It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006, 10:59 AM   #1
(female)

AngelOfLight82 HB User
Obsessive shopping & a little about me & my OCD!

I have OCD. I have had it since I was 12. I'm now 24. My obsessions are to have things in a neat and organized order. I'm a compulsive note/list maker. I feel as if writing things down on paper relieves stress. I fear that I may forget what I am thinking if I don't write it down. I feel as if everything I think of is of importance. If I don't write things down I constantly am thinking about the list in my head and checking them off. It sometimes feels like a broken record. I could repeat the list over and over again in my head. If I don't say my lists it in my head in a certain way, than I must repeat it again. I feel writing my notes/lists down on paper help reduce the stress and anxiety. Right now I am coming off Cymbalta 30mg and just recently started back-up with Wellbutrin XL 150mg. I take Valium 5mg as needed for anxiety. When I'm not on my meds things are out of control. I am constantly writing notes/lists. My notes/list usually consists of what needs to be done, shopping lists, goals, etc. What is funny is if I'm writing my lists of what needs to be done for the day, it actually consumes my time rather than actually completing the task itself. This can be very scary. Sometimes writing my notes becomes dangerous. My OCD got real bad one year that I actually lost my job due to it. Well, I really took a leave of absence and just never went back to work. I also have depression. I was diagnosed with Major Depression when I was 15. When my OCD and Depression conflicts with each other it becomes very disabling. For instance, I sometimes feel that my compulsive list making will become an asset to my future, but when my depression is at its worst I don't care anymore and things start to fall apart. The things that usually make me stressed still do, but it really depresses me as well. In stead of constantly writing lists or even straightening the house, I end up procrastinating. This is due to my depression and it makes me feel even worse about myself. I don't know if this makes any sense, but I often feel useless. I have gotten into the habit of telling myself when I forget something that if it was important I would have not of forgotten it in the first place. I also say that if it is important it will come back to meÖit always does.

I wanted to share with you my latest problem with my OCD. I have this obsession and desire to have certain things. Especially now since mine and my husbandís business is starting to take off. I am constantly writing shopping lists and wish lists. I write up a shopping list before I go shopping. When I am at the store I often look for a certain item that is on my wish list. There are times when I actually come home with that item. I also compulsively at the last minute go somewhere like to a store and end up getting something. I know this is very dangerous and is can and probably is putting us in debt. I try to not listen to those thoughts or I tell myself that what I want right now isnít necessary and that it can wait. This doesnít always help. I know I probably should get help before it does too much damage. I was just wondering if there are any OCDerís out there who could relate to me. If so, I would love to hear from you. I would like to know what works for you. Thanks!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2006, 11:01 PM   #2
Inactive

visions HB User
Re: Obsessive shopping & a little about me & my OCD!

Angel,

While your obsession with list making may be an OCD symptom, obsessive shopping is not. It is an OCD spectrum disorder, but not the same as OCD and the treatments are entirely different. Who has diagnosed you and what treatment are they doing with you for OCD? You need to make sure you are getting a proper diagnosis or else you may not be getting the treatment you need. I see you are not on any OCD meds.??

I can't advocate enough, the importance of reasearching OCD and the treatment. It is hard to know if you have OCD or if you are getting the proper treatment if you are not educated in what that is.

Last edited by visions; 04-27-2006 at 12:45 AM.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:35 AM   #3
(female)

AngelOfLight82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by visions
Angel,

While your obsession with list making may be an OCD symptom, obsessive shopping is not. It is an OCD spectrum disorder, but not the same as OCD and the treatments are entirely different. Who has diagnosed you and what treatment are they doing with you for OCD? You need to make sure you are getting a proper diagnosis or else you may not be getting the treatment you need. I see you are not on any OCD meds.??

I can't advocate enough, the importance of reasearching OCD and the treatment. It is hard to know if you have OCD or if you are getting the proper treatment if you are not educated in what that is.

Oh no, I defiantly have OCD, there is no mistake made there. My OCD isn't as extreme as others, but it is defiantly OCD. I fit all classifications of OCD. I was giving the standard OCD testing as many of you may have had when I was 12. My test came back as Mild OCD. I have been on Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, Elevil, Effexor XR, Wellbutrin XL, Cymbalta and now am going on Busbar. From time to time my OCD gets a little extreme, but never as crazy as walking through a door a hundred times before leaving the house. I do have the usual checking and re-checking symptoms. I also have this thing with even numbers and counting in my head over and over again.

Obsessive shopping can be a symptom of OCD. It also can be a symptom of Bi Polar/Manic Depression. My aunt was diagnosed 3 years ago with OCD. She also has Bi Polar/Manic Depression. When she was diagnosed with OCD she was shopping obsessively. I don't know where it is you get your information, but you might find asking your doctor if it is possible to have obsessive shopping as a symptom of OCD. I believe you will be surprised by the answer.

Old 04-27-2006, 11:43 PM   #4
Inactive

visions HB User

>>>Obsessive shopping can be a symptom of OCD. It also can be a symptom of Bi Polar/Manic Depression. My aunt was diagnosed 3 years ago with OCD. She also has Bi Polar/Manic Depression. When she was diagnosed with OCD she was shopping obsessively. I don't know where it is you get your information, but you might find asking your doctor if it is possible to have obsessive shopping as a symptom of OCD. I believe you will be surprised by the answer. >>>

Angel,

I am not sure where you are getting your information. Just because you have OCD does not put your obsessive shopping into that catagory. It is clearly an OCD spectrum disorder, which is not OCD and the treatment for it is very different than your OCD treatment for your OCD symptoms. You don't have to and shouldn't take my word for it or anyone else, you should do your own research and homework and educated yourself. The sources are endless.

You will find in your research that people with OCD, and with most mental illnesses, have comorbid diagnosis, so it is not at all uncommon that your aunt with OCD has depression and spectrum disorders and the treatments are all different. Over 1/3 of people with OCD have PTSD and again they are two different disorders and the treatments are very different.

Are you familiar with the treatment for OCD? What, specifically, treatment have you done, are you doing, for you OCD symptoms?

Old 04-28-2006, 08:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

shopping can definately be related to OCD.
Hoarding is a sign of OCD....
I like to say that I buy in bulk......but some people may consider it hoarding.

Old 04-28-2006, 12:42 PM   #6
Inactive

visions HB User

Obsessive shopping, as in addicted to shopping, doing it because it makes you feel good, is NOT OCD. Shopping as in hoarding is. As I said before, the first is an OCD SPECTRUM disorder, not OCD and the treatments are not the same. Someone can have OCD and and OCD spectrum disorder, or someone can have a Spectrum disorder and not have OCD. BDD, Trichotilliamania and Eating disorders are also among the OCD SPECTRUM disorders.

The type of shopping, as Angel described, if I understand her correctly, is not an OCD spectrum disorder. She stated her shopping entails wish lists which indicates she derives pleasure from buying things. That is not the case with OCD. There is NOTHING pleasureable about any form of OCD.

You certainly have the right to beleive whatever you want, but for those who want to know the facts so you can get and get into proper treatment, do the homework, the information is readily available.

Old 04-29-2006, 06:54 AM   #7
(female)

Ausomemom2 HB User

Hi Angel, wow..........I am exactly like you. I even could have written this! Everything you described is me to a tee. I HATE the way I am with all the lists and anxiety about it. My brain is a broken record, I can't concentrate sometimes because it's just too full. I was dx'd with OCD in 2003 and I don't care much for it. My husband hates it and is constantly saying things about it. Sometimes when I am in a tissy and anxiously getting the house just so, he says things that hurts me. He actually makes fun of OCD, like we actually choose to be this way or that we can control it. I also have problems with depression. I am on Zoloft. I was in therapy for over a year, but dropped out when my therapist moved to another state. It's so hard to feel safe with a therapist, I didn't want to go through it again. I also have problems with impulse buying, so bad that my husband has banned me from the stores. (the only 2 I went to was Food Lion and Walmart) He does all the grocery shopping now because I just can't control myself and I go way over budget and hurt the family. It makes me so sad to even admit this, I don't know why I can't stop. I am 27, have 2 small boys, and a stepson. My 4 yr old has autism, and I am a stay at home mom. That's a quick run down of me. I am so glad to have found this thread, it's comforting to know there is someone else just like me and who can relate. Hope to talk more.....

Brandy

Closed Thread