It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2004, 12:29 AM   #1
(female)

Jacquie23 HB User
Pulling out my hair

I have many reacurring thoughts,(obsessions) and I have to do things that are just so dumb, and disrupt my dailt life (Compultions) anyone elts here with Trichotillomannia. lately the thing that is bugging me the most is my compultion to pull my hair out. I started when I was 15 then I stoped. but I alwasy did weird things like shave off my eyebrows, cut a patch of hair out. I don't get it. and I did it, then it grew back completly and it was a wile till I did somethign like that again. I only pulled my hair once as a child I hardly knew I was doing it, it was right at the top of my head where the part was. then i saw in my reflection one day, a buld spot and I stoped. but this time, I just cant stop. I have 2 buld spots and they are not growing back. becasue I keep doing it. I can't stop.

Old 09-14-2004, 07:17 PM   #2
Inactive

lifter123 HB User
Re: Pulling out my hair

//////////////////

Last edited by lifter123; 09-15-2004 at 12:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2004, 11:18 AM   #3
(female)

Jacquie23 HB User

yeah its not like a fear however, cuz i know what you mean *lol* one time I went to my room, and I wanted to close the door, but I was afraid that I would be locked in forever, so I closed the door, but then I had to make sure it would open, so I oppend it, and it did. But the next time I close it, it would not oppen, I was sure, so I tried again, and it did, but the next time...... and this went ON.

but the hair thing, its like an itch... my hands are always in my hair. I was one to always play with my hair when I talked to someone. now its itchy, it bothers me, and I pull it.

I do stop sometimes, but then I start again, it like biting my nails. I know it wrong. sometimes I don't realize I'm doing it, other times I know I am, but I don't care, and sometimes I say NO, and I froce my self not to do it, but it drives me nutz. But I think it is becoming who I am, soon, my hair will stop growing in these 2 spots. then i will fined another one.

its not like a fear, i dont know what drives me in to the wash room to cut out a chunk if hair. i get a thought, and i have to do it. or it drives me crazy. but i'm sure the pulling is stress related.

Old 09-15-2004, 12:09 PM   #4
Inactive

lifter123 HB User

I think it still is a form of OCD. I used to get it to where i would have to dig my nail or another object under the other nail just to get a certain feeling from it. It wasnt the pain or the blood that i wanted it was just a certain feeling...kind of hard to explain....can you relate to that at all? If so what worked for me was just realizing that i didnt have to do this...that the feeling will go away if you can control it long enough....its all a mental frame.

Old 09-15-2004, 12:14 PM   #5
(female)

Jacquie23 HB User

yes I was like that too, so you know the feelings we go for I'm working hard on it. and I think the meds are helping too. together slowely, I will try to beat it, even when it all seems like it will never get better.

where did your other post go?

Old 09-15-2004, 12:53 PM   #6

eyelinerfairy HB User

hello i also have trich, im think im going to have a go at synthetic dreads braided through my own hair though, that should shop me being able to get at my own hair to pull out (as i only usually pull from my head), at the same time as looking cool

take care, i hope you get through it alright
lis

Old 09-16-2004, 07:59 AM   #7
(female)

Jacquie23 HB User

eyelinerfairy I'm glad that there is someone out there with the same thing, maybe we can support eachother. Don't you think the little hairs inbetween the dreads would drive you CRAZY?

I saw my doctor yesterday, and she said she had delt with trich before, she said it is a manisfestation brought on by anxiety. Which sounds about right. lol she wants me to continue taking my meds for a year, and too keep using this cream she gave me.

I have bin trying to stop wile I pull, and I have to say in many times before I do, stop stand up stop stand up. forcing myself is very hard. I can't even stand up. it is easyer to stop biting my nails then this.

Old 09-19-2004, 02:02 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Anti Social HB UserAnti Social HB UserAnti Social HB User

Hi...Im always picking at something on my body-whether its scabs,bumps,dry skin,or tweezing certain hairs out,popping pimples etc..Once I find something that is out of place,I have to fix it.I actually sit for hours picking until I satisfy myself.Once I pull that 'special' hair out or pop that 'special' pimple,I feel relieved.I'll sit and tweeze certain hairs out that in my mind are 'different' from any others.I bite my nails like crazy and even sometimes take my trusty tweezers and pick the skin out around them.I used to pull my hair out but eventually stopped.I now tweeze my leg hairs,pubic(gross,I know),and even my stomach hair once.Anything that seems out of place,I have to 'fix'..only then will I feel better..

Old 09-24-2004, 11:52 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Cool Re: Pulling out my hair

The child of a friend of my mom's has trich and she takes Naltrexone for it. I took it to help me to not cut myself. It helps compulsive behaviors. Gambling, stealing, that sort of thing. It also works with self-mutilation. Worth checking into! I'm off of it now; I haven't cut since January (some sort of record). But it did help me while I was on it.
Kristina

Old 10-17-2004, 12:22 PM   #10

mank HB User

I have pulled out my hair for years.
I am 37 years old and have been pulling since I was 10 years old. I want so badly to stop but the more I think about it the more I pull.
RIght now I have short stubbies on the top of my head and I was trying to cut my own hair and you could say I messed it up. I am so ******...I have no money to go and get it cut. But I will get some soon and go have it cut.
I wish there was a cure and I have been on all kinds of meds for like 5 or 6 years now.
Even though I don't think the meds help a whole lot they do help with my anxiety, so I would be afraid to be with out them.
They help me feel secure.
Best of luck to ya'll!

MANK

Old 10-18-2004, 05:16 PM   #11

kat01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifter123
I think it still is a form of OCD. I used to get it to where i would have to dig my nail or another object under the other nail just to get a certain feeling from it. It wasnt the pain or the blood that i wanted it was just a certain feeling...kind of hard to explain....can you relate to that at all? If so what worked for me was just realizing that i didnt have to do this...that the feeling will go away if you can control it long enough....its all a mental frame.

Ohhhh, I do that. I've nearly separated my nails from their beds. I'm doing it now.

Closed Thread