It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2006, 06:14 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Sillygrl HB UserSillygrl HB User
Petrified of blood and hitting someone in my car! Help!!!

I have been here before, but not for awhile. I have OCD and it has been a huge part of my life for about 2 yrs now. I started taking Prozac (20mg) about a year and a few months ago. I stopped a few months ago cold turkey and that was not a good idea. I have been having worse obsessions, worries and compulsions. I am back on my medication, but its been only 3 days. If you have been on the medication, stop taking it, then start again how soon until you will it start working again? That is the first of a few questions. If you have the patience, please read a little about my OCD.
I am absolutely petrified I will hit/run over someone on the road. Any bump or anything I have to look in my rearview mirror to see if it really was just a bump. Pretty much daily I will drive back around to the spot I ran over a bump to make double sure. I live in an apt and many many times I will drive around the complex 2 or so times, to make sure I never hit anything. I am sure I look like a lunatic. I work at a childcare center and I have to pick up school kids and lately I just hate doing it. I am especially terrified of hitting a child. Today as a great example I was in my car ready to back up and a kid came up behind the car next to me, with their parent. I know the kid went around to the other side, I backed up and looked, but my mind still worries I hit the kid. I am exhausted and getting to the point I dont want to drive anymore. This kills me because I used to LOVE to drive, it was my time away if I needed alone time. All of this is very recent.
I am also very afraid of getting HIV/AIDS. This worry sometimes gets meshed into the other one. I worry I hit someone and then blood will get on me.
I cant take it anymore. I want to go back to the days I could back up in my car without my heart beating out of my chest.
Does anyone have a similar obsession? If so, how do you handle it? I cant waste anymore of my life driving around in circles looking for something thats not there (knock on wood, I am also very superstitious). I have also called non-emergency dispatch, but I am afraid they will start recognizing me. What can I do to help myself. I am also not in the position in my life right now where I can get counseling, I just cant afford it. Please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2006, 06:49 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Sillygrl HB UserSillygrl HB User
Re: Petrified of blood and hitting someone in my car! Help!!!

Is this too weird or something?

Old 03-10-2006, 10:43 PM   #3
(female)

Cecelia117 HB User

Hi, I don't have the same obsession you do of hitting someone with a car, but I have read and heard of it, so you are definitely not the only one. I think it is actually kind of common. If you cant afford counceling right now, the best advice I could give is to get some different books on OCD. I like Imp of the Mind, Tormenting Thoughts and Secret Rituals, and Brain Lock is a good one. There are some tips in them for self help.

As far as I know CBT is the best thing though (although I haven't yet started it myself), so hopefully eventually you can go to a therapist that does this. Some therapist go by a sliding scale, so maybe you can look into this.

Hopefully I've helped atleast a little.

Old 03-22-2006, 10:01 AM   #4

RTTanu HB User

I have the similar things about afraid I hit something. Or I run over a bump, and it jerks the car a little bit, and it's like I am not paying attn to my driving, or in a daze. I then say, OH NO, did I run over someone. I can't see them on the ground, Oh and I turn around and go back, once I look and see nothing, I usually am ok.

Also, I know when I leave the house, I push the button for the garage door to go down. But 1 block away, I doubt that I closed the garage. So, I drive back and double check. But this is done almost every time I leave the house. I feel sometimes in a daze. Does this relate?

Old 03-22-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
(female)

seashellnotcare HB User

i understand the checking thing. i always have to go back and do my compulstion, which is blinking/ touching. i dont get scared when backing up but i have to hold my breathe when i see an animal because iam afraid they will run out and i will kill them.
there are also workbooks out there. i saw at a bookstore there was a book called "getting a handle on your OCD workbook." but word of advice, some ocd books about compulsions and stuff can make you worse. i have read a few OCD books and all the sudden i had all these new compulsions.

Closed Thread