It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2005, 11:19 PM   #1
(male)

Christophu HB User
Alcohol and ocd?

I've been wondering something If you have been known to have violent OCD thoughts and impulses and been really scared of them, when you drink alcohol will it possibly make you act on these thoughts and impulses? Just wondering if I can drink and not worry about this sort of thing.

(sorry If Im wording this wrong or if it doesn't make sense period)

Old 10-15-2005, 04:24 AM   #2
(female)

jojotigerlily HB User
Re: Alcohol and ocd?

well from my own past experiences, wine helps me relax. If I am having a stressful day I might have a glass of wine at night before bed. It totally relaxes me. Now I am not saying go out and get drunk, thats just not cool. BUT with me, wine does calm me down. I will have a glass maybe once or twice a month. I dont make a habit of it. I think it might depend on the person and the extent of your OCD if alcohol will affect you in a bad way.

Whatever you do, be safe.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2005, 07:39 PM   #3
(female)

r12las HB User
Re: Alcohol and ocd?

alcohol makes my obsessions go one of two ways, depending on my mood, and reasons behind the drinking. Firstly alcohol can help block the thoughts (tho obviously I am not reccommending this as we all know alcohol does not help any1 with mood/brain issues lol!) Secondly, it can make me more ashamed, guilty etc about the thoughts and make me more worried that I may act on them, which then spirals down to me gettting angry with myself and more likely to internalise the anger and take it out on myself...

Obviously alcohol lowers inhibitions so I can see why you might be worried about acting out impulses, but I think that most people never act on impulses, so do not see that it would. Has there been incidents where you have/nearly hav acted on impulses when drinking christophu? The obvious answer is to not let the drinking get out of control so that you are never at a stage where you would not be in control of these impulses, but I also know that its not that easy and that I never take my own advice! especially if you use alcohol to self medicate...

I think the fact that you are worried about it suggests that you probably wouldn't act on the impulses...

hope that made sense

r12las xx

Closed Thread