It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
(male)

Rationale HB User
The Cure For OCD

OCD is not something that you have to live with the rest of your life. You may feel like your in a prison, but you have the key in YOUR hand. You can open the door and walk out anytime you want. Thereís hope for everybody.

I donít think drugs are necessary to cure this. Doctors are too quick to diagnose people with diseases these days. Why might doctors prescribe medication so quickly? Medication is such a huge money making market. There is so much money in it for others to make off you. Our state of mind has now become, ďI must be ďmentally illĒ, so give me a pill to make me betterĒ. This state of mind is really hurting us as a society. You can get through your problems that are in your head without being drugged up.

Just think about the average person. If others can do or not do certain tasks, such as not washing their hands compulsively and remain healthy then why canít you? Our body is made up of bacteria, so there is no need to fight it. Just embrace that fact, since we need bacteria to survive. Or if you have to do a task a certain number of times so something bad wonít happen. That means you are superstitious. Superstition gets people nowhere. Just stop believing in it just like you did with the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause. Iím not trying to be funny, superstition is a false belief.

YOU are your own cure. Unlock the door and walk out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2005, 05:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: The Cure For OCD

To "unlock the door and walk out" and to simply give up superstitious compulsions is easier said than done. Obviously normal people can do it, but we OCD-ers have different brain chemistry that makes it difficult. The fact that we're able to get stuck on these ideas in the first place is what causes the disorder in the first place...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Last edited by GatsbyLuvr1920; 08-10-2005 at 05:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2005, 05:45 PM   #3

Blue102 HB User

Rationale, do you have OCD?

It's hard to understand it if you haven't experienced it. I'm as big a believer in helping yourself as anyone is. But if your thinking is biologically imbalanced, it's very, very difficult to psych yourself out of it.

However, I agree that in some *mild* cases of OCD, it can be done (as I'm trying to do now, myself.)

OCD is not superstition.

Old 08-11-2005, 08:01 PM   #4
(female)

starznmyeyes HB User

Rationale,

I don't think it's your place to decide if drugs are or aren't the answer. Do you suffer from OCD? I don't care if these drug companies make money off of me, if I feel better while I'm going through therapy, I'm going to take it! If these drugs can allow me to function on a somewhat normal basis without thoughts racing through my head constantly, then I'm happy. Do you actually think it's that simple to just stop these thoughts and compulsions? If it was, we wouldn't have a mental disorder. People that can stop the thoughts don't have it. That's why it's a disease. It's just like trying to tell someone who suffers from depression to just "cheer up". It isn't that simple.

Old 08-11-2005, 08:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User

"Unlock the door and walk out."
Boy, I sure wish it was that easy.

Old 08-11-2005, 10:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

gardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB Usergardenandcats HB User

I guess I have lost the key to my door.

Old 08-12-2005, 10:19 AM   #7
(female)

kirkydir HB User

If only all it took was to open a door and walk away I am sure we all would have done that in a heart beat. You either do not suffer from OCD or are one of the lucky few who has conquered it. It is great to have such a positive attitude but any OCD-sufferer understands that it is impossible to simply turn your thought process off.

Closed Thread