It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2004, 09:47 AM   #1

Memories HB User
Memory OCD

I think I have OCD of one sort or another. This is my first post. Since about 11 years ago, I have struggled with episodes of trying to remember trivial things. For instance, I might try to remember the lyrics to a song. Or, I might have a passing thought about who played 3rd base for the Indians in 1981. OR I might remember hearing something funny two weeks ago, but not remember who said it, or how it went exactly. It's like I am in bondage until I remember. The first one I remember really struggling with was the name of a bar in the town where I had gone to school 7 years earlier. It hit at a time of high stress, but I spent much of a week preoccuppied with trying to chase down this memory. Other times, I will see a face and think it reminds me of someone else's face, and then obsess until I remember the face or the name. Sometimes it gets so bad that I can't sleep or enjoy anything at all until I resolve it. Or, ultimately, maybe I'll get worn out and then just make something up and lie to myself that that is the memory I'm seeking after. The whole mess seemed to go away for several years when I started learning about healthy boundaries in other areas of my life and when I reached a point spritually where I gave myself a break in other areas. I could almost look back and laught at myself for trying to do something that was impossible--have a perfect, spotless memory of every little thing I experienced in life.I mean, how ridiculous. I might as well have tried to lift 2 tons with my pinkie or fly. It isn't possible. However, I have been under a good amount of stress lately and it has flared up again. Does anyone struggle with this type of obsession and compulsion? I have periodic bouts with checking or excessive guilt/responsibility, but not too often. Trivial memories are where I get stuck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2004, 01:49 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Memory OCD

welcome\I think most anxiety and OCD sufferers have poor memories

a prozac med may help

Old 09-10-2004, 11:28 PM   #3
Inactive

ontheway HB User

I have a bad memory probably because of OCD because when I think something and I go back to try and remember what i thought what i did, It's hard because OCD makes me feel like I did something eles and i start to think i did etc plus the medication im on is effecting my memory my ex doc told me they can do that.. I think its a mixture for me medicine and OCD God bless u always (( hugs ))

Last edited by ontheway; 09-10-2004 at 11:30 PM.

Old 09-13-2004, 07:56 AM   #4

Memories HB User

I actually have a pretty good memory. But my problem is that when I can't remember something, which is inevitable no matter if you have a good memory, then I obsess. . . kind of like when someone with the cleaning or checking obsessions keeps cleaning or checking, well I keep racking my brain trying to remember.

Old 09-13-2004, 02:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

I do the SAME thing. Read my post "What do you think." For details!!!!
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 09-13-2004, 08:05 PM   #6
(male)

Leff935 HB User

add me to the list, my ocd just keeps getting worse

Closed Thread