It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2005, 05:57 PM   #1
(female)

sweetpea333 HB User
can't stop looking in the mirror

i was diagnosed with severe ocd 5 years ago but have been suffering for 14 years, lately i haven't wanted to leave the house because i am obsessed with my appearance, when i go for a nite out i have to go to look in the mirror about every 15 minutes and i have a hard time leaving the mirror and i cant stop brushing my hair and fixing my makeup, this makes me very depressed and i just dont feel like i look good enough, i know it sounds superficial, but i cant help it i think about it all the time and cant stop the obsession and compulsions, i'm pregnant now and i feel really ugly and practically fear leaving the house. any advice, can anyone relate?

The following user gives a hug of support to sweetpea333:
Leonsmith (02-01-2012)
Old 04-15-2005, 07:13 PM   #2
(male)

saltedpork HB User
Re: can't stop looking in the mirror

It sounds like you have body dismorphic disorder

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2005, 08:34 AM   #3
(female)

cardani HB User

i do the same thing, most of the time i dont even bother to tell my parents ive been invited out, because i never make it. all the times ive prepared just to be unhappy. my parents never understand they just see me trying to get ready and walking around the house looking at myself in every mirror trying to find if i look uglier in certain lights. they think im antisocial because i never do anything. just know that people are never embarrased to be seen with you, as if they were they too would stay home and ive been told by millions of people that they arent. i hope this gets easier for us, and know you are not alone i know of others also. BDD is tough when u have ocd too. you should be so proud to be pregnant! i always admire mothers-to-be no matter how they present themselves! its the beauty in life that are flaws

The Following User Says Thank You to cardani For This Useful Post:
Leonsmith (02-01-2012)
Old 02-13-2006, 06:32 AM   #4
(female)

Mrs Loc Dog HB User

i can sympathise i am 18, i go to a beauty therapy college and work in a beauty shop where mirrors surround you. When i'm at home i always look in the the mirror subconscienely, but lately i've realised that i can't stop checking out what i look like from every angle, or i look right up close in to the mirror and see imperfections that the average person probably can't even see. i also think i am quite antisocial i am a v. friendly person and everyone gets on with me but if i'm invited somewhere i have to look my very best. it just gets me down i used to enjoy getting ready to go out but now its just a hassle. so i find that i'm just at home all the time now, my mums taken some mirors out of my room today because she's noticed i look in them ALL the time. i actually think getting out of the house would be the best therapy for anyone with this problem, doing something else to take your mind off of the subject. Only problem is i'd probably never get round to going out

The following user gives a hug of support to Mrs Loc Dog:
Leonsmith (02-01-2012)
Old 02-13-2006, 07:01 AM   #5
(male)

son1981 HB User

hey i just wanted to say it feels good not to be alone in this as i suffer from this big time! I am always invited out yet i never go out unless i think i look amazing. Its some weird thing about always wanting to look the best get the most attention etc... I am on 80 of prozac and exercise work out reg so that does help but i still dread avoid leaving the house its so crazy and i think you guys are the only ones who could understand it! My medication and exercise stop the depression and the anxious feeling u get and help me forget about my imperfections. I think CBT can help us big time.

FOr example we gota realize that no one is perfect and as much as wed like to be the more we worry about it the further off we are to becomming it. I say best thing is to change lifestyle eat more health exercise take ur meds and work up the courage to get ready and FORCE yourself out the door next time someone invites u! For me its kinda sad because ive been invited out so many damn times that i think people just kinda gave up asking me out or forget. I am tryinjg to start all over next time someone asks me out as long as its not today LOL I promised that i will do my best to make it!

I am hoping the more we do this the better this problem will become. Like you guys it seems like such a pain to go out and so much easier staying home in the comfort of hour home and computer where no one can see us. But the really sad thing is i think if we keep it up we will end up being very loanly

The type of cbt distorted thoughts related to this are

All or nothing- we think just cause we are not PERFECT we should not present ourselves to society.

Discontinuing the posative- I am a very attractive person get a decent amount of attention yet i am totally dismissing it and not wanting to leave because im not perfect.

Last thing is i use to depend on drinking most of my life to help me in social situations well that did NOTHING but turn me into an alcholic so now i am going to try it with NO booze. I have to admit tho deep down inside im hoping no one asks me out for a while so i have more time to prepare lol

im 24 years old btw

Last edited by son1981; 02-13-2006 at 07:02 AM.

Old 02-13-2006, 07:04 AM   #6
(male)

son1981 HB User

PS doesnt it drive you INSANE how in some mirrors we look amazing yet some we dont look so great? The concept of that is what i have most trouble dealing with!

The Following User Says Thank You to son1981 For This Useful Post:
Leonsmith (02-01-2012)
Old 02-13-2006, 09:40 AM   #7
(male)

dgold HB User

sweetpea.... I suffer from OCD too just a different form.
are you taking meds or seeing an ERP behavoral doc.
IT seems that the problem has gotten so bad you may want to cover up the mirrors so you cant look as easy. Maybe tape cardboard around them or something to block them out for along time. Your brain is so reinforced now it would be very hard to just stop cold turkey. Also when you start feeling the urge to look in the mirror you need to immediately leave the house for a few hours. Just take off before the urge becomes to strong. I know its tough being pregnant but try to avoid the house as much as possible. By covering up the mirros may help you resist sudden urges but it wont totally solve the problem. It may lessen it.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:37 AM   #8
(female)

daftthing HB User

I can relate and understand how soul destroying it can feel.

The Following User Says Thank You to daftthing For This Useful Post:
Leonsmith (02-01-2012)
Closed Thread