It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2005, 12:48 PM   #1
(male)

mdguy HB User
sudden onset OCD

Hello all. I've been trying to figure out what could possibly be wrong with me. Most of the symptoms I'm having are physical. For example, sinus problems that won't seem to go away, headaches, facial numbness (not paralysis) on one side of my head, fatigue (but not depression), and just a general felling of not wanting to do anything.

The most troublesome of my symptoms is what feels like a sudden onset of OCD-like symptoms, i.e. thoughts that won't go away, but I know they're just thoughts. I also had a quite severe (to me, anyway) anxiety attack when I was eating dinner the other night, which pretty much threw my appetite out the window. I've got no history of mental illness other than a small bout with depression a few years back, which went away with some lifestyle changes and just having someone to talk to (no meds).

I've been racking my brain -- no pun intended -- trying to think back to when I was younger (I'm 31 now). In my limited research, it seems like OCD is something that develops gradually over a period of time, and usually shows up in the teens and 20's; except in somthing, I think it was called PANDAS, which usually develops even earlier that ocd. I can't think of any time where I've been obsessive or compulsive about anything. Of course I've got my stupid little habits, like everyone else does, but not to the extent that if/when they are broken it would cause me anxiety.

So far, my doc has checked my thyriod levels, and has put me on something for my T3, which was a little low but still in the range of being okay, and I go for an MRI tomorrow.

Sorry for the rant, but I would appreciate any input or suggestions you all may have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2005, 04:11 AM   #2
(male)

dgold HB User
Re: sudden onset OCD

well. I am no expert but the key if this is OCD is this. Do you ritualize . Do you engage in certain behavors to lower your anxiety levels. This is called ritualizing. For example, you have obsessions that you left your house unlock. So you constantly check numerous times to lower the anxiety. Because if you do not check the anxiety shoots up.
A little OCD is common is alot of people the question is whether this OCD is controlling your life and quality of life. You might have some kind of paniac or anxiety disorder rather than OCD.

Old 02-12-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
(male)

mdguy HB User
Re: sudden onset OCD

Well, hmmm. I guess I do. For example a thought will pop into my head of something I would never ever do, like hurt someone for example. And I just tell myself over and over again that I would never do that. If that counts as ritualizing, then yes. I don't think it's schizophrenia because I don't have delusions or see or hear things that aren't there, and I'm not separated from reality.

What really concerns me is the sudden onset of the thoughts. Like I mentioned, I don't have any history of severe mental illness, and I can't remember anytime when I was younger having obsessive or compulsive tendencies.

I'm in the process of ruling out physical conditions. . . thyroid disorder, lyme, before I go to someone to figure out if this is actaully psychological.

Thanks for the help.

Closed Thread