It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2004, 05:10 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Sillygrl HB UserSillygrl HB User
Intrusive thoughts???

Ok I am a little concerned. I occasionally have intrusive thoughts and I was wondering if any of you know if people who have intrusive thoughts actually act on them. That would be terrible if this was so, please tell me that people dont!

Old 12-01-2004, 07:04 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Re: Intrusive thoughts???

Does anyone know?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2004, 07:06 PM   #3
Inactive

ontheway HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillygrl
Ok I am a little concerned. I occasionally have intrusive thoughts and I was wondering if any of you know if people who have intrusive thoughts actually act on them. That would be terrible if this was so, please tell me that people dont!
Hi there, Almost all of us OCders have intrusive thoughts, thats all they are is thoughts and people don't really act on them. they feel they will because thats the OCD trying to make you think that you are going to. but You arnt the thought and urge will past..in the meantime remember its OCD thought and its not your thought, and I know you would noty act out on it, you know it too, your mind is just messing with you at the moment.

I was in the hospital and I got this from there, and I'd like to share with you..if I can remember it all... ( I just looked for the paper and can't find it ) It says a thought is only a thought, I am not my thoughts they come and go , If I happen to find it I will type it on here for you to read.. Its true.

You are NOT your thoughts, thoughts are thoughts, they cant make u act on something...I know its hard to hear the heart when the mind is loud.. but you know in your heart you won't ever act on anything horrible such as those thoughts in your mind that are produced by OCD... please hang in there..God bless u always (( hugs ))

Ur friend

Old 12-01-2004, 08:49 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Wow, thank you so much for your response. It actually made me almost cry. I know that in my heart I would never want to do anything I sometimes cant help but think about. I occasionally have intrusive thoughts about harming people, like family or friends, usually its a worry or obsession that I will. For some reason I am having a really hard time. Before I could handle them pretty well, I would think "ok that was just a thought" and I would go on and forget about it. I would also rarely have them. Like just today it has been a problem. Could it maybe have to do with the fact that I have been pretty stressed with school and work related issues and this is kinda weird, but do any women on here notice they have a harder time when on their menstrual cycle?

Old 12-01-2004, 08:55 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Oh and God bless you ontheway!

The Following User Says Thank You to Sillygrl For This Useful Post:
Nicolemae (11-09-2010)
Old 12-02-2004, 04:59 AM   #6
(female)

leonna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway
Hi there, Almost all of us OCders have intrusive thoughts, thats all they are is thoughts and people don't really act on them. they feel they will because thats the OCD trying to make you think that you are going to. but You arnt the thought and urge will past..in the meantime remember its OCD thought and its not your thought, and I know you would noty act out on it, you know it too, your mind is just messing with you at the moment.

I was in the hospital and I got this from there, and I'd like to share with you..if I can remember it all... ( I just looked for the paper and can't find it ) It says a thought is only a thought, I am not my thoughts they come and go , If I happen to find it I will type it on here for you to read.. Its true.

You are NOT your thoughts, thoughts are thoughts, they cant make u act on something...I know its hard to hear the heart when the mind is loud.. but you know in your heart you won't ever act on anything horrible such as those thoughts in your mind that are produced by OCD... please hang in there..God bless u always (( hugs ))

Ur friend

That was real nice...I have intrusive thought's 2..and i know i would never act on them...but,it's hard to see that. it's like everyday,your mind HAS to worry about something,no matter what it is,if its a big thing or the sillyist thing,your mind has to worry!...i really hope one day i can get some tablets or something which will make this go away..
but yea,im babbling lol.

Old 12-04-2004, 03:11 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

I really know how you feel. For awhile the intrusive thoughts were pretty minimal and if there, I was handling them pretty well. Then all this stress happened to me and I was worrying about that and I had like like no intrusive thougts. Then I get a handle on my stress and now the intrusive thoughts are back and it seems I am back to square one. I never get a break. I am really worried all the time and really no one knows about this, and I fear that if they ever did they would not want to know me. I am really starting to feel like an outsider. I felt like this maybe a year ago and since then I have felt better, but lately I feel pretty darn bad.
I know that I wouldnt ever act on the intrusive thoughts, but part of the obsession and constant worry is that maybe you will. I cant take it sometimes. I know that I am a good person and I dont ever want to think these thougts ever again if I could help it. I know that I am decent, but this really makes me feel like a freak and less of a person.

Old 12-04-2004, 04:02 AM   #8

Montgumski HB User
I have them pretty bad as well....

Your never going to get rid of the cyclic thinking because of the way your brain works. This is an anxiety condition.You can however control it to some degree.

I think the key with anxiety is controlling how you are going to react to certain things that have the ability to really bother you. We, as worriers ,tend to overreact to things and we need to relearn and recondition ourselves to react appropriately so we do not get bent of shape. I spend a lot of my time telling myself, "let it go", "why worry about something I can't control", " thats the way it is", or " I am strong, I know I can." And I don't just say it I BELIEVE it.

When there are things that hit us hard and we feel like thoughts are taking over, the best thing to do is to actually relax our body. Yes, thats right, because a troubled mind cannot exist in a relaxed body. If your breathing is shallow you are under stress.

So what I do is I use positive self talk to eliminate when worries surface and set aside time to relax and mellow out. Remember when you were younger and you were alone in your bed and you felt that free state and you almost felt like you could stare at the ceiling for hours. It's actually possible to put yourself back into that state at will by calming your mind.

Know thyself! ....and good luck

Old 12-04-2004, 10:50 AM   #9
(female)

artsykid HB User

I just wanted to say that, yes my OCD gets way worse around my period and ecpecially lately. It sucks so bad. HAs anyone tried wellbutrin becuase I was just put on it. I will pray for you all - we can beat this thing...i know we can.

Old 12-04-2004, 01:08 PM   #10
Inactive

ontheway HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillygrl
Wow, thank you so much for your response. It actually made me almost cry. I know that in my heart I would never want to do anything I sometimes cant help but think about. I occasionally have intrusive thoughts about harming people, like family or friends, usually its a worry or obsession that I will. For some reason I am having a really hard time. Before I could handle them pretty well, I would think "ok that was just a thought" and I would go on and forget about it. I would also rarely have them. Like just today it has been a problem. Could it maybe have to do with the fact that I have been pretty stressed with school and work related issues and this is kinda weird, but do any women on here notice they have a harder time when on their menstrual cycle?
Hey you
How are you doing today ? You doing ok for today ? I know you would not do anything like that because for the simple fact is you have OCD and I know these thought sur getting are from OCD ONLY not from you and OCD will try to make you doubt yourself and make you think its you but Its not that, just remember when things get confusing that you have OCD and this is produced from OCD, read about OCD in your moments of suffering thru the thoughts that usual helps bring me back to the understanding of its OCD.. I'm glad you really liked the saying i posted I would like to find the paper with it on it I will find it and I will post it here all of it.. but I'll remind you again what it says

A thought is only a thought, I'm not my thoughts they come in go... hang in there even when its so hard your going to get thru this OCD just keep working on it also remember nothing is impossible with GOD, have faith (( hugs ))

Ur friend, who understands, God bless you thru your suffering

Old 12-04-2004, 01:11 PM   #11
Inactive

ontheway HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonna
That was real nice...I have intrusive thought's 2..and i know i would never act on them...but,it's hard to see that. it's like everyday,your mind HAS to worry about something,no matter what it is,if its a big thing or the sillyist thing,your mind has to worry!...i really hope one day i can get some tablets or something which will make this go away..
but yea,im babbling lol.
Hey there, I'm glad that you liked it, just remember its very true, Its not your thoughts even if OCD makes u doubt that because this is called the doubting diease.. as I have told sillyGirl when your suffering thru the thought come online and read about the OCD and it will bring back to the understanding of its OCD and not you... I know you wont act on them in your heart you know it too its just hard to feel whats in the heart when the mind is making you feel all kinds of things, you are not your thoughts and they do come and go and when they repeat just know its OCD and have faith that your going to be ok and beat this illness because nothing is impossible with God.. please hang in there for yourself, us, (( hugs )) God bless u thru your suffering, let me know how u are doing also

Ur friend

Last edited by ontheway; 12-04-2004 at 01:14 PM.

Old 12-04-2004, 02:05 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

I really appreciate all your posts, they help tons! I just dont understand why I am worse right now. I am thinking (tell me what you all think) that after a period of immense stress, and the stress is going away with the mind left to not worry, you have to worry about something. So, bc of the stress before I had few intrusive thoughts and then when there is minimal stress they come back to take over the stress in my brain. I am so sick of thinking thoughts about people I care about. It makes me sick sometimes. I am ok today I had a lot of fun last night with my friends and when I have fun it is pretty easy to relax. Well, hope you all are ok!

Old 12-04-2004, 05:36 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

Hi there

Have you read my post "about unwanted thoughts"? It is on the second page now, has been a while since I posted it. It might help you.

I don't know if I agree with the person who said we can never get rid of that kind of thinking. Well, maybe not completely, but I think we can re-train our brain... to use different neural pathways etc. That's what cognitive-behavioral therapy does.

Well I guess it depends on what you call "get rid of it". We might always have the tendency toward that kind of thinking... but then, even non-ocders have intrusive thoughts, and might even worry about them sometimes shortly - there's a fine line where it crosses over into OCD I guess, right? On the other hand, it is so easy to tell, usually, if something actually feels like an OCD thought...

I remember reading somewhere that OCDers don't act on their intrusive thoughts. Which makes sense to me.

Kathrin

Old 12-05-2004, 12:29 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Hi guys, does anyone else know anything about people acting on their intusive thoughts? That would be so horrible if that was the case. Also, I am curious if the intrusive thoughts and constant worry can also be an anxiety issue?

Old 12-06-2004, 11:12 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User

Hello again,

I think I didn't say this strong enough, I just read over what I wrote about acting on intrusive thoughts. Actually not just once, but in pretty much everything I read on the subject, it says that OCDers never act on their intrusive thoughts.

Here's an example of what I found online:

"In OCD, obsession refers to the thought patterns. These thoughts are intrusive, unwanted thoughts which are violent (Censored Stephen King book violent), fearful, sexual, or a combination in form, which occure over and over in the persons mind. They most often represent the things the person would be the last to do. For example someone with OCD may think of putting their child in the oven. Again, I stress that people with OCD are least likely to act on these thoughts. They are not impulses"

Kathrin

Closed Thread