It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2005, 11:54 PM   #1
(male)

lakeview HB User
OCD and bowel syndrome?

Since I was in junior high or so I've always been worried about bathrooms. It's not the fact that I'm afraid to go, but its the fact that I HAVE to go.

Everyday I'm worried about driving through traffic, going to school, going out with friends cause I feel like there wouldn't be an access to a bathroom that I'll have to go #2 in. I know it kind of sounds messed up and funny sometimes cause you really don't need to go that often but I constantly sometimes feel the urge to go and have anxiety/panic attacks. The thing that I'm not sure if its actually a OCD or maybe both is the fact that most of the times I go, I really do have to go.

I have a pretty good life, and I'm pretty active but this fear/obsession bothers me so much. Whenever I go out - I have to check out the traffic news (so I'm not stuck in traffic when I have to go), scope out the bathrooms to places I want to go , go to the bathroom several times before I do something. However I feel perfectly fine when I'm not in such situations. When I'm at home I never really ahve these feelings cause I feel like I can access the bathroom whenever I want. Places like the library, shopping malls, I feel fine since they have restrooms there.

I'm not really sure what to do or who to talk to. My parents often get upset at me since I always have to go to the bathroom and my girlfriend goes crazy sometimes too. I've taken Zoloft and Xanax in the past but I don't remember it helping me at all.

I have other small compulsions too and little ticks like blinking and making small noises. But i feel like the bowel movement is the biggest problem and want to get it treat as soon as possible. Its been happening to me for the last 6 years and I feel like I should finally get professional help.

Last edited by lakeview; 08-08-2005 at 11:55 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2005, 09:52 AM   #2
(female)

jen_thomson HB User
Re: OCD and bowel syndrome?

My doctor told me that it is not uncommon for people with OCD and/or anxiety disorders to suffer from IBS. I also worry about bathrooms- but for different reasons...I have "cootie" issues- so public restrooms are not for me...but, because of the IBS, well...you get the idea! My doctor gave me a great medication that I take when I feel an "episode" coming on...works almost instantly, thank goodness! Eliminates the need for public bathrooms! I figure, if you can cure the real problem, cure the symptom!

The blinking and small noises sounds more like a tic disorder of some kind...my son has tourette syndrome...he also has tummy problems...

Closed Thread