It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2005, 10:07 AM   #1
(male)

mikeb HB User
Repetitive sounds - irritating - OCD?

Could this be related to OCD?

Why do certain "repetitive sounds" drive us to rage?

Why are certain sounds so irritating? Barking dogs, crying babies, dripping water, finger nails on a blackboard, incessive whistling, snoring ect.
Certain, repetitive sounds, bug the hell out of me! For example, barking dogs don't bother me at all, except this one dog. It's bark is extremely annoying. I love the sound of birds in the backyard, except this one type that is very repetitive. All snoring or heavy breathing bugs me. If you insist on whistling around me, good bye. The sound of people eating with open mouth... or chewing gum! It seems to be the rhythm more than the sound itself.

Do repetitive sounds irritate anyone else as much as they do I?

Is there a name for this condition? I only know to call it, being "thinned skinned". Its like these noises go to the front of the minds focus and remain there until we can get away from them or they stop on their own. But until they stop, they are the main focus of the mind, which interfers with all other thought.

If you suffer, like I, how do you deal with it? If your advice, is, "just ignore it", ... how? Are there mental techniques that people use to overcome this, that enable them to block out these sounds?

Thanks.

Old 05-26-2005, 10:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BostonGirl44 HB User
Re: Repetitive sounds - irritating - OCD?

As soon as I saw you mention people chewing with their mouths open or chewing gum, you got me. Stuff like that drives me crazy and I always assumed it was part of my ocd. I don't know anyone else who this bothers, except my sister, and she doesn't have ocd. So I'm not really sure where this falls in. I've tried ignoring the sounds that bothers me, but like you said, you just focus in on it until it's just completely overwhelming. I usually excuse myself from a situation where stuff like this is going on. My former best friend...I don't think I've seen her without a piece of gum in her mouth and she's nasty about it. I'd always ask her to please close her mouth and she never did because she said it didn't bother her. Anyway, we aren't friends anymore (not because of that lol), so that's one way to avoid the situation. Anyway, if anyone knows of any ways to not focus so much on these repetitive sounds, I'd love to know the answer too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2005, 09:48 AM   #3
(male)

fisher13 HB User

I'm with you on the repetitive sounds. The chewing with the mouth open kills me. I focus on it to the point where I'm waiting for the next open mouth crunch. It doesn't matter who it is, stranger, family, anyone, it bothers me terribly and isn't able to be ignored.
Same with ceiling fans that "click" repetitively, dripping faucets, etc. I also have to move a ticking clock out of my hearing range if I want to stay sane. Even at other people's houses I've taken clocks away to another room and hidden them so I could sleep.
I was just thinking of these noise problems today and wondering if they were part of OCD.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:38 PM   #4
(female)

nevaeh HB User

i agree with all of your thoughts. i find myself listening for sounds that i know irritate me. i avoided the family dinner table in high school and now avoid eating certain foods with my boyfriend in the living room. i find my whole thought process is filled with "should i tell him he is eating loud?" or "i've got to leave" then it is soon followed with "i am crazy. look at me." i have been told that it is OCD (i am a very organized person) but this is my only symptom. i remember when smacking gum was cool, but i also remember the day i told my sister to stop. any of your tips/suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 08-25-2005, 04:20 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Punkdizzle HB User

i dont think this is really OCD related.. i know lots of people that dont have OCD and get annoyed by many of the things you mentioned..
its kind of hard for anyone to stop listening to an annoying sound once they hear it.. though i do think OCD-ers have a harder time with it..

Old 08-25-2005, 02:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User

to mikeb
I think your problems are more being oversensitive to stimulation than OCD, anxiety sufferers are often oversensitive to sounds or smells, earplugs can help

lerarning to relax and calm yourself will help you to ignore these problems

Old 08-25-2005, 08:26 PM   #7
(female)

Amberay HB User

I remember one sound in school that would bug the h*** out of me. The sound of someone tapping on their desk, or tapping their feet on the floor! Back then I didn't have to say anything, someone would beat me to it. I also hate, I repeat, HATE the sound of someone grinding their teeth! I had a friend that would do it in her sleep, and my daughter use to do it. Clocks ticking, cealing fans ticking, when my daughter pushes a noisy toy over and over, open mouth eating, dogs barking, you name it! I've never looked at it as being OCD related, just noises that bug me.

Old 08-26-2005, 09:56 AM   #8
(female)

nevaeh HB User

you are exactly right.. the only thing that relates to OCD for me is avoidance.. if i don't avoid/leave the situation i lose it. most people can let their mind wander when listening to annoying sounds, i can't.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:16 AM   #9
(male)

DaySleeper27 HB User

The sounds of lightbulbs dimmed, the sound of a blank tv in a room, the sound of nails on a chalkboard, the sound of tapping fingers, sandals/flipflops dragging the floor, somebody snoring,these make me annoyed... theme song from Indiana Jones actually makes me sick to my stomach.. But I just have ears that can hear so many sounds... traumatic childhood for indiana jones.. the others are just the fact I have highly sensitive hearing ability, most likely do to my horrible eyesight

Closed Thread