It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2004, 03:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User
Anyone else not on medication?

I have always had some symptoms of OCD, with no symptoms of depression. I have often been able to kind of "force" myself out of habits. I once went through a stage of pulling out hair/eyelashes and eventually just kind of made myself quit when I began noticing thinning spots. This has been the story of my life. Some things I have yet to overcome, especially those associated with fears. I've never told anyone I suspected I had OCD. I manage to fake "normal" around other people, even though weird things are going on in my head, I've learned not to act on them. I was just wondering if anyone else wasn't medicated and attempting to deal this way, or if anyone else has "hidden" their OCD. I've done it out of a determination to fit in.

If so, do you feel "strange" or "crazy" on the inside through everyone else thinks you have it all together? I've always feared I was a little nuts, even since childhood I've felt weird on the inside. I worry about going crazy someday. I'm sure this is just another OCD symptom, but how do I get it to go away? I really function well without medication and don't feel like I need it. Is there any other way to straighten out or redirect OCD thoughts?
DD born 3/24/2005

Last edited by siren1024; 09-25-2004 at 03:57 PM.

Old 09-25-2004, 10:59 PM   #2
(female)

NinjaCowboy HB User
Re: Anyone else not on medication?

I can't tell you if there's really a way to 'fix' it without help, but I have had obvious (to others) ocd symtopms for the last several years. It escalated after I lost my job almost 2 years ago. My boyfriend recently broke up with me, and I think it's because my ocd tendencies got much worse under all the stress from being unemployed, as well as the fact that he thought I was being too needy and dependent on him (which, at the time, I was).
Anyway, we are still living together until next week when our lease is up, and in the past few weeks I have found these boards and had him read a lot too. I am now positive that I have ocd, but I have not been officially diagnosed - I don't have any sort of insurance and it will probably be a few years before I can a doctor of any sort...
He believes it too, now we are not exactly broken up... We agreed to not live together for at least the next year to see if I can stabilize myself, rediscover who I really am, and function as an independent woman. But we are still a couple. I feel great about this, I still have love, support, and my man, but I also have a chance to focus on myself.
But from everything I have read, I think I have had ocd since early childhood, and I have managed to keep it controlled somehow. Honestly, I always felt 'wrong' somehow, but never really realized that I had a problem except for periods of extreme stress (i.e. most of grammar school, junior high, and high school, then nothing until a few recent events)...
Although I have always been a loner. Now that makes me wonder if avoiding people was/is just a way to make time for and/or keep secret my ocd behavior....
I also suffer from depression, and I believe that seasonal depression as well...
I can't wait until I have insurance and can talk with a professional to see whether I really am crazy or not

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2004, 10:10 AM   #3

karigirl HB User

having ocd doesnt mean your crazy...
also..siren1024, if you are dealing well on your own without medication, then I don;t see a need for drugs...
you seem to have at least some power over your habits and tendancies...just keep strong and educate yourself on OCD
good luck

Old 09-27-2004, 03:27 PM   #4
(female)

Kime HB User

You may want to look into inositol. Our doctor put our son on it for his ocd symptoms (but he is only on week 2 and it takes 6 weeks for results so I can't tell you if it works yet). Inositol is a substance that is natural for your body, like a vitamin except that it isn't considered a vitamin because your body can manufacture it but apparently some people need more than their bodies manufacture and so it seems that quite a few people suffering from OCD can be helped by taking inositol. You can buy it at a health food store but I have found it much cheaper at online stores than the stores around here. If you are interested look at my post in the Alternative OCD thread where I put the protocol of how much to take, and you can also find information by doing a web search.

Closed Thread