It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2005, 03:47 PM   #1

sportsgrl HB User
Anyone w/ Religious OCD question going to Church?

I have religious ocd (intrusive thoughts) and battle with myself about whether I should/should not go to church. I end up going, but feel like a Jekyl and Hyde having these horrible thoughts all week and then going to church on the weekend. Anyone seek religious counsel for their ocd?

Old 05-30-2005, 04:10 PM   #2
(female)

P00hbear HB User
Re: Anyone w/ Religious OCD question going to Church?

Hi, it would seem to me that if you desire to go to church, you should go. God does not discrimate just because you have these thoughts during the week, He still loves you. I do not have OCD, but we all have thoughts and even actions that are not pure because that is how we are made. If everyone who had an impure thought or did something wrong did not go to church, I doubt we would have churches. Do not be too hard on yourself over this, it sounds like you are aware of the problem and you want to go to church so I think that you should definitely go! Religious counsel may work also, but until you find the solution, you should not deprive yourself or God of your presence at church.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2005, 08:00 PM   #3
(male)

TakeThatOCD HB User

I suffer too from this dreaded problem. The term for Religous OCD is what is known as Scupulosity. My advice for you is too continue going to church and don't let OCD win. I suffered through church on Sunday with awful thoughts about god also. But I made it through. Just remember God loves you no matter what. He has no limits. No matter how bad the thoughts are. I know this is very hard when you go into OCD mode because it seems so real. I have some very terrible days where I actually have the thoughts about the Devil being my lord and savior which is so ridiculous it isn't funny. About demons carrying me away. Like I said they are so ridicoulous but I feel so guilty having them. Sometimes I have them just so I can call the thought ridicoulous and debate it for hours. I don't enjoy it but this is a compulsion to have the thought so I can debate it, attack it, call it untrue, undue it, you name it. There isn't any truth to it but OCD tries to convince me it is. I mean if you really think about it. I could have these thoughts all day long and on purpose for that matter but the thoughts alone don't mean anything. It has nothing to do with your faith. Most people who don't have OCD can dismiss these easily. They could have it 100 times a day and it would mean nothing to them. But for those of us suffering with OCD it means everything. It's just our makeup I guess. I don't subscribe or support these thoughts I have and I never will but it seems so real at times. OCD attacks the things that are important to us. I have been told over and over again to let the thoughts be there. I know this is true because if I resist them it only makes the thought stronger. I haven't mastered the technique yet. I have told my my theropist that god will know these thoughts and he says yes he will but god would also understand what OCD is. So that is something I try to remember. I am new to this disease and I have read certain books about this problem. I continue to be open to other material as well regarding this problem but some books I have read are The doubting disease by Joseph W. Ciarrocchi who wrote a book about Scrupulisity and religous compulsions. I haven't completed it yet but it's a good read. The Imp of the Mind by Lee Baer is another. This problem for me is very hard and I hate OCD. I have good and bad days. The last few days have been hard ones. It seems just when you think you have OCD beat it comes up with a new twist to trip you up. I guess it's just the nature of this cruel disorder. Remember God does love you. He understands what OCD is. He won't reject you for having the thoughts. Remember you don't subscibe or support the thoughts. It's OCD doing it. I know this is very hard because I have to constantly remind myself this and be picked up as well. It is good we can come here on this board and provide support for one another. This board has been a godsend for me because of it. If I run across any other useful material I will try an post it here.

Old 06-12-2005, 06:53 PM   #4
(female)

dwightbean HB User

i dunno. i haven't gone to church, or prayed, in years.

i'm hoping i'll be able to do this over the next few months, however. i'll see.

Old 06-13-2005, 09:29 AM   #5
Veteran

fm5 HB User

I think you should continue to go to church despite your o.c.d. thoughts.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:51 AM   #6
(female)

dwightbean HB User

shrugs. me first, really.

Old 06-14-2005, 04:42 PM   #7
(female)

simplyj HB User

I don't have the religious type of OCD but my latest fear is that it will start to develop. I've been battling OCD for the last 14 years of my life and when it would get to it's worse, the only thing I could turn to was the bible and it managed to help me through. Last week was a really bad OCD week for me and I could not stop crying. Life just seemed too much for me and when I spoke to my mom about it (as I always do) she told me yet again as she has told me over the years, to read the bible and surrender my life to God. I cried as hard as I've ever cried and just surrendered, asking him to help me through this and I feel that slowly he is. My suggestion to you is to not stop going to church. Don't allow OCD to take that away. I feel so bad inside because of the thoughts that come as a result of my OCD but I am searching for acceptance from GOD. I don't attend a church but I read the bible now as I mentioned and I try to watch Christian programs on TV when I can.
I hope you get better soon and keep strong in your faith.

All the best,
Simplyj

Old 06-26-2005, 11:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I do, and the way that I make up for my OCD throughout the week is during the time when the minister says that we are to confess our sins in silence to God and our neighbors. Then, I always include "forgive me for having blasphemous obsessions, which though they are beyond my control, are still sinful." That makes me feel better, like I'm clean and renewed.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread