It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2006, 02:52 PM   #1
(male)

cabinbuilder HB User
repetitive sounds

I have sounds that drive me crazy at times. Gum popping, eating with mout open, sniffling, constant coughing, spoon on ceramic cereal bowl. Do any of you have Anxiety / OCD problems with sounds like these, and what have you done for help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2006, 02:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User
Re: repetitive sounds

I get actual "repetitive sounds" stuck in my head- usually songs and quotes from movies and TV shows. Every day, all day. Really interferes when I have to read from my college textbooks! lol! Seriously, reading forty pages can take me four hours thanks to all of the distractions in my head and around me...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2006, 07:25 AM   #3
(female)

daftthing HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyLuvr1920
I get actual "repetitive sounds" stuck in my head- usually songs and quotes from movies and TV shows. Every day, all day. Really interferes when I have to read from my college textbooks! lol! Seriously, reading forty pages can take me four hours thanks to all of the distractions in my head and around me...
-GatsbyLuvr1920-
I COMPLETELY relate to just about everything you said.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

mothtoaflame- I know! Isn't it awful! Not quite as awful as feeling totally shaken, which I am right now. Just had to give a speech. Getting up in front of people isn't a problem for me- it's worrying whether I'm proving my point and doing a good job. I took a 0.5 Klonopin this morning, and that calmed me from 8-10:30, during my other classes, and then the panic attacks started up again. Right now, I'm just physically drained. My hands can barely type they're shaking so badly. I just feel this utter sense of exhaustion and drainage...Not fun.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 02-03-2006, 12:55 AM   #5

RatGirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinbuilder
I have sounds that drive me crazy at times. Gum popping, eating with mout open, sniffling, constant coughing, spoon on ceramic cereal bowl. Do any of you have Anxiety / OCD problems with sounds like these, and what have you done for help?
oh totally. I had the Mexican Hat Dance going through my head for years. I'm not kidding. Anything that sounds like a phone ringing (or even a cel phone vibrating) makes me crazy. Kids screaming or whining is one of the worst. Anything too loud is confusing, or sounds overlapping can set me off (like someone talking over loud music, trying to talk on the phone with a tv or music on, etc.) Some repetative noises will get me going where it's hard to stop making those noises (talk about making me feel nuts.)

Old 02-08-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
(male)

dgold HB User

to cabin builder. I can understand. This sounds like OCD. you may want to get on some medium dosages of meds to see if this helps the problem. I would start out with Luvox or Prozac.

For Behavoral therapy, the next time you feel that you have this problem controlled. Try this. Spend about 15-45 min and PURPOSLEY set off the OCD. YES force yourself to think and hear these sounds. This will eventually habituate your brain from acting on these annoying sounds. Accept these sounds and just let them be there. Start off with small sounds and gradually work your way up to more annoying sounds. Try to visualize and hear these sounds in your head. This may set off your anxiety but that is the point. EVentually the brain wont be as annoyed if you do this daily

Closed Thread