It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2004, 09:15 PM   #1

RatGirl HB User
Help! I've got a cold and am terrified.

I hate hate hate this. It's been a problem forever. whenever I get sick or have the slightest health problem I am certain I am going to die. I've been under a lot of stress lately, feeling a little depressed for a number of reasons that are understandable, so my logical mind knows I just wore myself down till I got sick. I was sleeping a lot last week partially due to my meds (they've always done that) partially because when I'm upset, I sleep a lot. But of course, I'm convinced I'm thisclose to death. I woke up last night with sinus trouble and was convinced I had cancer and I was going to be dead or that they would have to cut up my face to get it out. Today I am so weak and fevery and obviously have a head cold, but now I'm convinced I have HIV even though I'm very low risk (I've only had 3 partners in my life, all *very* low risk, anyone else, we never had sex and we didn't exchange any fluid beyond kissing.) One of my friends has HIV but you don't get it by being friends with someone and my fear escalated severely when I saw a character on a show who might have it...tv can really screw me up. So anyway, I'm terrified, even though I know I'm nuts. What will it be tomorrow? Leprosy? (Don't laugh...I've been afraid I had weirder stuff.) I am absolutely terrified of doctors. I break bones and refuse to see a doctor. I have to be heavily sedated to walk in the door of a doctor's office, so I don't know that going in and having them tell me I have a cold will work. I *know* it's a cold (sinus pressure, raspy throat, tired, feverish, feel better when I take nyquil), so WHY can't I convince my OCD brain of this. I'm *fine* most of the time. I rarely get sick. I am allergic to a lot of things, but that's different. I work out, I'm high energy in general, but when I get sick, I fall apart emotionally and just feel like disappearing. I'm so scared. It gets like before I got treatment when I lived in constant unrelenting fear. I hate it. Back then I couldn't say the words of HIV/AIDS or similar illness, or look at the words, or type them or anything. When I get a cold or flu, it's almost as bad all over again. I *know* it's irrational. I know it doesn't make sense. I'm also terrified of other diseases, so it's not even just one in particular. Anyone have any encouraging words or tips on coping. I know it's just me being crazy, but I can't help it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2004, 02:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Help! I've got a cold and am terrified.

Hi , sounds like hypochondria with white coat phobia, if docs actually wear white coats where you are, ask doc to please remove it

hypochondria is distressing and can be helped a lot by an understanding doc but sadly these are rare, it may help to see a psychiatrist as these originally did general medical training and hopefully will be kinder and more understanding to you

if you are doped up when seeing doc, tell him precisely what meds and dose you have taken

more exercise always will help to relax you and thus reduce your fears and worries

Old 09-25-2004, 10:11 PM   #3

RatGirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hry33
Hi , sounds like hypochondria with white coat phobia, if docs actually wear white coats where you are, ask doc to please remove it

hypochondria is distressing and can be helped a lot by an understanding doc but sadly these are rare, it may help to see a psychiatrist as these originally did general medical training and hopefully will be kinder and more understanding to you

if you are doped up when seeing doc, tell him precisely what meds and dose you have taken

more exercise always will help to relax you and thus reduce your fears and worries
Well, it's more than the coats, it's the whole place and the way doctors act, and the smell and...well you get the idea. I will mention the coat next time too. That's a good idea.

I currently see a psychiatrist on a regular basis, and at times see 2 of them, but this fear as thus far been too intense to work on much.

I always let Dr.s know what I'm on when I go and offer them my psychiatrist's number. Unfortunately some take the attitude that "it's silly to be afraid of doctors" and treat me like I'm an irritating child. Joy.

I do weight training, yoga, pilates, and aerobic exercise. Maybe one of the reasons my anxiety gets so bad when I'm sick is that I can't do my normal exercise routine?

Feeling a little better today.

Old 09-25-2004, 10:14 PM   #4

RatGirl HB User

Oh, and by the way, thanks for the response. Sometimes it's just nice to know someone is listening when you're scared.

Closed Thread