It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2005, 02:25 AM   #1
(female)

Gwenneth HB User
Question I think my OCD is coming back. What do I do?

I have had mild OCD all my life. It runs in the family. When I was nine I asked my mom why everyone always wanted me to have her check my Holloween candy. She told me it was because twenty years before someone had poisend a bunch of kids. I don't know were. It was cold and I was sick. On the way home I ate some french fries that were in the car from erlyer. They made me feel gross. It triggered my OCD. I didn't eat french fries for a year and a half. I didn't have candy for two. I was afriad everything I ate was poisend. I stoped eating unless my mom tried it first. At nine I was tall and 105 pounds.I droped to 87 during around a year and a half. Then we were on a trip and we had a minor car accsedent. It shocked me so much I actuley ate food. With out someone else testing it. About a week later I realized that I didn't want to be like that anymore so I got meds. My mom had been trying to get me to take them. They worked the first day. After about a year I think I was able to quit them. I could control it on my own. Not long after my grandmother passed away. Yesterday marked two years. I am know really depressed and am having a hard time controling it. The food thing isn't back but it's something else. I have been having bad dreames every night. And know I barly sleep. Am I obsessed about the dreams? or is it some kind of anxiety? Or am I just depressed? Can anyone help?

Old 06-08-2005, 02:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kathrin74 HB User
Re: I think my OCD is coming back. What do I do?

Do you FEEL you are obsessing about the dreams?

It is hard to tell from knowing so little if it is OCD-related or some other type of anxiety, or depression. OCD usually feels like... well, you obsess about something but at the same time it also feels like you "have to" do something to stop the anxiety - like checking, or even just a mental compulsion to try to stop the thoughts... does it feel like that?

How long have the bad dreams been going on?

Kathrin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2005, 05:50 AM   #3
(female)

Gwenneth HB User

Like a week. I donno I'm just scared to sleep. Maybe it's Not the OCD. I sleep but I sleep during the day. It's like I afraid to sleep at night. What Does that sound like?

Old 06-08-2005, 08:43 AM   #4
(female)

sobs HB User

Hi Gwenneth,
I can't tell either, whether it is OCD, or just anxiety, because you had several nights of bad dreams. Have you tried playing some soft music that you enjoy, while you are sleeping? This would also be a wonderful time for you to check into "lucid dreaming". That is when you can make yourself wake up when you are having a dream that you don't like. You can do a search just on "lucid dreaming".
Also, if you can do something really peaceful to you, before you go to sleep...that may help you. Or watch part of a favorite movie, before you sleep. There are many things that you can do, to help you with your dreams! Let us know how you are doing.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:56 AM   #5
(female)

Gwenneth HB User

Well I have been trying the movie thing. I've been watching my favotit Harry Potter movie. The prolbem is I can't remember the dreams. I just know they are bad when I wake up. Thanks for the tip I'll have a look at that.

Old 06-08-2005, 12:12 PM   #6
(female)

Gwenneth HB User

Wow. I found a web site on the dreaming. I also found this.

Stopping Nightmares

Most of us look forward to sleep because it is a very peaceful time and allows us to unwind and forget, for a short while, the endless unrest of our waking lives. Some people, however, dread falling asleep because they are plagued by incessant nightmares. Lucid dreaming can play a very important role in alleviating the fear of nightmares.

Wow. That is just about it. Almost exactly. The only reason I think this is somewhat OCD related is because I am obsessed with wasting time. Which is stupid since I could be doing better things with my life then watching tv in my spare time but I have gotten it into my head that sleep is a waste of time.

"if the average person spends 7 hours a day sleeping, and lives an average life of about 75 years, then he or she has slept nearly 1/3 (22 years) of his or her life away."

See? I seem to think that sleep wasts time. I've had this problem for a while but I'm more worried about the nightmares. It's interesting too what it says about Lucid dreaming. I'm almost always awear that I'm dreaming and I usaly remember at least half of my dreams most nights. But I have only been able to controll it once. Thank you very much. My mom mentioned it a while ago but I had forgotten. Thank you again. It sounds like it will help alot. I will let you know what happens.

Old 06-10-2005, 11:48 AM   #7
(female)

sobs HB User

Gwenneth.........I completely understand the feeling of "wasting time" while you are sleeping. I've always said that I would love to NEVER have to sleep!!!

I rarely have what I would call nightmares. But, I do have some dreams that are disturbing. After my mom died, I kept dreaming about her being in the casket, and only I knew she was alive ---- which I DO know was her way of telling me she IS still alive. But, in the dreams, I kept trying to make people realize that she wasn't dead. So, I had to program myself, that if I started dreaming about my mom this way, that I would wake up. I think lucid dreaming is so kewl !!!!!

Do you ever dream about movies or tv show characters.........like, a lot of time after I have watched a few of my Star Trek tapes, I will dream that I am a crew member on the Enterprise. That is just one instance. I have done that a lot, all of my life. I was just mentioning this, because, I thought my first time that I had a lucid dream was really kewl, and that is how I discovered lucid dreaming. I rarely watch horror movies, but I think it was Friday the 13th..........is that the one where the kids can't go to sleep, or Freddy will get them????? I watched it, because someone had told me that it was about sleeping and dreams. Anyway, one of the kids went to sleep and kept
telling herself to wake up (in her dream or Freddy nightmare). That night is when I dreamed that Freddy was after me, and I told myself to wake up, and I did. I thought it was sooooo far out!!!!!!!!! That's how it started happening to me. I certainly wouldn't suggest that you watch a horror movie.........ahhh...I think that was Nightmare on Elm Street, not the other one.....since you already have nightmares, but that is just what happened for me.

Let me know how you are doing!!!!! Think good thoughts!!!!!!

Old 06-11-2005, 07:49 AM   #8
(female)

Gwenneth HB User

Oh yeah. I went to see star wars three times. big mistake. thats what basicly started this. but the lats two nights i didn't wake uo once and had frarly ok dreams.

Tv sometimes. for a while i was having dreams about a guy i have a crush on but not anymore. thouse were cool dreams.

I'm doing alot better thank you so much.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:08 AM   #9
(female)

sobs HB User

Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread