It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2004, 06:37 PM   #1

sweetglidin HB User
Unhappy I can't stop pulling my eyelashes out! Someone please help me...

Thank you for reading my add...This is my first time actually trying to get help with my beyond Horrible obsession! I pull my eyelashes out. I pulled the out for the 1st time when i was around 14 I think. It was b/c I had an "Infected" one. It was very noticable, but only in one spot. Eyeliner fixed that problem though and I didn't do it again for another few years, well until now. I started again about a year ago. I was 16 now im 17. I have only done this a year and Im already driving myself crazy. I used to pull them out because something was wrong. but now I do it everynight, even when there's nothing wrong! I started again b/c I got really sick I went to the hospital, and now I have a lot of problems, with depression and all. I used to see a therapist, but we never talked about the eyelash pulling. I hate this obsession so much!! Its just such a relief when I do it though. I cant understand it. I now have no eyelashes..Its very sad, and embarassing. I dont know how to cover it up or anything. My mom and I are trying fake press on eyelashes. I really need help on what to do. It's stupid, but things like that everyone takes advantage of..having eyelashes..wow. If ANYONE can help me or have their experiences to share with me PLEASE Write me..Please! this is really the only thing I can think of doing without getting serious help. thank you for reading and your time!
Amber

Old 09-25-2004, 03:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Wink Re: I can't stop pulling my eyelashes out! Someone please help me...

Hi Amber-
I can relate somewhat because I'm a 17 year old girl with a history of self-mutilation. The eyelash pulling is probably considered a form of trichotillomania, which is the compulsive pulling out of hair.
I've never had any form of trich, but I've done lots of other stuff to myself- beating, cutting, head bashing, that sort of thing. And there are some strategies and other things you can do instead of the destructive things. Personally the only one I would find helpful sometimes is drawing on myself with red marker. Maybe you could do something like pulling hairs out of a wig or off of fake eyelashes?
Otherwise many of those alternate strategies never really worked too well for me, though they did work for others. However, when my doctor put me on a medicine called Naltrexone, I stopped all compulsive self-harm behaviors. It is prescribed for self harm and other things such as compulsive gambling and such. It's worth a try.
By the way, you might have better luck finding responses on the Self-Injury Recovery board. Not to say you aren't welcome here!
Kristina

Last edited by *music23*; 09-25-2004 at 03:24 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2004, 12:53 PM   #3

eyelinerfairy HB User
Re: I can't stop pulling my eyelashes out! Someone please help me...

hiya
im another 17 year old girl, with the same problem as you. i have trichotillomania, only i pull hairs mainly from my head (although i do get a little tweeze-happy with my eyebrows too!). i totally relate to the embarrasement factor, i just hate sitting in class, knowing that people are watching me looking for split ends and pulling out the alien hairs. youre really not alone though, there are lots of people on this board with trich. one thing you could do, when you have idle hands, do something with them. something like always carrying around a stress toy, or something similar. that way, you would let your eyelashes grow back, and then maybe carry it on after they are back or find something else to get you through it.
i know its so hard to leave hairs in there when your mind is telling you to get rid of it like its just not sposed to be there. if i find an alien hair or split end, i feel like ive got something on me thats really nasty and it needs to come out, but i need to take my own advice really and try to stop!! i have very little will power.
i also have depression (have had since i was about 12) and have a history of self harm...i dont personally feel i can relate this to the trich though, trich is more something that happens-i find an abnormality and i HAVE to get rid of it. my self harming is more to take something out on myself...one is trying to fix me, the other to destroy me if im making sense.
take care, youre NOT alone!
lis

Old 09-29-2004, 07:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User

I have a history too. I did entire chunk pulling from my head for a while until I forced myself to stop. Then it was searching for split ends and pulling or just wild coarse hairs... anything that looked "imperfect" to me. I still catch myself pulling split ends sometimes.

I also did the eyelash pulling for a while, and I noticed that mine was MUCH MUCH worse when I was wearing mascara. For some reason, that made me more aware of my eyelashes and I pulled them more. I'd also tug on mascara clumps really bad which would lead to breakage. They looked terrible. I don't know if you've tried this, but I went on a "mascara strike" for a while. I basically had to wear little if any eye makeup, and definitely no mascara. After a few weeks of that, the pulling slowed down and eventually stopped. I went a few weeks longer to reinforce the broken habit then was able to start wearing mascara again.

Maybe this could help you? Of course, I was only in highschool at the time, so I didn't have to wear makeup. This may not be an option for you, but good luck!
DD born 3/24/2005

Old 09-29-2004, 11:22 PM   #5

sensibleshoes HB User

I have it too. And I made it to 47 with it! I haven't done eyelashes since I was a teen. But the eyebrows and any gray hair are at great risk! Since my hair is now colored, I look for the ones that have a funny texture, and get great satisfaction when the root does turn out to be gray.

I get tweezer happy sometimes and start working on my legs. The only bad result from that is ingrown hairs here and there! Maybe you could try that for relief.

And there are other things that go with it - I shread the skin on the side of my fingers until they bleed, (stopped that with acrylic nails, cause you can't do it with them!) Got a razor device to shave callouses off my feet - and frequently get so carried away with it that I cut myself.

Zit popping is another horrible fascination - and I can spend hours in a magnifying mirror - and since I don't HAVE any anymore, that causes anxiety.

So - what can you do? Well start by realizing that it relieves stress. It's also a sign that you think you have to "purge" your skin of something bad to make it perfect. That there's something just under your skin that you have to get rid of. I think that trying a medication to control it is your best option, and otherwise, I'd say RELAX. Accept that it's there, and that sometimes you may not be able to control it. Then try to discipline yourself to do something else when you get the impulse. And notice that when things are going well in your life, you do it less. Bottom line, try to get rid of the things that are stressing you out, and the hair pulling will slow down if not stop.

Old 09-30-2004, 04:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User

I also shred the sides of my fingernails until they bleed, then sometimes try to make them bleed more... and, come to think of it, I was doing that a long time before all my other psychiatric issues showed up....
Kristina

Old 10-17-2004, 12:31 PM   #7

mank HB User

Pulling out your eye lashes is a Form of Trichitellomania.
Any pulling of the hair is considered "Trich".
My sister pulls out her eyelashes, but I pull out my hair, so I too have trich. I know what it is like to have that urge and not be able to stop it.
It's a feeling like no other...
It feels good to do it but then you face the pain and guilt from doing it after.
The results are sickening.
I take meds and have been for 6 years. I am afraid to do with out my meds as I fell they are a calming effect and help me that way.
Good luck...

MANK

Closed Thread