It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2004, 08:34 AM   #1

sodepressed HB User
So scared

Let me preface this with the fact that I do have ocd/anxiety problems. I take Buspar for my anxiety but nothing for the ocd. Obviously the buspar isn't doing much because I'm still having so many problems.

!. I went to a new dentist in 2002. Everything went ok except that his office wasn't up to the standards of my old dentist. I did not see them open the package of equipment (as I see in my current dentist). I have been scared ever since that I could have been exposed to hiv at this time.

2. I have gotten a couple of tattoos since then ( I did see them open new needles). But after having been on the internet have read that it is still possible to be exposed because they can't actually autoclave the gun that is used. I also know that there have never been any documented cases of hiv being transmitted in this way. I have a lot of tattoos and have been tested in the past (5 years ago) and was fine.

My symptoms have been a couple of colds, weight loss (which could be from all the stress), what I've thought are swollen glands (not sure though), I also had shingles a year and a half ago.

I can't seem to get passed the thought that I may have exposed and put my husband at risk. He does not know that I've been going through all this.

How do I get up the courage to get tested? I would appreciate any words of wisdom on this.

Thanks,
Christine

Old 09-20-2004, 08:41 AM   #2

Memories HB User
Re: So scared

I think if you just give blood, they test it, but I'm not sure. Everyone gets colds, and shingles are brought on by stress, I believe. IT's amazing how OCD can take some random thing and torment us, when, if we really think about it, there are thousdands of things in our lives that our minds could seize upon. Yet, we just usually only have focus for one. . . until we get it taken care of and we can move to the next one. Heck, even if some of our random fears come through, like contracting AIDS two years after a visit to the dentist, is that how we'd like to have spent our last days? In fear? Hope things work out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2004, 10:38 AM   #3

sodepressed HB User

I did get up the courage to get tested for hiv. My ocd had been running my life about this. I kept obsessing that I could have been exposed and my results came back negative. It was the ocd/anxiety all along.

Old 09-22-2004, 05:27 PM   #4

alliemay HB User

yeah i my ocd used to make me think i had aids and i refused to get tested until i got pregnant and it was negative, you have to realize that worrying about having it is probably as bad as having it so what do you have to loose, just imagine how great it will feel when it comes back negative. i felt like i was living a brand new life

Closed Thread