It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2004, 08:24 PM   #1

alliemay HB User
two kinds of ocd??

it seems to me that there are two different kinds of ocd, obsessive thoughts about diseases and such and then others who have to do repitions. here are a few of my problems, if anybody has similar please list them
- i think everything i touch that is wet is battery acid and then wash my hands repetedly and i cant stop thinking about it, and i refuse to touch batteries
- fear of aid's and other contagious diseases and obsess over them constantly
-i think if someone comes up to me out of the blue and shakes my hand or touches me that there trying to give me aids
-i can't take medication unless i see it come out of the package and it had it's name on it (even if my mother or boyfriend try and give me a tylenol or something, i examine it for ten minutes) and then obsess about it after i take it thinking its the wrong pill
im constanly looking in them mirror out in public thinking that there is something wrong with me
-when mixes my babies formula i convince myself that i miscalculated the mixture and pour it out several times
-scared to touch animals for fear of germs contaminating me and then my daughter..... and the list goes on

Old 09-24-2004, 11:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Talking Re: two kinds of ocd??

I don't think that there are really distinct "types" of OCD really. There are definitely many symptoms that people have in common, but people always have different combinations of them that it would be hard to make two categories. There are definitely "obsessions" and "compulsions", two separate things, but I have never heard anything about the disorder itself having two different categories.
Of course, I could be wrong! All I'm saying is that I've never heard of it. Actually I have heard of "relationship OCD"...
Kristina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2004, 09:32 PM   #3

RatGirl HB User
Re: two kinds of ocd??

I don't think it's two kinds, I think it's just that there are obsessions *and* compulsions. Two symptoms of the same disease. I have obsessive thoughts and I do similar things that you describe above. I'm always afraid I mixed my pets' medicines wrong, that anything I touch that's wet or sticky is someone's bodily fluids. Things like that. People touching me has gotten better, but I'm still really grossed out about where people's hands have been and stuff. I'm lucky because once a person moves into my "inner circle" it's okay to touch them, and animals don't bother me a bit, but a lot of objects are problems, as is the floor, feet, shoes, and anything that touches them. I've gotten better, but I still worry about these things a lot. One thing I can stand it touching anything with my shoes. If I step on a blanket or something in my shoes I actually become VERY angry. Fun, isn't OCD?

Old 09-25-2004, 09:21 AM   #4
(female)

Zoie97 HB User

My OCD has gotten MUCH better, thanks Prozac!!!
And on some of these things, I have been MUCH worse, but the few I can think of right now:
~ When I go somewhere, and then come home, I have to take a shower, or atleast wash my feet and change clothes. I make my 6 year old do this as well.

~ when people come over to visit, I freak out as to where they sit in my house, its like there clothes are contaminated, and therefore, they are contaminating my furniture, i used to keep blankets over everything, so I could wash it when they left, but I dont do that anymore.
~No shoes are allowed in my house, they carry diseases you know!!
~I still thourghly clean my house once a week, but it used to be every 2 days
~ I never really have " I'm going to get a disease thought, but my intrusive thoughts are about dying, how will I die, what will cause it, will anyone care that I am dying ect.

thats all I can think of for the moment, but their are TONS more!!!

" An insane person does not question their sanity"

Old 09-25-2004, 09:48 AM   #5

RatGirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoie97
~No shoes are allowed in my house, they carry diseases you know!!
Ick, I'd rather people keep their feet covered in my house. Bare feet are SO revolting.

Isn't it entertaining to see how our tics differ and are the same.

Closed Thread