It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

purplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB Userpurplegirl1 HB User
obsessing over past events

I obsess over past events. For example, I obsess over a situation and then I doubt it over and over again, and usually end up making things up and then becoming all confused.. ever do that?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2006, 04:33 PM   #2
(male)

steveo23 HB User
Re: obsessing over past events

Hey purplegirl

Yeah, I used to have a real problem with this. Replaying situations mentally and analyzing them is rumination, and all part of your classic OCD. Of course, realizing that these past events are in the PAST and they have no significance does little for OCD. The thing to remember is that us OCD'ers tend to look for negative things about situations, when they probably didnt exist in the first place.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2006, 12:04 PM   #3
(female)

Nanner1222 HB User

I do this, too, I will go over and over things that happened even long ago, and analyze them. It is always negative, and seems to revolve around mistakes I have made, or whether or not someone approved of me or whatever. Of course I know I can't change the past, but that doesn't stop these thoughts.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, It is weird, I will insist on remembering when I went on a date with someone, meanwhile I have been married 2 years and with my husband 5, so we are talking over 5 years ago these dates were, then I will doubt if they really were before I met my husband, and maybe it was when I was with him and It goes on and on.. but I do go for CT therapy so that helps alot.. I am starting to just realize this is all ocd and I can't help having ocd but I can help the obsessions and compulsions. My therapist says that the constant mental checking and reviewing is really a compulsion; like handwashing, except this is a mental one.. so you have to try to not rethink, like you would w/ a physical one.

Old 08-24-2006, 08:13 PM   #5
(female)

Psychobabble HB User

I can totally relate. My first really bad bout with OCD was when I was 11 (I am 24 now). I would obsess over things I did in the past and feel the need to confess everything! I would even make things up to confess (stuff that I never even did) 'just in case' I did do them. The urge was so strong that I'd wake my parents up at 2-3am to confess some 'horrible' thing I'd done or 'catastrophe' I'd caused.

Now-a-days, I obsess over past issues (feeling guilty about past dates I'd been on, crushes I've had, etc) and constantly confess or ask for reassurance from my boyfriend of 5 years that I am not a bad person and that I really do care about our relationship (I really love this man but I know my OCD issues put major strain on the relationship).

Basically, most all of my obsessions involve ruminating about the past. It's rough...but I'm getting professional help and it's done wonders so far! I hope all you other pure-Os are doing alright out there!

Old 08-27-2006, 08:06 AM   #6
(female)

Nanner1222 HB User

What is amazing to me about this is that I must have some amazing memory! When I start obsessing about some of these past events, I will sometimes ask my husband about them, and he has no idea what I am even talking about even though I am sure he was with me at the time it happened. Why, then, did it make such an impression on me, while he can't even remember it? Sometimes this helps me to see that what I am thinking is really insignificant.

Old 08-29-2006, 05:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am reading all of these responses and I just can't believe that other people "think" the way I do. I have to say that this really helps me to just know that it is the OCD (uh oh maybe a reassurance - oh well, lol). But, seriously, I have a great long term memory b/c of the OCD, I can remember sooo much that when I don't remember something I obsess over not remembering it.. be careful it can backfire too.

Old 08-30-2006, 05:33 AM   #8
(female)

Nanner1222 HB User

I know what you mean, pruplegirl, it is reassuring to know that other people think and feel the same way. I have always had an excellent memory, even as a child, but I never connected it to the OCD. I must say I really envy people with a poor memory. lol

Old 08-31-2006, 06:23 PM   #9
(female)

Psychobabble HB User

I feel the same way as you do about the whole reassurance thing. I too have a very good memory. In fact, my Mom always told me I have a memory like an elephant's! It can get you into trouble as far as OCD goes...haha. But it is nice to know that I'm not the only one who suffers from OCD that uses my good memory against me!

Old 09-09-2006, 11:43 PM   #10
(female)

MizzMozart HB User

I am 20 years old and still, on occassion, obsess over past events that I wish not to remember. I even think about times from grade school and still feel the same embarrassment! I also feel alot of awkwardness for others when something happens, even if they are not embarrassed.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:30 AM   #11
(female)

Yellow78 HB User
Smile Re: obsessing over past events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychobabble View Post
I can totally relate. My first really bad bout with OCD was when I was 11 (I am 24 now). I would obsess over things I did in the past and feel the need to confess everything! I would even make things up to confess (stuff that I never even did) 'just in case' I did do them. The urge was so strong that I'd wake my parents up at 2-3am to confess some 'horrible' thing I'd done or 'catastrophe' I'd caused.

Now-a-days, I obsess over past issues (feeling guilty about past dates I'd been on, crushes I've had, etc) and constantly confess or ask for reassurance from my boyfriend of 5 years that I am not a bad person and that I really do care about our relationship (I really love this man but I know my OCD issues put major strain on the relationship).

Basically, most all of my obsessions involve ruminating about the past. It's rough...but I'm getting professional help and it's done wonders so far! I hope all you other pure-Os are doing alright out there!

This is my first time posting on this message board. I am also 24 and have had OCD since I was a young child. I originally thought that OCD was the reason for my excessive handwashing, double (and triple) checking things to make sure they are off or shut and several other minor obsessions. For awhile, I thought I was going crazy (and still do) because I have been thinking about past events and questioning my boyfriend. The crazy part is this..........its not an event that occurred in my past, it occurred in his. This was before I knew him!! I need to know every detail of the event to feel "better or satisfied". If I don't ask the question it eats me alive inside. I feel better once I have asked the question. Once I have asked the question and feel better, another question pops into me head and the whole viscous cycle starts up again.

The event involves a girl that is both of our friends. I thought maybe I'm insecure (which can be true sometimes) and the event just bothered me but my questions are ridiculous....and then if I forget the response I will ask again in a week or a month. I can't let go!!! If it were just this event then I could probably convince myself that its natural to be bothered by it and ask questions but I have been through the whole asking crazy questions about the past before in previous relationships.....

I went online to do some research and found your post regarding obsessing over the past. It sounds a lot like what happened/has been happening to me. I have always felt the need to confess the smallest things to loved ones even though the things are insignificant.I didn't know whether it was OCD related or just me going insane. I am going to try the cognitive therapy and hope it works. What type of professional help did you seek?

Thanks for your time!

Old 04-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

I've ruminated about past events --especially bad ones-- since I was a very small child. When I was a young adult I had a friend who eventually stopped speaking to me because I was always (in her words) "playing the tapes," that is, telling the same depressing stories over and over.
I still think about things sometimes, but not so often, and I pretty much have my need to tell about them under control. I can share them here if it might help someone not feel like they are the only one with this kind of experience, but I don't need to tell it.
Typing about this right now makes me realize how much progress I've made in the last couple of years since I've been medicated and in therapy.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:23 PM   #13
(male)

WorldInMotion HB User

agreed..i obsess over past girlfriends (what would my life be like had that not ended), drug experiences, arguments with friends, family..it's like my mind has an impeccable recollection of all the things I would rather forget in my life. Anyone feel that?

Old 04-23-2007, 08:49 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

ChaosAD HB User

I am exactly the same way. I obsses over events, but never the good ones. It seems it is always the bad ones. I can get a event in my head and it takes hard work to get it out. This then leads me to my anxiety/depression cause I see these past bad events and the thoughts of what I could have done to change it all take over. So now I'm stuck thinking of bad things then beating myself up for not handling it right or doing something diferent.

I truly hate having OCD while dealing with anxiety/depression. They all seem to feed off of each other.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:16 PM   #15
(male)

WorldInMotion HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStudent View Post
What sort of therapy has helped?
I tried CBT for a few sessions, I lost interest because the doctor I was seeing (it was a doc in the health dept at my university) really turned me off and I didn't enjoy talking to him one bit. I've done a lot on my own helping myself get through these ruts of obsessive thinking and rumination. A lot of mine have to do with past relationships, drug experiences, and family stuff. When you find yourself in the middle of one of these thoughts that seems to not leave you, you gotta say to yourself, "yeah, that Really did suck. But I am still here now and even though I have some anxiety/depression/ocd (whatever it may be) issues, I'm living and getting by. Look forward to other things.

Closed Thread