It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2005, 09:54 PM   #1
(male)

xmagicman HB User
Isn't it true that germs die after a few hours?

Hello, I am a 16 year old male and recently I have been experiencing some symptoms of OCD, which have started about three months ago. For example, I now wash my hands quite often, and have developed several "rituals" which involve always rinsing my hands and wrists a specific amount of times (counting while I wash my hands). I am also paranoid about touching doorknobs in public places, especially bathrooms. What if someone didn't wash their hands?

I feel uneasy when it comes to touching things in hotel rooms, such as telephones and phone books. What if a couple were to have sex and decided to order a pizza or something?

I'm not quite sure, but isn't it true that germs die on dry surfaces after a few hours? For example, on a public computer at the library, when the library closes overnight, woudldn't all the germs be dead by the time the library opens the next morning? (provided that you are the first to walk into the library)

If this germ theory were to be true, this would make me feel so much better. Please give me some insight on this matter.

Thank you so much, Cheers.

Last edited by xmagicman; 12-30-2005 at 09:57 PM.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sari05 HB User
Re: Isn't it true that germs die after a few hours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmagicman
Hello, I am a 16 year old male and recently I have been experiencing some symptoms of OCD, which have started about three months ago. For example, I now wash my hands quite often, and have developed several "rituals" which involve always rinsing my hands and wrists a specific amount of times (counting while I wash my hands). I am also paranoid about touching doorknobs in public places, especially bathrooms. What if someone didn't wash their hands?

I feel uneasy when it comes to touching things in hotel rooms, such as telephones and phone books. What if a couple were to have sex and decided to order a pizza or something?

I'm not quite sure, but isn't it true that germs die on dry surfaces after a few hours? For example, on a public computer at the library, when the library closes overnight, woudldn't all the germs be dead by the time the library opens the next morning? (provided that you are the first to walk into the library)

If this germ theory were to be true, this would make me feel so much better. Please give me some insight on this matter.

Thank you so much, Cheers.
Hi There!!!

If it makes you feel better, I have OCD too and I have obsession of washing myself and with germs too. When I take a shower, I take a 30-minute shower,
I change the bar of soap everynight, and I feel that I have to take a shower every night because I feel like I am contimated. Also I have to use a different towel every night when I shower, and I have to wear clean pajamas everynight.

Also alot of times, I feel that everything is contimated, and I feel like I have to clean it. Yes I feel that the bathroom doorknobs in Public restrooms are contimated too, so I always use a papertowl to open the door because you don't know if people wash their hands after they use the toilet.

Also I used to wash my hands alot too, but now I cut that down. My hands looked terrible, and they still look terrible. They crack and bleed, so I have to put lotion on them.

Another thing I just thought of, I have obsession of checking things like: making the doors are closed and locked, the windows are up, the lights are off, and other things. I had obsessive thoughts too, I had thoughts of killing my family by cutting their throat's, and I had gay thoughts too.

Anyway my OCD is driving me crazy too!!! I just want to let you know that you are not the only one who is going through this, I have this problem and lots of other people have this problem too.

Are you on any medication for it? Do you see a Shrink or a Psychologist for it?
I was just wondering, because you should seeing a counselor for it and taking medication for it too, that is really important, you need to get some help for your OCD. I am on medication and I am seeing a Shrink and a Psychologist,
my OCD is severe, I had it for almost 2 years now, and I am still dealing with it.

Last edited by Sari05; 01-01-2006 at 05:39 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
(female)

r12las HB User

I studied microbiology, and am interested in why you fear the germs? I completely understand the fear of people who don't wash their hands after the toilet, cause thats just disgusting! and no-one wants contact with THOSE kind of bacteria!! is it all bacteria? do you not eat yoghurts, drink water or milk? or is it just germs that may possibly cause you to feel ill? I really want to try to understand what you're going through, but I have a lot of theories about levels of good bacteria being much healthier than none, a kinda natural protection system. In fact I have wacky theories in my mind, that we evolved to be 'perfect hosts' to bacteria and the like. We certainly would not be alive if it weren't for bacteria, but I completely understand about being contaminated by 'bad' bacteria. I have a nasty cold at the moment, and went into university tioay and was coughing and sneezing in the computer room, and was thinking, 'how long will the bugs be alive on the keyboard?' and how many people could go down with my bug without even knowing, if they went on the computer after me!!!' I think the japenese have great ideas about wearing particle masks to prevent crooss-contamination!!

Sorry if I have not helped at all, I don't want to scare anyone into worse ocd traits!! I just want to understand...

luv

r12las xx

Old 01-04-2006, 07:17 AM   #4
(female)

SassySingleMa HB User

I can't go to the bathroom in a public it grosses me out too much. I usually kick the door open. I'm not sure about germs. I saw a lysol commercial that says the flu can live on a surface for two weeks.....but that could be just advertisiing

Old 01-04-2006, 10:14 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sari05 HB User
Talking Re: Isn't it true that germs die after a few hours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r12las
I studied microbiology, and am interested in why you fear the germs? I completely understand the fear of people who don't wash their hands after the toilet, cause thats just disgusting! and no-one wants contact with THOSE kind of bacteria!! is it all bacteria? do you not eat yoghurts, drink water or milk? or is it just germs that may possibly cause you to feel ill? I really want to try to understand what you're going through, but I have a lot of theories about levels of good bacteria being much healthier than none, a kinda natural protection system. In fact I have wacky theories in my mind, that we evolved to be 'perfect hosts' to bacteria and the like. We certainly would not be alive if it weren't for bacteria, but I completely understand about being contaminated by 'bad' bacteria. I have a nasty cold at the moment, and went into university tioay and was coughing and sneezing in the computer room, and was thinking, 'how long will the bugs be alive on the keyboard?' and how many people could go down with my bug without even knowing, if they went on the computer after me!!!' I think the japenese have great ideas about wearing particle masks to prevent crooss-contamination!!

Sorry if I have not helped at all, I don't want to scare anyone into worse ocd traits!! I just want to understand...

luv

r12las xx
Hey that's okay that you are trying to understand the fear of germs.
I just want to let you know that alot of people with OCD fear germs, it is a common symptom of OCD. I fear germs, I feel that everything is contaminated, and I have a obsession of washing myself.

Closed Thread