It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2004, 11:48 PM   #1

firewife911 HB User
How Do I Cope With Ocd Spouse???

I NEED HELP!!!

I have been married for almost 4 years and my husband has OCD/OCPD. I love my husband very much but I am scared we will end up divorced. I can't stand the constant cleaning, complaining, & obsessing. It has gotten worse this year and seems to be aggravated by stress. He tried taking Paxil with no luck and then Zoloft. He decided one morning to stop taking Zoloft because he was "sick of being on medication and it didn't help". I have been very supportive but I feel like I am going insane. I can't do anything right and I am sick of the verbal abuse. Everything revolves around him & his obsessions and I can't reason with him anymore.

I am hoping that someone out there with OCD/OCPD or someone who is married to someone with OCD/OCPD can give me advice on how to deal with this illness. I have researched over the net but everything is mostly for someone with OCD and not for the ones who have to live with someone with OCD. (If that just made sense)
Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you!
Tisha

Last edited by firewife911; 11-18-2004 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Change title

Old 11-19-2004, 12:25 PM   #2

elenaroberts HB User
Re: How Do I Cope With Ocd Spouse???

Hi i have ocd, i think he must see a pyschiatrist immediately dont give up because a med that helps someone may not help another person you should try other medicines.theres so much hope for him to get well .tell the doctor to give another medicine to him if this doesnt help,change your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2004, 07:44 AM   #3
Inactive

PAmermaids HB User

i have OCD and i am like that. i get upset and angry and cry (almost like a childish tantrum) if i can't get something to look right (like arranging pictures on a shelf or something) and i can't stop until its done, if i do i feel very depressed. I am currently on welbutrin, started 3 weeks ago, and before that i was on Zoloft, which was pretty good, i had to stop taking it because it was making me sick( headaches and nausea) strange since i had been on it a year and a half before it really was making me sick, but i htink so far i had best results with Zoloft, but everyone is different, don't give up, i go to counseling every week i have lots of issues, the counseling helps alot. My husband has been pretty understnding, he has known me a long time so i guess he is used to it. good luck i hope you find something that helps

Old 11-21-2004, 02:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to firewife
I suggest you point out to him that he does have a prroblem and point out to him how his behaviour is not normal

antidepressant meds sometimes do help, books on overcoming OCD have useful advice, but he does need to admit that he has a problem and to make an effort to get better

otherwise you may be better getting a divorce, does he expect you to become your full time psychiatric nurse

Old 11-24-2004, 11:36 PM   #5

firewife911 HB User

Thank you everyone for your advice!!!
I talked with my husband & he has agreed to seek counseling. We are going to try the meds again & see what happens. This is a life long journey but I am willing to stick it out. I told my husband that things had to change because I can't go on living like this. I support him 100% but he has to give 100% towards getting himself better.

Thanks again everyone!
Tisha

Old 12-20-2006, 05:52 PM   #6
(female)

marysunshine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewife911
Thank you everyone for your advice!!!
I talked with my husband & he has agreed to seek counseling. We are going to try the meds again & see what happens. This is a life long journey but I am willing to stick it out. I told my husband that things had to change because I can't go on living like this. I support him 100% but he has to give 100% towards getting himself better.

Thanks again everyone!
Tisha
Hi , I have been married to someone with OCD for over 20 years.......not been easy. But it has been most resent that I realized know matter how much you try to understand this OCD you can't. It's better for them to talk to other people that understand them. It upset you because it seems it's always about them. I also love mine very much. But you need to love your self to. You can not change them. I dont understand what is going threw there head, I just know be there to be his friend and not the wife.

Closed Thread