It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2005, 12:01 PM   #1

elenaroberts HB User
Unhappy Maths Thoughts

Hi i have ocd ,i have thoughts about maths problems ,understanding sentences ,words and things like that.i understand something in lots of ways,and believe this is true but the bad thing is this is ruining my lessons.because im thinking differently, i cannot understand the easiest things that everyone understands.before those thoughts i was one of the best students!!!does anyone else have this problem and do you know how to deal with it??it was all ok when i was using anafranil,now i just started citalophram(celexa).(a few weeks ago)

Old 01-02-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Question Re: Maths Thoughts

If it was all ok when you started Anafranil (I'm on that too, except I'm on the generic: clomipramine), then why did you switch or add another medicine? Also, I'm not exactly sure of what the problem is and how it relates to OCD type symptoms. Can you give a specific example or two?
Be well,
Kristina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2005, 05:22 PM   #3
(female)

AlwaysFreakdOut HB User
Re: Maths Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elenaroberts
Hi i have ocd ,i have thoughts about maths problems ,understanding sentences ,words and things like that.i understand something in lots of ways,and believe this is true but the bad thing is this is ruining my lessons.because im thinking differently, i cannot understand the easiest things that everyone understands.before those thoughts i was one of the best students!!!does anyone else have this problem and do you know how to deal with it??it was all ok when i was using anafranil,now i just started citalophram(celexa).(a few weeks ago)
When I learned how to type, I would non-stop type in my head. Then I went to school to become a court reporter; I could not stop the continuous typing in my head and I would even type (in court reporting language) in my mind as other people were talking or just when I was thinking. I had to quit school because of that. In fact, after that happened, I had a complete OCD breakdown and had to quit everything for a while. I started having bad thoughts all of the time. I also worked at a bank and had to process checks and do the ten key...same thing - I basically had tons of account numbers memorized because I just kept on going over them in my mind...pretty exhausting!

Old 01-03-2005, 07:12 PM   #4
(male)

tony55 HB User

elenaroberts, I wish I could help you. Maybe you can take comfort in knowing that other people have the same problems you do. I also have had problems with reading sentences and doing math problems. I would get stuck on a word or reread a passage over and over. I kept doubting whether I understood or read something correctly. Same thing with math. I would check the numbers over and over. Needless to say, I did understand the material, I was just doubting myself. A therapist may be able to help you. For mild OCD, therapy may be all you need. If the OCD is bad, you may need to take medication too. Sometimes people get so stressed that they can't do the exposure/response prevention therapy and they need medication to calm down. Good luck! You may want to buy a book on OCD first, so you can make better use of your therapy.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:28 AM   #5

elenaroberts HB User

Thank you all for your replies.i had to quit anafranil because of the side effects.i dont check the numbers over and over .instead i just think about every little thing.i always doubt what if the way im learning these things is false?what if all the people are perceiving problems and solutions differently.these are the little thoughts.i have thoughts which are hard to think!!!im always thinking abot that X thing. and > and <.does it mean the possible numbers X could get or are they X ??or is X only one number???complicated isnt it??well i hope you understand what it meansmy english isnt good enough to talk about maths!

Closed Thread