It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2005, 09:31 PM   #1

prettyboi22 HB User
prozac users

Hello

This is to all the prozac users that are using it for ocd and obesssions. WHat dose did this med work for this sickness? currently im on 40 and to be honest its helping a bit but not enough for my OCD/obesssions. WHat about u all?

Old 01-14-2005, 05:48 AM   #2
(female)

artsykid HB User
Re: prozac users

I was on 20, then went up to 40. I seem to be doing alot better but I also think I am pretty sensitive to medication. My Dr. told me to stay at 40 but if I start feelin bad again we can go up to 60. I think with OCD- it usually takes a higher dosage of SSRIs than say...depression.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2005, 01:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

the dose range for ordinary prozac is 20 to 80, occasionally it doesnt work at any dose

Old 01-16-2005, 04:30 PM   #4
(male)

dgold HB User

for OCD for prozac you must be on 60-80 mg to work. Prozac from studies is excellent anti-depressiant but from what I read only has modest affects on OCD.

I would try other ones.

Old 01-16-2005, 06:05 PM   #5
(male)

son1981 HB User

how do u know this dgold? i think it is approved by the FDA for OCD

Old 01-17-2005, 06:09 PM   #6
(male)

dgold HB User

prozac does help OCD . It really varies for each person. But from what I read luvox and anafranil tend to have better response rate for OCD. While prozac is slightly better for depression.
Even through they all are SSRI. you have to understand there not identical and some target other Serotonin receptors more than other. Prozac hits the 5HT2c serotonin receptors more and luvox hits more of the 5ht1A2 receptors more or something like that lol.

Old 01-18-2005, 01:35 PM   #7
(male)

son1981 HB User

ok dgold thanks for the info but what would you say is better for ocd paxil or prozac?

Old 01-18-2005, 01:43 PM   #8
(female)

artsykid HB User

My Dr. said paxil is #1 then prozac #2. Im sure opinions vary. I have been on paxil but experienced some side effects and now take prozac and it is working great for me.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:27 PM   #9
(male)

dgold HB User

poison, I would stick to luvox first. Then if that did not work I would try maybe Paxil or lexapro for OCD. Finally if that dont work I would go on Anafranil ( has bad side effects like big wt. gain and extreme sedation , blury vision etc...).
Problem is most american doctors like to prescribe paxil and prozac because they have an interest in the american companies while luvox is european. For studies luvox and anafranil are tops for OCD for most people. I am no expert just read alot. I am far from a doctor lol However, if your like me and are only getting some results from luvox or SSRI then you might have to augment an anti-psychotic. I am getting close to trying to augment a small dose of risperdal with luvox.

Old 01-18-2005, 06:29 PM   #10
(male)

dgold HB User

Please dont get me wrong. prozac may work for OCD for some people but in general prozac appears to be king for depression/anxiety and OCD Second.

Old 01-19-2005, 09:11 AM   #11
Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Prozac truly saved my life--a life in which I'd become just one big walking obsession. A life where years of behavioral therapy and other ADs had not touched the problem. And, day after day, the OCD just fed and fed on the depression.But...for twelve years now I've taken Prozac at 80 mg a day (my body needed that large amount for the drug to reach its "therapeutic window")..and I am a different person. I am finally the "me" that I was so many years ago before the OCD just took over my daily life.

At lower levels, the OCD was helped...but not nearly so well as at the 80 mg. I'd say that about two to three week passed before I felt a real lessening of the OCD symptoms....but six months later they were 95 percent gone. And, now, twelve years later, at the same amount, they are STILL gone. That's why I use that overused phrase "saved my life." This drug truly did.

I saw my psychiatrist once a week for the first year to monitor the drug plus to discuss any emotional changes going on. Every year I had a blood test to determine that all was well. I now see the doctor every six months or so.

Talk with your doctor. This MAY be a drug for you. It's not for everyone. But if you had seen me before the Prozac....and then six months later, you would not have believed it was the same person. I was never so grateful for anything in my life as I was for this drug. I will never forget the horror of OCD and what it does to the "soul". I can so empathize with you...

Wish I had more time to talk, but I'm at work right now! Hope all goes well for you, and I'll be checking the Board. :-) Lynn

Last edited by Twinlynn; 01-19-2005 at 09:16 AM.

Closed Thread