It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2005, 09:28 AM   #1
(female)

jgann HB User
why do some noises drive me crazy

I don't know if this is normal or not it actually enrages me to hear certain noises, like gum chewing, people chewing with there mouth open, ticking of the clock, barking dogs, silverware scrapping against things,and many more. The guy in the cubical next to mine clips his nails every day it makes me so irritated I want to choke him to death. I am extremely hard on my son about the way he eats, it drives me crazy to the point I could wear ear plugs. These kind of noises make me really want to hurt someone. It makes me completly loose my train of thought and all I can do is concentrate on the noise and how I can make it stop.

Old 11-23-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
(female)

stay2gether HB User
Re: why do some noises drive me crazy

im like this when i go to sleep, i cant sleep and get very irritated if there is any other noise, even someone elses breathing drives me mad!!!! this causes massive problems for me.

how are you when you sleep? do noises bother you then?

its hard i mean theres not really alot you can do aout these noises what drive you mad other than try to avoid the times when you know thsee noises are going to be. it must be very stressful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2005, 04:19 PM   #3
(female)

stay2gether HB User

oh yeah the sound of clocks ticking drive me mad too!!!! its so annoying!

Old 11-23-2005, 09:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jennyVee HB UserjennyVee HB User

yeh i hate when people chew gum loudly or pop bubbles aghhh gets me so mad lol

Old 11-23-2005, 09:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lucky charms HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyVee
yeh i hate when people chew gum loudly or pop bubbles aghhh gets me so mad lol
Oh I agree ...

Old 11-23-2005, 11:36 PM   #6
(male)

TakeThatOCD HB User

Yes, mine are people who chew their gum and don't close their mouths. People who sit next to me on the bus and crack their newspapers and fumble through it, talk on their cellphones so everyone can hear, or listen to headphones so loudly that you can hear it from 5 rows behind you. I also have a problem with people who talk so loudly you can hear them from the other side of the office where I work. Also, they practically scream into the phones when someone calls. They talk like everyone is deaf and they are very annoying people. I know what you mean I have always had a problem with noises but these are the ones that stand out on a daily basis for me.

Old 11-24-2005, 07:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

yes takethatocd LOUD mouth people are the worst they get on my nerves, most are just inconsiderate people that dont care if everone hears there stuff, i cant stand it when I see a husband/wife cursing each other out in walmart, grrrr

Last edited by jennyVee; 11-24-2005 at 07:39 AM.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:20 AM   #8
(female)

marshmello HB User
Angry Re: why do some noises drive me crazy

I just had to add my 2cents in here. My biggest pet peeve noises in the office are:
- People who clip their fingernails at their desk...for 15 minutes straight!!
- People who talk so loudly that they're practically screaming. Their phone conversations are even louder!
- Extremely loud typing with acrylic tips!! This is the worst of them all. It drives me nuts and she sits right beside me!
- Loud coughing without covering the mouth. Is a lung going to come up? Geez!!
- Slamming down the copier door after each copy.

Other sounds that I hate...
- People who chew like a cow. Especially with crunchy foods like potatoe chips.
- Constant gum cracking or popping.
- All noises while I'm trying to sleep such as ticking clocks, t.v.'s, radios, snoring or loud breathing. (I'm glad I sleep alone).
- A baby that is constantly crying or screaming in public.
- Fireworks in my neighborhood and it's not 4th of July!

Last edited by marshmello; 12-07-2005 at 11:21 AM.

Old 12-08-2005, 07:59 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

OCD-ers often have heightened sensory awareness, most likely attributed to the fact that our brains are constantly on "sensory overload" because we can't filter out the important from the unimportant, and also, because practically all of us (myself included) have symptoms of mild Asperger's disorder, or high-functioning autism. In Asperger's, people are hypersensitive, not only to sounds, but also to textures, lights, etc. I have mild Asperger's, and yes, certain noises drive me insane...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 12-09-2005, 07:12 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

HeWillBeStrong HB User

Wow, I was very suprised to see this here.

Hearing people breathing/snoring is SUCH a problem for me. I absoutely HATE IT, and CANNOT fall asleep if I hear it. However, I love hearing my boyfriend breathing. It calms me a lot. But anyone else, and I really want to KILL them. Ticking clocks used to be a problem, but they're not so much anymore.

I use a sound machine when I sleep now. And ear plugs, if someone is sleeping in the same room (besides my boyfriend) So that's worked out well for me. As long as I have white noise and not any other sound, most of the time I can tell that the noise is on repeat (that pisses me off too, I just sit and listen to the same thing over and over...) but white noise is consistant, and works well.

Old 12-09-2005, 07:17 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

lol marshemellow that was funny!

Old 12-09-2005, 07:19 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

what I hate teh most is when people pop bubblegum bubbles next to me grrr that gets on my nerves.. and also when they eat and make loud chewing noises grrr

Old 12-09-2005, 09:13 PM   #13
(male)

mikeb HB User

Search this board for "Repeitivte sounds". I too posted a similar topic.
Just FYI.

It just blows me away that such a simple little sound can get into my (someones') head and create such rage, aggrevation, irritation etc.

Why? I have pretty good self control in all other aspects of life, why can't I (we) just, "ignore", these repetitive sounds?

A couple of observations I've made recently.
I am gluten intolerant and it affects my mood (and other ways) quite a bit.
I have noticed that when I go off my gluten free diet, my mood suffers quite noticeably, which in turn (I believe) raises my sensitivety to all annoyances in general, especially sound.
And... when I'm in a "better" mood (in general, for what ever reason) these things bother me far less.

As someone has advised on this thread, I'm checking into "anxiety" as a possible source for this problem.

Luck!

Old 01-11-2006, 11:05 AM   #14
(female)

daftthing HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyLuvr1920
OCD-ers often have heightened sensory awareness, most likely attributed to the fact that our brains are constantly on "sensory overload" because we can't filter out the important from the unimportant
I never thought about it like that before - but it makes complete sense! My anger builds when I hear people chewing. The sound of saliva mixed with chewing of food really really bothers me. There are others too, but that's the worst!

Karen.

Closed Thread