It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2005, 11:55 AM   #1
(male)

blownawish HB User
impulses to do inappropriate things? other ?s also

I am fairly positive I have OCD that has just recently developed. I have had anxiety all my life and a few months ago it started to transfer into what I believe to be OCD. this was along with extreme hypochondria. All of my major symptoms have been discussed on this board. they are:

1. paranoid something will be slipped into my food, be poisoned or get sick.
2. afraid I am a bad person, like a killer or rapist. thoughts of harming myself and family members that I love with all of my heart and would never touch. wonder if I might "snap" and act out on all this.
3. obsess about religion and philosophy all day. sometimes worry about evil and that it will try to get me.
4. say mean things about people in my head that I don't want to think

I also sometimes have impulses to do bizarre behavior, particularly in cases of great anxiety. like say I'll be up in class talking and this impulse will hit me to start masturbating. and there is no way I'd derive any pleasure from it, it'd just ease my anxiety and make me feel more "right". I would never do these things that I am compelled to do. another thing, for instance, is I had this urge to punch a guy in front of me for no reason. I absolutely hate these feelings and am the nicest person. I wish they'd just go away.

What is wierd is I am displaying these signs of OCD but I don't have any "compulsions". I'll repeat some stuff in my head to disguise the thought, but that is it.

what do you guys think? I was taking 40mg of prozac, and it does help some, but I am so tired I can't even function during the day. It's like it takes care of 40% of it, but the rest is still there. to top it off it makes me feel apathetic and less human. I am so depressed.

what should I do guys? I might switch to lexapro.

good example of the impulses: today in chemistry lab I had this impulse to drink the acid and dump some on my partner. and its not a strong impulse at all, just a tiny one that is enough to fill me with great anxiety.

Last edited by blownawish; 04-06-2005 at 11:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2005, 12:03 PM   #2
(male)

blownawish HB User
Re: impulses to do inappropriate things? other ?s also

my psychiatrist also has diagnosed me with severe depression, says all of this is a function of that. these symptoms of OCD popped up at the most troubling point of my life in terms of stress and anxiety....

I used to take zoloft like a year ago and that killed my sex drive but worked 10000 times better than prozac.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:19 PM   #3
(male)

NewFather HB User

Blownawish-
I completely understand where you are coming from, the inappropriate impulses are quite normal with OCD. I remember driving down the road with my dog in my lap and her head out the window, and my mind would think about pushing her out. I love this dog more than anything, and never would do that, but my mind kept bringing it up. Or I remember being in church and having the strongest urge to scream out.

As far as compulsions go, around 60% of people with OCD have no compulsions at all. I am not a medical doctor, but from what I've heard and read Your dosage seems very low for proper treatment of OCD, and other SSRI's like Zoloft have had more success.

Old 04-11-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
(female)

Hope71 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownawish
I am fairly positive I have OCD that has just recently developed. I have had anxiety all my life and a few months ago it started to transfer into what I believe to be OCD. this was along with extreme hypochondria. All of my major symptoms have been discussed on this board. they are:

1. paranoid something will be slipped into my food, be poisoned or get sick.
2. afraid I am a bad person, like a killer or rapist. thoughts of harming myself and family members that I love with all of my heart and would never touch. wonder if I might "snap" and act out on all this.
3. obsess about religion and philosophy all day. sometimes worry about evil and that it will try to get me.
4. say mean things about people in my head that I don't want to think

I also sometimes have impulses to do bizarre behavior, particularly in cases of great anxiety. like say I'll be up in class talking and this impulse will hit me to start masturbating. and there is no way I'd derive any pleasure from it, it'd just ease my anxiety and make me feel more "right". I would never do these things that I am compelled to do. another thing, for instance, is I had this urge to punch a guy in front of me for no reason. I absolutely hate these feelings and am the nicest person. I wish they'd just go away.

What is wierd is I am displaying these signs of OCD but I don't have any "compulsions". I'll repeat some stuff in my head to disguise the thought, but that is it.

what do you guys think? I was taking 40mg of prozac, and it does help some, but I am so tired I can't even function during the day. It's like it takes care of 40% of it, but the rest is still there. to top it off it makes me feel apathetic and less human. I am so depressed.

what should I do guys? I might switch to lexapro.

good example of the impulses: today in chemistry lab I had this impulse to drink the acid and dump some on my partner. and its not a strong impulse at all, just a tiny one that is enough to fill me with great anxiety.
You just described my son he is 14. It is tough but the lab thing sounded just like something he would stuggle with. I will pray for you as I do him and all others suffering from this on a daily basis. Stay strong and if I can help I'm here.

Hope

Old 04-11-2005, 08:21 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Hi Blownafish,

I knew someone else on the Net that tried Lexapro and apparently did very well with it. The only thing is that they complained of extreme tiredness. My son here takes (Anafranil) Clomipramine and he has done very well with it. I mean really well. Suposably there is more side affects with Comipramine but with him, we never really noticed anything but a racing heartbeat that only lasted a few days or so on and off and then stopped.

Yes, I know, these types of thoughts can be surely hard for you. Have you tried to turn them into something humorous? In the course we have here this is what they teach as therapy.

Old 04-12-2005, 04:59 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

princess72 HB User

I was recently diagnosed with OCD and bipolar. I have been depressed my entire life...............im 33. First of all, anti depressants effect everyone different! I've been on EVERYTHING and nothing helped me, made me feel worse, and i had major side effects. Ive been put on Lamictal for these 2 disorders. it takes 5-6 weeks for Lamictal to kick in, but i've heard it is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We will see. I know what you mean about these thoughts. Drive me crazy..........and all day long! I have very bizaar thinking as well, and i can so relate to you all! I cannot calm my head down! I hope this med works for me, i have been suffering for way too long, and thinking i was "just depressed". Also, are you seeing a phyciatrist for your meds? or a family doc? I really think that makes a difference too. Take Care.

Old 04-12-2005, 10:35 PM   #7
(female)

Ellecram HB User

Oh my yes - I have to testify in court as part of my work and I sometimes get these unexpected and strong desires to scream obscenities at the Judge! Or testify in another made up language and act all crazy...so far I have not done any of these things!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2005, 06:00 AM   #8

jas1980 HB User

I have thoughts that someone is going to put something in my food/drink all the time. It's always acid though, for some reason. I know that is never going to happen, but I still never let people take my plate or drink away from me.
I worry about many other things as well. It's tiring to spend you days like this.

Closed Thread