It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
(female)

takeaguess18 HB User
Unhappy Can't Stop Counting

Ever since I was a kid I've used counting/memory games/mental list-making to take myself out of traumatic and abusive situations. But the last few months its gone haywire. I cant stop counting things, and making lists. Every time I feel a little stressed or upset or bad my brain starts listing, for example, states and capitals in alphabetical order. If I get one wrong I have to start all over again, and I can spend hours of my day doing things like this in my head, which makes me feel worse, and makes the counting worse.

I feel like I'm losing my mind and I'm too ashamed to tell my psychiatrist. I think he's starting to cotton on because the other morning I was so engrossed in counting the ceiling tiles in his waiting room I didnt hear him for a few minutes when he spoke to me. I outright denied doing it when he asked about it. I'm so afraid and I have no idea what to do. I dont even go out anymore because counting my steps is so hard.

Can medication makes this stop? I'm on Remeron right now, and actually started it right around when this got suddenly worse, can an AD do that? Before that I was on Zoloft but that didnt help my depression.

The Following User Says Thank You to takeaguess18 For This Useful Post:
max1000 (06-23-2012)
Old 06-09-2005, 01:00 PM   #2
(female)

cardani HB User
Re: Can't Stop Counting

you arent losing your mind your obsession is just winning. i used to count but then i went off paxil and on remeron and effexor and olanzapine and i dunno i just gave up on counting its so stressful, im bad at math like counting too so it would take so much time and i always knew id made a mistake and hated myself for it. i used to count words that i typed and everything had to be even but thats ok now, sometimes ill check the number when im done and make one or two changes but its not like before. i know remeron didnt help with my ocd, just depression and i went off it when my depression went away. i find risperdal helps with mental obsessions or zyprexa but it made me fat. your thinking isnt psychotic it just seems that way, we are hopefully just neurotic. im happy you have a good doctor, good luck i felt back cause no one had replied

The Following User Says Thank You to cardani For This Useful Post:
max1000 (06-23-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread