It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2005, 11:48 AM   #1
(female)

Wolfareen HB User
Unhappy I don't know if I believe it

I went to the doctors and told him all the things I do ie, touching things with both hands or left then right, having to step down with my right foot, step up with my right, straightening etc and he told me I have OCD. The only thing is, I don't know if I believe him. I mean, I don't think he's lying but I feel somehow as if I'm faking or lying or something.
The other thing is, I don't know how to tell my best mate. She's got it too and you might think that would make it easier but it doesn't. I've already lied to her about it because I said the appointment was for something else and I feel like she'll either think I'm copying her or she won't believe me or think I'm taking the mickey or something. She's noticed I use both hands for things like my mobile and she asked what I was doing but I just said, I didn't know, I was weird or something like that. Can someone help? Please, please, pretty pretty please?

Old 03-30-2005, 11:51 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Rark HB User
Re: I don't know if I believe it

I'm not sure why anyone would want to COPY OCD It's terribly annoying. I'm sure your friend will be more understanding than most. Just be sure to explain to her how you felt embarassed about it all for some strange reason--maybe even mention the fear of being seen as copying! It might be good for a bit of laugh.

Anyways, it certainly sounds like OCD to me. Perhaps it's not as major as certain people's, but it seems to be the case. Be happy you caught it when it's not so bad.

Good luck and sorry if I wasn't helpful

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2005, 02:56 AM   #3
(male)

knowone HB User
Re: I don't know if I believe it

Hi, I'm new to this board, as you can see, it's my first post.

However, I've been living with OCD for about 20 years, and have been getting treatment for the past year.

A common part of OCD is doubting, worry, and rumination.
The doubt is what keeps things swirling in your head. You feel unsure of things, and therefore ruminate and worry in an attempt to make some sense of it all.

It is very common for someone with OCD to go through periods in which they feel like they're "all better", periods in which you think it will never get better, and due to doubt you also have periods in which you feel like a fraud, or that you don't really have an illness, that you may just be "a worry wart" or "a neat freak".

These periods can last minutes, days, months......
I've literally had days where at 3:07pm I think I'm getting better, and at 3:09pm I may be convincing myself that I never had OCD at all.
Given another ten minutes, I may become painfully aware that my OCD is real because my brain starts swirling and it all starts over.

[ please do not post commercial websites ]

Wierd, I don't know what the asterisks are for, replace them with {if it's asterisked out, then it's not allowed} Remove the spaces between the letters.

I hope posting links is allowed; I don't think it's a commercial site and it certainly is relevant to this topic.

-k

[ do not post any kind of information to find a site not allowed to be posted here ]

[ please read and follow the posting rules - "How to share information" ]

Last edited by moderator2; 04-03-2005 at 12:25 AM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules - "How to share information"

Closed Thread