It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2006, 05:54 PM   #1
(male)

possie21 HB User
Toilet Hygene Issues

My Daughter has OCD and is well on the way to controlling it but one issue she faces is what is considered normal Hygene or an OCD issue. This one is mainly for women to answer or comment but please advise who wipes a home toilet seat before using a toilet and similar who wipes a public toilet seat.

Cheers

Possie21

Old 08-14-2006, 06:43 AM   #2
(female)

jen_thomson HB User
Re: Toilet Hygene Issues

I do this. I keep lysol wipes everywhere. I wipe the toilet seat at home, and in public (even though I will not actually sit on a public toilet seat, I wipe it anyway). It may be an ocd issue, but it is an issue I wish more people had! Public toilets are nasty. My criteria for something being a "big" ocd issue is this- does the need to do or think something stop me from living my life the way I want to live it. Example- does your daughter shy away from visiting places enjoys because she worries about the toilets? If that's the case, maybe she can do some work with her therapist to find ways to handle it. If this isn't something that keeps her from living her life as she'd like, I wouldn't worry about it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2006, 08:14 AM   #3
(female)

browneyed-babe HB User

I have to say she is just being clean unless of course she is washing it 20 times before she will use it!
All the girls I know would never sit on a public toilet seat - yuk! As far as the seat at home - especially with males in the house (some don't have great aim) - she may feel that it is dirty too although most times we should feel comfortable sitting on our own facilities.
I once watched 20/20 on tv and they did cleanliness test on various things in the home and it was amazing to see that it is actually your kitchen sink that is the dirtiest place in the house - not your toilet! Anyways, they stated everyone should be putting the toilet lid down before they flush as small particals may splash up into the air when the toilet is flushed - big reason you should never have your toothbrush out on your bathroom sink - should always put it away in a cabinet.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:39 AM   #4
(female)

WhoMeObsess? HB User

Oh boy, the idea of toilet flushing and nearby toothbrushes doesn't sit well with me, I didn't even realize that!! I agree with the previosu posters, if it isn't effecting her ability to live her life, it's not a big issue.

Jessica

Old 08-22-2006, 08:01 PM   #5
(female)

Sehsun HB User

I will occasionally wipe a public toilet seat (with many sheets of TP) if I see urine on it. I try very hard to avoid using public toilets, unless I know a certain facility that has newer restrooms/cleaner restrooms.

If I have to use a public toilet, then I always put 1-3 layers of toilet paper on the seat before using it, or I use those toilet seat covers that they offer in the stalls (if they have them).

I don't wipe my home toilet seat before using it, but I spray it with Lysol just about every day and every other week or so I clean it down with Clorox wipes. I also spray my toilet with Lysol after others use my toilet (I have my own bathroom in a 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom apartment but from time to time, I will have visitors).

Old 08-24-2006, 07:00 AM   #6
(male)

dbirchum HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyed-babe
I have to say she is just being clean unless of course she is washing it 20 times before she will use it!
All the girls I know would never sit on a public toilet seat - yuk! As far as the seat at home - especially with males in the house (some don't have great aim) - she may feel that it is dirty too although most times we should feel comfortable sitting on our own facilities.
I once watched 20/20 on tv and they did cleanliness test on various things in the home and it was amazing to see that it is actually your kitchen sink that is the dirtiest place in the house - not your toilet! Anyways, they stated everyone should be putting the toilet lid down before they flush as small particals may splash up into the air when the toilet is flushed - big reason you should never have your toothbrush out on your bathroom sink - should always put it away in a cabinet.
Interesting point about the kitchen sink! That, I didn't know. I always keep my toilet/bathroom clean, but now I have to keep that kitchen sink cleaner!!

Any suggestions/tips for how you guys keep your kitchen sink clean??

Old 08-24-2006, 07:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Punkdizzle HB User

well i am not female... but i will not sit on a public toilet to do #2... i wont even try to clean it or lay paper down on it the thought of it is so nasty to me.. i dont think this is part of my OCD since i have been like that forever and it isnt causing problems in my daily life... ill use ppls toilets i know with out a problem...friends/family.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:45 PM   #8
(female)

scar_chick HB User

yes, i do this sometimes at home after some one else uses it, but as long as i dont know some1 recently used it im fine, i think its actually a good thing that she cleans the public seat b4 she uses it, the only thing that annoys me about that issue is i take for ever to clean it!!!

Old 08-25-2006, 08:49 AM   #9
(female)

browneyed-babe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbirchum
Interesting point about the kitchen sink! That, I didn't know. I always keep my toilet/bathroom clean, but now I have to keep that kitchen sink cleaner!!

Any suggestions/tips for how you guys keep your kitchen sink clean??

The show said you should be wiping down your sink and countertop down with bleach and use a scowering pad on your sink (don't use the scowering pad on your countertop as it will reck it but use a cleaning cloth- look in your drain that is the nastiest place! I have used Vim on my sink and I used an SOS pad to wipe out the drain and then threw out the SOS.
Do not use sponges to wash dishes as they harbor germs - use dishcloths to wash dishes and launder them often.
To tell you the truth I never fill my sink with water and wash dishes that way. I use my dishwasher, and for pots and pans I wash them in the sink and rinse with hot water without ever filling the sink - I use running water - my logic is how can dirty water wash dishes!

Old 09-09-2006, 10:46 PM   #10
(female)

MizzMozart HB User

Unless I'm going to need to spend a long time in the bathroom, I never actually sit on the toilet. I do have issues with using toilet paper, though. I can go through a whole role, by myself, in one day. Anyone who'd lived with me points it out.

Closed Thread