts." I have gotten better by doing the things myself help books have suggested ( Brainlock among others!) LOL.. I bought so many I don't feel like typing them all out! Yep! I'm obsessive about being obsessive. Anyway, good luck with your battle. Remember worrying never stops anything from happening.

Take Care,

sanrun

Old 09-07-2004, 12:26 PM   #4
(female)

bm28 HB User

SnappDragon, I have the same fear of death as you but I don't fear sleeping like you do. The only thing that's really made my thoughts begin to subside is my medication. (I've been on it for about 4-5 months now) I am at 200 mg. of Luvox right now but I think my Dr. is going to keep raising it to at least 300 mg. or maybe even more. I didn't even really notice a change until the 150 dosage and I started out at 25 mg! It really has taken some time with me and it is definitely starting to work even though I know I still have a long way to go! I know that Luvox is an anti-obsessional drug as well as an anti-depressant. I know that it seems impossible to make your thoughts stop but I really believe in it now! Good Luck to you and just remember that it's not normal what we have. We can't control this because our brains are not right. Good Luck, Beth

Old 09-07-2004, 10:51 PM   #5

SnappDragon HB User

SnappDragon here and I want to thank everyone who posted it helps me to read what other people have and have advice for me. The Death thoughts have gone away for now but as I know so well they will be back. Just don't know when or how much they will come back a lil or a lot. I know that I should not be afraid of my own body but I am afraid I will die and have no way of getting help or it will be too late. I have a fear of being alone and I hate the fact that I think that way. When I have these thoughts and I am getting a small one now my head hurts, I get all anxious and start to have a panic attack. My ears will burn and my whole body will burn when I think this way it feels like I am unfire and I have no control. I know what you will say Panic Attack 101 Snapp Dragon. I know I am stronger then my thoughts and I can overcome this but it is so very hard. The more I worry the worse I will be and not enjoy life and then when I do die I will not be happy on account I have worried. I am only 36 years old and very healthy girl. So why do I worry and have these thoughts of Death and Dying and Why do I have these panic attacks.

Thank You for replying and I will keep posting to let you all know how I am doing with this. God Bless you all and Thank You.
Hugs
SD

Old 09-09-2004, 08:37 AM   #6
Veteran

fm5 HB User

It sounds like you are suffering from panic disorder more than o.c.d. to me.

I don't know you, though you can have o.c.d. along with panic disorder. But learning more about panic disorder may actually enable you better to deal with this.

Old 09-09-2004, 02:07 PM   #7
(male)

Starter7777 HB User

I once had this fear, and it drove me nuts! I looked up and read about the heart anatomy, and how strong it was, then had the doctor check mine, and it eventually just subsided!

Old 09-15-2004, 01:26 AM   #8
Inactive

lifter123 HB User

Buddy Let Me Tell You "you Are Going To Die"....so Am I And So Is Everyone Else. You Dont Really Need To Have Any Fears About This...its Only Natural...if It Happens It Happens. I Went Through The Same Thing With My Ocd...i Would Not Sleep Until I Fell Asleep Due To A Lack Of Sleep Because I Was Scared If I Didnt Do Certain Things Certain Ways I Would Die. You Are Not Going To Die If You Sleep....you Say You Are Young...if You Are Healthy You Arent Going To Die. Eventually Though We All Will Die. What Is It About Death That Scares You? Religious Beliefs?, Fear Of What Will Happen To Others?...the Best Thing To Do Is Get To The Root Of The Problem And Face It Head On!

Closed Thread