It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2005, 06:56 PM   #1
(male)

chriss02 HB User
intrusive thoughts problem...

i keep hearing that the thoughts are only thoughts and stuff and that people wont act on them. but still how do you know? people are saying they would never do harm to so and so. but i'm still not convinced. WHAT IF I DID? WHAT IF I REALLY DO WANT TO?

is there some backing to how i can convince myself i won't harm someone? is the fact that i'm on this board right now worrying about me hurting someone some sort of evidence that i won't actually do it? i mean what if i start believing my intrusive thoughts?? what if believing them forced me to actually do it?

god i hate my mind all of this is so ridiculous but i cant seem to convince myself that i wont actually hurt someone. someone help please.

Old 01-10-2005, 07:25 PM   #2
(male)

Bampos HB User
Re: intrusive thoughts problem...

My thoughts are different and I haven't been diagnosed with OCD yet. But the fact that you're questiong, "Will I?", "Have I?" sounds like it. I did the same thing. I'm the furthest thing from a professional and I'm new to this myself. But I suggest you start researching. READ! Do an on-line search for OCD. I got a lot of information about OCD from the "OCD Center in Los Angeles" and the "OCD online" websites. Since we're not allowed to post links just do an on-line search for those websites. There is a lot of information on OCD and OCD related symptoms. Learning may bring some relief. It did for me.

Last edited by Bampos; 01-11-2005 at 07:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2005, 08:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User

Chriss
I and everyone on this board could tell you, they are just thoughts
and you wont act on them, but you have to be the one to believe
in yourself! I dont know you but from your post you sound like someone
that's having disturbing thoughts and you want them to go away. Doesnt
that tell you what kind of person your are and that you'd never act on them.
People on this board want help just as you and from their posting it obvious
they are paniced & replused by these thoughts which is also in my eyes proof
they're not going to act on them. Yes the thoughts are intrusive to say the
least but they are just thoughts, Ive been getting them for 18 yrs and if it helps
Ive even been hospitalized twice due to my bipolar condition. Yes I did believe my instrusive thoughts whole heartly, no one could convience me different, but I never acted on them. I just got more paranoid about them, until I got my bipolar under
control. For me it's all about self talk, yes at times it's very frustrating, but it's worth
a try, what do you have to lose.

Maybe I misunderstood you but if you are actually feeling that you want to act on these thoughts then you should seriously consider calling a crisis center and talk with them. Take Care, K

P.S. Forgot to mention you've already taken a positive step in helping
yourself by posting here, keep it up, you're doing great!!!

Last edited by kiehn; 01-10-2005 at 08:49 PM.

Old 01-11-2005, 05:22 AM   #4
(female)

leonna HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss02
i keep hearing that the thoughts are only thoughts and stuff and that people wont act on them. but still how do you know? people are saying they would never do harm to so and so. but i'm still not convinced. WHAT IF I DID? WHAT IF I REALLY DO WANT TO?

is there some backing to how i can convince myself i won't harm someone? is the fact that i'm on this board right now worrying about me hurting someone some sort of evidence that i won't actually do it? i mean what if i start believing my intrusive thoughts?? what if believing them forced me to actually do it?

god i hate my mind all of this is so ridiculous but i cant seem to convince myself that i wont actually hurt someone. someone help please.

I feel the same i dunno what to do and i dunno what to say to you,coz i 2 belive that if i didnt want to act on them,why would i get them!? its nasty and its sick..and i *********** hate it!! i wish i was never born :'( im a horrible sick person. i must be

Old 01-11-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
(male)

chriss02 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiehn
Chriss
I and everyone on this board could tell you, they are just thoughts
and you wont act on them, but you have to be the one to believe
in yourself! I dont know you but from your post you sound like someone
that's having disturbing thoughts and you want them to go away. Doesnt
that tell you what kind of person your are and that you'd never act on them.
People on this board want help just as you and from their posting it obvious
they are paniced & replused by these thoughts which is also in my eyes proof
they're not going to act on them. Yes the thoughts are intrusive to say the
least but they are just thoughts, Ive been getting them for 18 yrs and if it helps
Ive even been hospitalized twice due to my bipolar condition. Yes I did believe my instrusive thoughts whole heartly, no one could convience me different, but I never acted on them. I just got more paranoid about them, until I got my bipolar under
control. For me it's all about self talk, yes at times it's very frustrating, but it's worth
a try, what do you have to lose.

Maybe I misunderstood you but if you are actually feeling that you want to act on these thoughts then you should seriously consider calling a crisis center and talk with them. Take Care, K

P.S. Forgot to mention you've already taken a positive step in helping
yourself by posting here, keep it up, you're doing great!!!

no i dont want to act on these thoughts. i think if i did then they wouldnt bother me so much but it's like when i say i dont want to act on them something inside me keeps saying "yeah right" or "yes you do". god ocd just sucks. it's hard for me to say i dont want to because of this thing inside me that keeps saying i do. so it's very hard to believe anything anymore because i dont know what i believe! and i mean anything. i could say right now that theres still hope for me to get through this but something inside keeps going "what if there isnt hope?" or "you dont have any hope". it's really hard...

Old 01-11-2005, 06:03 PM   #6
(female)

artsykid HB User

Have you ever tried medication or therapy? Medication has helped me soo much...hang in there and there IS hope I promise!

Closed Thread