It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2005, 09:59 AM   #1
(female)

Delfie HB User
Mental exhaustion

Does anyone else just feel mentally exhausted from telling yourself the same things over and over again? It's just a thought, it's just OCD, I am not going to do anything bad, I am not going crazy, etc, etc... the list is a mile long.

I think as long as I can control my reaction to a bad thought by not freaking out about it, then most of the time I am okay. Because really, I know it is just about the anxiety - the content of the thought is irrelevant.

But sometimes I just feel drained from it all. Even in the absence of the anxiety. I am just so sick of it! What can you do/tell yourself then?

Last edited by Delfie; 01-16-2005 at 10:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2005, 10:31 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User
Re: Mental exhaustion

Well this probably isnt the best advice, but when I need an escape I have a couple of drinks. Seriously on the positive side Ive been doing some research and found people suffering from OCD have found the supplement inositol/choline (which are B-vitamins)
have helped improve the OCD. If your interested do a search for "inositol choline ocd"
for dosage recomendations. Good Luck, K

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2005, 02:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

yes, OCD can wear you out mentally

Old 01-16-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Red face Re: Mental exhaustion

YES! I get so tired... exhaustion seems like a good way to describe it. Tired and tired OF it. I want to use my mind to think of OTHER things!
It's like jogging laps around a really small track... a little bit is healthy, but when you can't stop doing it over and over, it's too much and you tire. Just like in OCD, a little worrying is good of course, but too much and you just can't deal with it anymore.
Kristina

Old 09-15-2005, 10:58 AM   #5
(female)

kirkydir HB User

OCD does wear you out. I take vitamin B, omega-3 and inositol (and don't consume caffeine) and have noticed a big difference. My anxiety/panic attacks are no longer existent and my obsessions (I am a pure-O) have definetely decreased to a tolerable level. I can now function like a normal person. I have concentration and feel focused. It may not work for everyone but it is worth trying as there are no side effects. A double-blind study was performed and showed that inositol did help OCD sufferers (the article is in the American Journal of Psychiatry). You take it for a total of 3 months and then stop taking it with the hope that it has re-sensitized your serotonin receptors during this period.

Old 09-15-2005, 03:52 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

bkm4673 HB User

wow finally people understand i am soooooooooooooo exhausted also from my ocd it runs you down......

Old 09-22-2005, 11:34 PM   #7
(female)

keepsmilin2 HB User

Exhaustion - I can totally relate, although I might be slightly different. It exhausts me so much that I delay going to bed, because my night time routine takes me about 20-30 minutes to wash my face, brush my teeth, etc. and check before I go to bed so I just delay it because I'm not ready for the stress... The worst part of it is I lose sleep because I keep going to bed later and getting up at the same time each day, and when I wake up I think of the vicious cycle I have ahead of me so it's hard to get out of bed! I know I'm making progress in the long run, its just taking a lot of time!

Old 09-23-2005, 10:53 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

bkm4673 HB User

keep smilin do u take meds? i feel the same as u alot ............

Old 09-25-2005, 07:49 PM   #9
(female)

keepsmilin2 HB User

bkm2673... Yes I do take meds, it's helped a lot in other ways with other symptoms but the exhaustion takes its toll... It's nice to know people feel the same way, as hard as it is to say because I don't wish it on anyone... what kind of exhaustion do you have?

Old 09-25-2005, 09:43 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

bkm4673 HB User

well keepsmilin my exhaustion is more mental but it slows me down physically too. i do excersize 4 days a week at the gym so that helps me feel a little better im a 32 yr old single fairly attractive male and i just hope my ocd doesnt ruin a relationship that i may get in one day. does your ocd ruin your relationships with the opposite sex?

Old 09-26-2005, 07:47 PM   #11
(female)

keepsmilin2 HB User

It effects my relationships quite a bit because I've always been really cautious and careful... since my ocd has gotten worse its been difficult because I second guess EVERYTHING which means I dont trust people right away and always question everything about them and the situation. I find that as soon as I trust someone it's too late because they've given up and moved on... I don't look for relationships anymore because I dont want to force anything, I just want to be happy... As far as it ruining relationships, it hasn't ruined any I've had before, I've told my best friend, who is of the opposite sex and he's very supportive because he knows someone that has it...

Old 09-27-2005, 02:34 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

bkm4673 HB User

keepsmilin u said a smart thing u just want to be appy and thats what matter because just focus on u now and someone special should come into your life someday. by the way im starting my lexapro tonight. since youve started celexa r your ocd probs less? my guy friends have joked with me about my ocd but theyve always liked me for me besides the ocd problems........just curious to bas if u stopped the celexa do u think u would be feeling likeu were before again? thxs Brandon

Last edited by bkm4673; 09-27-2005 at 04:21 PM.

Old 09-29-2005, 11:48 PM   #13
(female)

keepsmilin2 HB User

bkm4673... Thanks for the comment on being happy, it's very true! Everyone should try to do things that make them happy. As far as medication goes, I have really found a difference since taking them. My OCD symptoms have decreased so much, I still have difficulty, but I know I'm getting better. Basically the medication has reduced the anxiety so I dont obsess about things as much. I know it will take work but I hope I'm on the right track and am happy about my choice to take the medication.. I will warn you though, it took a long time before they started kicking in so be patient.

Old 09-30-2005, 10:34 AM   #14
Veteran
(male)

bkm4673 HB User

thx for the advice keepsmiling i appreciate it and its good to hear it helps with your anxity too. lexapro and celexa are almost the same drug.........

Old 11-24-2005, 05:38 PM   #15
(male)

TakeThatOCD HB User

Yes, OCD is just pure exhaustion for me. I take Omega-3 and it helps calm the mind a little but it doesn't help cure the exhaustion. The thinking and rethinking has effected not only my concentration but also my memory as well. It is hard for me in the morning because all I want to do is sleep in when it is time to get up. I'm not talking about sleeping in, I'm talking about my brain just needing a rest due to mental exhaustion. All I want to do is sleep. Even during the day I get so tired that I just want to go home from work and sleep. This happens after I get through with an OCD episode or compulsions. I am so tired afterward I just want to sleep. On my days off I ususally do not want to go out. I just want to nap and get some rest. When I start going through compulsions I ususally go and lay down when I am at home. I find it helps because when I am well rested I find that the compulsions while still there are managable. Rest certainly helps. While most people look forward to the end of the week to go out, I look forward to it because I know that I can sleep. OCD is purely mentally exhausting.

Closed Thread