It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2005, 10:53 PM   #1
(female)

patrickstarr82 HB User
Obsession with letters/numbers

Hi, I was just wondering if nayone else had obsessions with numbers and letters. i constantly rearrange letters in my head. I also count out numbers. I will ask a question like, "Will my friend Call?' I will count each letter in that sentence and for even numbers it is good(yes) and odd bad(no). The numbers have gotten less intense but in its place has been letters. Is this too weird?????
Erica

Old 01-20-2005, 12:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kiehn HB User
Re: Obsession with letters/numbers

Hi Erica
When my bipolar med wasnt working to well, my intrusive thoughts got worse.
For some reason I was doing the number thing, but I could have just as easily
been doing what you are. It seems to be part of the OCD patern.

The more stable I felt on my meds the less frequent the thoughts were and
they came and when as quick as blinking my eyes. If you can talk to your doctor about what's going on, maybe there's a med that can help you. Take Care, K

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2005, 03:15 AM   #3
(female)

shellz HB User
Question Re: Obsession with letters/numbers

Hello

I can completely relate to what you are saying. My world revolves around numbers so most things are in multiples of 4 (even=good). For some reason though I have been doing things lately like... 1, 2, 3, 4 + 1, 2, 3. Its not 7, its 4+3. I know it sounds silly but thats what I do. I count letters in words too and sometimes if I hear someone say a word or hear on TV say something like 'passion', I have to say aloud 4 other words that mean the same as 'passion'! It doesnt happen with all words, just those words that for some reason pop out at you and urge you to follow on.

What number do you use most? I hear that most people do the number 4. I wonder why this is.

Shellz

Old 01-20-2005, 06:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Thumbs down Re: Obsession with letters/numbers

I really should get around to throwing out my stupid digital clock. At night I can't fall asleep because I constantly add up the digits on the clock and divide them by the total number of digits (3 or 4). If it divides evenly, it's "good", and if it doesn't, it's "bad".
But then if I throw out my clock I'll be constantly wondering what time it is since I can't monitor it without the clock, and I also kind of need to monitor how my sleeping habits are...
Kristina

Old 01-20-2005, 06:50 AM   #5
(male)

dgold HB User

Wierd.. no!!!!!!!!!!!! Everybody here has wierd obcessions and nothing sounds wierd or strange to me. NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!

I would recommend you try to divert attention by being active like reading when the OCD flares up. Also you might want to consider MEDS or contact the OCD foundation for a Behavoral ERP psychologist.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:26 AM   #6
(female)

patrickstarr82 HB User

Hey, in reply to Kristan......I actually do the whole clock thing too. Like i'll ask myself a question when im trying to sleep or in the car and if the last number is even it is good if odd it is bad and if the numbers add up to an even it is maybe but if they add up to an odd it is definelty no. like 4:50 would be 9(4+5+0=0) so it is definetly no. It is weird. I dont have a particular number I use just realoly counting and even is good and odd bad. i dont know why it is weird the brain works sometimes.

Old 01-20-2005, 10:08 AM   #7
(female)

shellz HB User
Question Re: Obsession with letters/numbers

This particular thread forum is really weird I agree, but like everyone here I can completely understand. Its strange that the brain has a fasination with even symmetrical numbers, considering odd numbers to be bad. Is this true for everyone? Does everyone do things in multiples of 4 (or an even number)? I sometimes go 1,2,3,4 + 1,2,3 but in my brain that doesnt equate to 7, that is 4+3. 3 is an odd number but in this case if I end on a 3 I can start what I intended to do on a 4, if that makes sense! Its like starting a running race after the count of 3. One, Two, Three GO (go is 4).

Closed Thread