It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2004, 08:13 PM   #1
(female)

natthebug HB User
How would I know if my sone has OCD?

I am curious what the signs are. He has always had behavior and eating problems. I doesn't eat any meat, or any other food kids normally eat, he has not since he was a baby, he is almost 7. He is in 2nd grade. He is a perfectionist in that if things aren't exactly how he wants he throws a hysterical fit. But on the other hand he is a completel slob with everyrthing, he writes messy eats messy his room is a mess, etc. He gets mad at stuff so easily. He is not behind developmentally when it comes to academics. He is behind in maturity a lot. He has problems in school because he will not stay seated, he always messes with other kids when they are trying to do their work and disrupts the class. He again at school throws ridiculous temper tantrums throwing himself on the floor screaming. The kids in the class just always ask whatsthe matter with him. His teacher told me he will probably always be like this, screaming at the drop of a hat, getting upset bacsue he can't do this or that, even though everyone knows he can. I am just curious if maybe that could be his problem. I do not know what to do with him accept love him. He is very loving most of the time, but then other times he just says he wants to be left alone and of course gets violent when his little brother (3) will not leave him alone. Does this sound familiar at all???? I am just at the end and do not know what to do. I do not want him to have horrible memories of his growing up life because he is sooo unhappy alll the time. Can anyone help me/give me advise/ or insight?????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2004, 04:27 AM   #2

eyelinerfairy HB User
Re: How would I know if my sone has OCD?

hmm this doesnt really sound like any ocd symptoms i have come across, i doubt it could be ocd. the refusal to eat some food, could this just be because he doesnt like certain tastes or textures? the disruption of classes, have you looked into something called ADHD? attention defecit hyperactivity disorder, and children with this often do have tendencies of disrupting classes, outbursts of violence even though theyre usually good kids. you could look into that, go to the ADD board, pretty near the top of the list of boards.
anyway, give it a go, good luck and keep us posted! i hope you manage to find out whats wrong and then your son can begin to recieve the necesarry help
take care,
lis

Old 09-30-2004, 05:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Wink Re: How would I know if my sone has OCD?

I doubt it's OCD too and I think ADHD would be worth looking into, but be aware that bipolar is often diagnosed as ADHD in kids. Bipolar would be a good thing to look into although his symptoms are not typical of ADULT bipolar and what most people think of when they hear "bipolar". Maybe check out "The Bipolar Child" by Dmitri Papolos (sp?), as the behaviors that you say your son is exhibiting sound somewhat like some stuff that I think I read in that book...
Kristina

Old 09-30-2004, 12:10 PM   #4
(female)

Crazy4ever HB User
Re: How would I know if my sone has OCD?

Speaking from experience - it is probably ADHD. My oldest son was like that. Complete slob, picky about foods, angry, possesive,etc. They get angry because they cannot control things like normal kids do. My son also had disgraphia, finger agnosia and one other problem related to the physical act of writing. He would get mad and did not like to write because he could not control his pencil. He would literaly bounce of the furniture and walls. He could not sit in his chair when we sat down to dinner. What you are describing is exactly how my son was. I would suggest getting him some testing done right away and he will need to take medication. I also highly recommend counseling. Children who are ADHD are usually also depressed. Counseling for the family will also help with dealing with a child with ADHD because they can really try your patience! Whatever you do, do not allow the school to test him and label him as emotionally disabled! It will stick with him. My son quit taking medication in the beginning of high school. It was his decision and he felt like he could control himself. He basically did. His grades still suffered but it was not from the ADHD. His IQ in elementary school (4th grade I think) was 129 so he is very smart just gets bored with mundane day to day stuff. That may also be another one of your sons problems.

My son is now 21 and is in the United States Marine Corps and functions very well without any more medications or side effects from the disorder. When he is home, he is still a slob and still perfectionist in some areas as always. Somethings will not change no matter what you do, but the sooner you get him help the better off everyone else will be.

Good luck with your son!

Closed Thread