It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2006, 05:35 PM   #1
(female)

Giggle 55 HB User
how to make my friend believe?

im afraid that the doctor will say that i dont have ocd and that i will have to live with this for the rest of my life which i cant do on my own i mean i was the worst i have ever been last week but this week is better am i just making myself think i have it? im so confused and none of my friends believe me my one does and is honestly trying to help she is reading these to learn more which is great and i thank her so much for it like it helps so much but my one friend (my other best friend) said that she wouldnt believe me until i am on medicine how do i get her to believe me? i want to get diagnoised for her to believe me and not for me but thats not the way it should be? i just need some advise

Old 01-22-2006, 06:22 PM   #2
(male)

Dogbone HB User
Re: how to make my friend believe?

It doesn't matter if your friend doesn't think you have ocd. Most people want you to feel like you are alright because they love you. This is about you though. Any doctor that hasn't had his/her head in the sand for the last twenty years will know about ocd.
I told my parents a few years back about some of the stuff I had been going through for the last thirty years. It was all new to them since I was very good at hidding my compulsions and obsessions. My dear parents, the loves of my life, just laughed and changed the subject. So, don't be too hard on your other friend, everyone wants everything to be alright. It is too hard for them to deal with otherwise : )

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
(male)

Tyguy781 HB User

Can you explain what it is you're going through?

Old 01-22-2006, 06:40 PM   #4
(female)

Giggle 55 HB User

I was just wondering how to ask a doctor about being reccomended for and OCD diagnosis. Im 99% sure that i have it; i check locks and burners and lights, the left hand must do the same as the right, i think about terrible things happening, if there is a knife on the table i think wow i could kill ____(who ever is standing there) even though i love them and would never do that. I trace the suit jackets with my eyes on tv, and trace the outlife of peole's eyes also. Im sick of this but afraid. I hoard things, and have social anxiety. Im terrified if im int he dark, and everythign has to be in order. I have to be interupteed in the middle of a notrmal routine, and if i itch one side of my face, i have to itch the other. Is this OCD? Im afraid that the dotors will say you dont have this and i will have to live with this forever. My parents dont know half of what i do but im scared they wont believe me cuz my friends dont. Please help.

Old 01-23-2006, 09:08 AM   #5
(male)

Dogbone HB User

Giggle55, why don't you tell the doctor what you just wrote? It explains everything really well. You should also get the book "Tormenting Thoughts and Secret Rituals", by Ian Osborn. It will help you understand ocd and it is a good book for your parents and friends to read if you want to help them understant what you are going through. Your friends and family will understand given some time. Take care.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

I totally agree with Dogbone. I, too, have quite frequent obsessions still, after being diagnosed, doubting whether or not I have OCD. "Maybe I'm faking to get attention...I didn't obsess today- that surely means that I'm exaggerating to get sympathy and special treatment...I'm a liar...I'm overdiagnosing myself..." But, Tormenting Thoughts is an EXCELLENT book for pure obsessionals, of which I am one, and is actually the book that I officially diagnosed myself from. I have never read a book quite so powerful...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Closed Thread