It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2004, 03:50 AM   #1

Taurus80 HB User
Is "what if" necessary for OCD?

Hi there, I've been away from this forum for a long time...mainly due to my university which is very time consuming!
The last week was fantastic, I was 90% OCD free, in the sense that even if I had the bizarre thoughts I was able to control them; I've found that these thoughts are feeding on anxiety...if you don't get anxious about them, they go away, at least that is how it works for me!
Sadly, 2 days ago I've started again with these pseudo-paranoid and pseudo-delusional thoughts...the process is always the same: read symptom on the internet->try to imagine the symptom->freak out->repeat at will.
My question is: it's necessary for OCD thoughts to be based on a "what if"? I ask this because mine are very intrusive and don't start with a what if, something like "Ok I've read that schizophrenics think their mums are aliens...<intrusive thought> my mum is an alien <end of intrusive thought> Hey, damn, I must not think this thought because it's a crazy one, and what if I believe it by thinking about it too much?"
One thing is certain: we OCDers know ourselves very much well to be able to torture our minds like this.

Last edited by Taurus80; 09-25-2004 at 04:52 AM.

Old 09-25-2004, 02:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
Re: Is "what if" necessary for OCD?

I also have unwanted thoughts from OCD and so sympathise with you

OCD is caused by anxiety and in the diagnostic manual used by psychs, is claassed as an anxiety disorder, it doesnt lead to other types of mental illness

the what ifs are likely to be anticipatory anxiety

thinking too much can be countered by listening to pleasant music or even watching soap operas on TV

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2004, 07:22 AM   #3

Taurus80 HB User
Re: Is "what if" necessary for OCD?

Thank you for your reply hry33! My only fear is that my thoughts are so crazy...I know that I've them because of my internet searches, but now I fear I'm driving myself crazy by thinking them. I would like to be good again like last week...

Closed Thread