It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2005, 10:52 PM   #1
(female)

jhopeful HB User
ocd and dating someone with an std

i'm in a real depression over this, so i was hoping some of you could offer me some advice. i was diagnosed with ocd about 6 years ago and have been on meds for 4 years. my particular ocd focuses mainly on stds. i am newly single and have one slept with one person (we dated for years). i started seeing a new guy a little over a month ago. i'm always nervous about stds so i asked him if he has any. unfortunately he has genital warts. the condition isn't physically dangerous...really just cosmetic. and it generally goes away in time. i've spoken to 3 different doctors about this and they all seem to think it's a rather common phenomenon and that it isn't a big deal. all three have said that i should date this guy if i really see a future with him and just hold off on sex. i didn't think i could handle this at first. i REALLY liked this guy right away. so i decided to date him and just put off anything sexual. over the course of the month i began to fall head over heels for him. he's just unbelievable in every way. but i've been living in constant anxiety. i'm constantly washing my hands and clothing and showering after i see him. we have NOT had any risky encounters...all very PG. so rationally i know i shouldn't be anxious. you can't get this disease from toilets or anything like that. yet, the anxiety finally got to me and i ended the relationship with him. i'm completely depressed about this. i feel like i could really be with him in the long run. i just feel so helpless...like my ocd has bested me. any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2005, 10:12 PM   #2
(female)

jhopeful HB User
Re: ocd and dating someone with an std

guess i'm all alone in figuring this one out.

Old 11-20-2005, 04:15 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sari05 HB User
Talking Re: ocd and dating someone with an std

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhopeful
i'm in a real depression over this, so i was hoping some of you could offer me some advice. i was diagnosed with ocd about 6 years ago and have been on meds for 4 years. my particular ocd focuses mainly on stds. i am newly single and have one slept with one person (we dated for years). i started seeing a new guy a little over a month ago. i'm always nervous about stds so i asked him if he has any. unfortunately he has genital warts. the condition isn't physically dangerous...really just cosmetic. and it generally goes away in time. i've spoken to 3 different doctors about this and they all seem to think it's a rather common phenomenon and that it isn't a big deal. all three have said that i should date this guy if i really see a future with him and just hold off on sex. i didn't think i could handle this at first. i REALLY liked this guy right away. so i decided to date him and just put off anything sexual. over the course of the month i began to fall head over heels for him. he's just unbelievable in every way. but i've been living in constant anxiety. i'm constantly washing my hands and clothing and showering after i see him. we have NOT had any risky encounters...all very PG. so rationally i know i shouldn't be anxious. you can't get this disease from toilets or anything like that. yet, the anxiety finally got to me and i ended the relationship with him. i'm completely depressed about this. i feel like i could really be with him in the long run. i just feel so helpless...like my ocd has bested me. any advice?
Hi There!!!!

No you are not alone in this, lots of people have OCD. I have OCD, I have a obsession of washing myself and germs. I wash my hands alot, I take a shower every night, I use a different towel every night when I shower,
also I wash my clothes alot too. I just feel like some things are comtinated,
and I feel that I am dirty too. I know what that is like and it just drives me crazy.

I had OCD for a year now, and I am getting help for it, and I am on medication for it, and I still have it. Also I use a bar of soap to cleanse myself with, and I change the bars of soap every night.

Also I have too much anxiety, and I have been really depressed too.
I am really sorry that things haven't been going so well for you, and that you broke up with your boyfriend because of your OCD.

Just to let you know, it's you it's your OCD and you are not crazy. What you really need to do is talk to a Counselor about it, and also you should take medication for it too, talking to a Counselor and taking medication for your OCD might help you. Also you are always welcome to talk about it here on this website, all of us are here for you when you need somebody to talk to about it.

I just thought that I should let you know that, you take care and keep in touch!!!! Keep me posted on your OCD, I want to know how you are doing.
From,
Sari

Old 11-20-2005, 09:34 PM   #4
(female)

jhopeful HB User

sad thing is, i've been in therapy for 6 years and on meds for 5. i was doing much better with my ocd until i started dating this guy. i've totally started to fall in love with him. nonetheless, my ocd is preventing me from dating him. i wish i were strong enough to push through my anxiety.

Old 11-22-2005, 07:32 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

bkm4673 HB User

that suxs but i wish u good luck....................

Old 11-23-2005, 04:26 PM   #6
(female)

stay2gether HB User

this guy could be your chance in life for true happyness, he could be the one.
as long as you use protection etc you have very little chance of catching this from him and if hes receiving treatment for them they shoupd go.

i understand it must be very hard for you as i also have ocd.

i think you need to talk to him about this if you havenyt already and also see a counseller if your not presently doing so, are you on the right meds? or do you think changing them may help?

i think you need to talk to him asap, its not everyday you fall in love with someone and when youve got it i think you should hold on tightly to it

plz update us on this

goodluck

Old 11-28-2005, 05:40 PM   #7
(female)

jhopeful HB User

thanks so much for that last reply. i am in therapy and i am on celexa. the guy i'm dating knows all about my ocd and my fears. we've been on and off for the past month because of my fears and he's at the end of his patience. i'm even afraid to have him up to my apartment because i'm afraid he'll use my toilet and then i'll get the warts. i know that medically that is not possible, but i'm still anxious. i'm working on it with my shrink. i vascillate between wanting to just be with him b/c he could be the one and thinking that i shouldn't expose myself to this. so the ocd is the main impediment at the moment. he wants me to commit to him but i'm having trouble doing so. ugh, it's a mess.

Closed Thread