It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2005, 07:53 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

sinnister81 HB User
Inositol???

Hey all, I just read a study that 18 grams of inositol per day significantly helped many ocd patients. I also saw someone here who posted saying they take it and it improved them. Anyone have any stories of inositol they d like to share?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
(female)

kirkydir HB User
Re: Inositol???

Hi,
I was probably the post you read stating that inositol did help. I am a pure-O and it has relieved all of my anxiety and has decreased the obsessional thoughts. The only side effect I have experienced is GI upset (cramping and bloating) which seems to come and go. The side effects are bearable considering the improvement in my mental health. I have not read any other posts supporting the success of inositol. My understanding from what I have read is that most people are not compliant when taking it (you have to take it three times a day for 3 months to see results) or the GI upset is too much to handle so they stop taking it. I would definetely recommend giving it a try (especially if you can't handle the side effects of precribed meds), but do so under the care of a physician.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2005, 07:40 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

sinnister81 HB User

Whats the dosage that you take of inositol??? and are y pretty much symptom free?????? Ill take bloating cramping any day of the week or living hell

Old 09-29-2005, 01:42 PM   #4
(female)

kirkydir HB User

I take 18gm each day. You start on a low dose and gradually work your way up to 18gm over a 6 week period. I am close to being symptom free. I was taking xanax three times daily to control anxiety but I no longer need it. The obsessions are minimal now and when they arise I am able to cope with them - they don't rule my life anymore. It is quite amazing that something natural has helped me so much. You are right...the bloating and cramping is totally worth it (these symptoms are only transient). I also take vitamin-B and a multivitamin and exercise 1 hour everyday. It is probably a combination of all of these that has helped. I also removed caffeine and sugar from my diet. It took me many years to realize that caffeine exacerbated my anxiety.
Good Luck.
P.S. If you search the internet with the keywords "inositol" and "OCD" you will find many journal articles supporting the benefits of inositol.

Closed Thread