It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2004, 01:51 PM   #1
Veteran

fm5 HB User
Let Go and Let God

This is common verbage used in 12 step programs.

I found from my dealing with a bad case of o.c.d. that "turning these situations over to God" is the only way to ultimately deal with them.

By the way, there is an organization called obsessive compulsive anonymous that uses the 12 step program for o.c.d. I have gone to meetings in my area and they are beneficial.

God bless all here dealing with ocd.

Last edited by fm5; 09-16-2004 at 01:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2004, 09:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Post Re: Let Go and Let God

Well, not to tear you down or anything, and while it may be true for you, I think a lot of non religious people have been sick and have gotten better, even from OCD. I just wanted to say that so that any non-religious people don't suddenly get scared into religion... it's probably not the best way to become religious.
But I must say that some people swear my divine intervention, and I know my mom would never get through everything she goes through without her faith in God. It is vital to her and to many people.
Kristina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2004, 11:40 AM   #3
Veteran

fm5 HB User
Re: Let Go and Let God

One of the most powerful things I believe that faith in God can do in helping o.c.d. is when a thought comes into play that "I have to do this ritual or else", instead, put the matter in God's Hands AND DO NOT DO THE RITUAL.

Believe me, He is far greater and better to handle that matter you are so worried about.

I have learned over and over that doing these rituals are what keep the o.c.d. going and making it stronger.

Old 09-17-2004, 05:51 PM   #4
(male)

Foogoo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fm5
One of the most powerful things I believe that faith in God can do in helping o.c.d. is when a thought comes into play that "I have to do this ritual or else", instead, put the matter in God's Hands AND DO NOT DO THE RITUAL.

Believe me, He is far greater and better to handle that matter you are so worried about.

I have learned over and over that doing these rituals are what keep the o.c.d. going and making it stronger.
I understand what you are saying, but what about certain OCD rituals people have regarding God and religion? For example, people who must pray constantly over everything?

Old 09-19-2004, 12:40 PM   #5
Veteran

fm5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foogoo
I understand what you are saying, but what about certain OCD rituals people have regarding God and religion? For example, people who must pray constantly over everything?
This is a different sort of o.c.d.

But, my main reason for starting the thread is that I wanted to share that I went through an unbelievably hard time with my o.c.d (for about 4 years it was severe).

I tried everything - medications, conventional therapy, books, support groups (you name it). They helped me only partially (probably only about 10%).

I learned through just sheer frustration, that inevitably the only answer to o.c.d. is to absolutely turn these situations over to God and leave it completely in God's Hands and by not doing these rituals.

Last edited by fm5; 09-19-2004 at 12:42 PM.

Closed Thread